Psyonics & Fallout (Lore discussion)

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 am

I have been poring over what I can find, and I am not seeing anything mention of psyonics though Fo 1-4 lore. Is there any in the series? With the different strains of mutations available throughout the North American Landscape is there any possibility that we may see the emergence of psyonics or "Clark's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Fallout 4 seemes to be missing that scenes of wonder often found in rpg's. It feels like its missing that trifecta commonly found in similar series of the Warrior/Rogue/Wizard, Commando/Scoundrel/Jedi, or even something akin to magic/fantasy set up in the Shadowrun franchise where the two seamlessly overlaps . We have Melee, and we have ranged, but little to no x-fantasy.

Kaley X

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Anything like that "trifecta" never existed in a Fallout game as far as I'm aware. There is, however, special mutated people across the games known as Psykers who are rarely mentioned as such, because they are far and few inbetween. Mama Murphy, is an example of one, she uses chems to foresee the future.

ruCkii

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:22 am

The Master possessed psionic powers in Fallout 1 and had a few mentally unstable psykers in the Cathedral. Also that kid in New Vegas and the old woman in Fallout 4.
alicia hillier

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Instead of Warrior/Rogue/Wizard, we have Combat/Stealth/Diplomat as the Fallout trifecta.

Essentially, one shoots you in the face, the other plants a grenade in your pocket after stealing your caps, and the third convinces you to stop raiding and open a legitimate business.

Nice one

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 am

Got a vague recollection you couldn't take on the Master in FO1 without some component. Thats all I can think of. Unless you count the fortune telling scammer kid in new vegas.

Charlie Ramsden

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Along with those pointing up. (since I am having tactics flashbacks heheh) The Beastlords seemed to have a genetic mutation that let them control animals. (pretty much a full out animal friend in later games ) maybe not exactly what you mean though

Claire Lynham

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:30 am

To add to the examples already mentioned, there is also Harkunin in Fallout 2 and Professor Calvert in Fallout 3.

So there is an example in every Fallout.

Marguerite Dabrin

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Lakelurks--- is their attack a sonic one, or a psionic one?

courtnay

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:40 am

This.

I absolutely love the fact that the three styles of dealing with a situation in Fallout aren't different styles of combat.

I always love how they are always there but so little attention is ever given to them. Never too much of a spotlight on something that would be more difficult to appreciate if it was more in your face.

Almost certain it's sonic, just by the look of the effect, what the wiki says ("attack by using shrieking sonic pulse waves to stun enemies"), and the fact that psionics are generally really rare to begin with to the point that the writer's first choice probably wouldn't be to make these creatures psionic.

Eric Hayes

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 pm

I am not so much arguing the lack of "class" roles. I would just like to see more on the psychic aspect. Hell. Maybe even have one of the dlc's introduce a little power as long as its not manditory/op.

Romy Welsch

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:51 am

sonic and psychic are not the same thing.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Return to Fallout Series Discussion