Is this for real or even what I think it is?

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 pm

I saw this today in the Skyrim SE ''latest'' section of the downloads on Nexus http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8219/?%C2%A0. From what I can tell it basically says you can now use practically any Oldrim mod with Skyrim SE by just downloading the BSA tool and following the instructions. Problem is I'm not real clear on the instructions. It seems like whomever wrote them English might not be their first language. Is it just simply saying to unpack any bsa with this tool and then drop the loose files into the data folder of Skyrim SE? and also just drop the .esp in the data folder? Has anybody else seen or tried this with success? It also seems to indicate that even SOME mods requiring SKSE are working with this method. If there is any truth to any of this I'd like to know from someone that knows more about this than I do and or has tried this.

(copied and pasted from instructions you get when downloading from the link above)

Instruction:

step 1: Download BSA Browser

step 2: Installation in any directory or in new folder

step 3: Download any mod with .bsa archive on TES5 Skyrim

step 4: Unpack .bsa archive in DATA folder in Skyrim SE

step 5: Installation .esp file in DATA folder in Skyrim SE

step 6: Activate mod in game

step 7: Playing and enjoy

Warning: mod could have .bsa archive(s)

Warning 2: some mods that need SKSE working, but not without bugs
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 am

This looks like nothing more than a bsa unpacking tool. Unpacking a bsa file and installing the resulting loose files is not recommended unless you really know what you are doing because unpacking bsa files may lead to bad results if you are not very careful about managing the resulting loose file conflicts.

In any event, there is more to converting mods from Oldrim to SSE than just dealing with the new bsa format. The bsa format change is only one of many changes that require attention. The nif files inside the bsa may need to be converted, the esp itself needs to be converted (which may require some work if there is water flow data involved), etc. etc.

So, no, the simple answer is that unpacking the bsa is not by itself sufficient to convert a mod from Oldrim to SSE .

If you are interested in the subject of porting mods to SSE, here is a https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4633-skyrim-se-things-to-know-when-converting-standard-mods-to-sse/that discusses the various issues in detail.

Matt Terry

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:23 am

That's what I was thinking. This loos like the same thing BSA unpacker that I use does. Thanks.

An Lor

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 am

That's definitely not a good idea since unported ESP files can lead to random crashes and other weird bugs that are very hard to diagnose. Not to mention unported meshes can have their own issues in some cases, and there are some instances of texture formats which will crash SSE that Classic could handle just fine.

There will never be a magic bullet. The process of porting has to be done properly and carefully and only the original mod author is going to know for sure how to do that without messing something up.

Nicole Kraus

Return to V - Skyrim