Re-release Morrowind

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 am

I was thinking how neat it would be if Morrorwind was re-released with say Oblivion’s game engine and graphics or just the latest out there. They do this with movies why not a video game. I think Beth could turn a decent profit doing this, i think its worth a try some day down the road.
NO suckers In Here

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 pm

I was thinking how neat it would be if Morrorwind was re-released with say Oblivion’s game engine and graphics or just the latest out there. They do this with movies why not a video game. I think Beth could turn a decent profit doing this, i think its worth a try some day down the road.

this has been discussed before, and it's not very plausible. If it were to run under oblivion's game engine, the entire game would need to be rebuilt (still a big project if it's just the graphics) and it would not draw in the majority of the people who would rather pay 10 dollars for the original than 60 for an update with no new content. I, myself, never found graphics to be an important part of the game; if it's fun, mechanically sound and has a good story, I couldn't care less if it's text based or modern graphics. It just isn't worth it.
jessica robson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:50 am

There are 2 mod projects doing this using opensource engines here's the link to http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1077461-openmw-newester-thread-4/page__view__findpost__p__15682305

There was a separate mod being created in Oblivion that recreates Morrowind - unsure of progress of this
Sophie Louise Edge

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:11 am

If Morrowind would be re-released to run in the Oblivion engine our distant land and water would be worse than what we can get now. :P
Emily Rose

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 am

As far as I see, MW is a different game from OB. I''ve enjoyed both but I'm committed to MW. A lot of other players say the opposite but that's why both games are still around.
Still crazy after all these years.
A.
ashleigh bryden

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:12 am

If Morrowind would be re-released to run in the Oblivion engine our distant land and water would be worse than what we can get now.

True.
Using MGE, Morrowind has surpassed Oblivion is those aspects.

And like others have stated, I see no reason why Bethesda would ever update Morrowind like that. It's never going to happen, and that's just fine. Modders have done more than Bethesda even thought possible, so we'll continue doing it alone :P

There was a separate mod being created in Oblivion that recreates Morrowind - unsure of progress of this

I think it still exists, but of course we cannot discuss it here.
In my opinion, I think it totally ruins the feel of Morrowind anyways. Everything looses it's uniqueness that it has on the MW engine.
Andy durkan

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm

The original movies are always better, unless they svcked in the first place. I'm perfectly fine with Morrowind's graphics, they're outdated but they're not terrible and still have a lot of charm for me, Morrowind with the Oblivion engine wouldn't look particularly good for me really.
Joey Avelar

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm

In my opinion, I think it totally ruins the feel of Morrowind anyways. Everything looses it's uniqueness that it has on the MW engine.

The only thing I can think of is better animation and scripting or just scripted animation, but that's entirely up to gamesas to decide imo. :)
George PUluse

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm

The only thing I can think of is better animation and scripting or just scripted animation, but that's entirely up to gamesas to decide imo. :)

i dunno about scripting, never tried for oblivion, but reading the differences leads me to believe you can do a bit more in morrowind.
Amysaurusrex

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Being able to cast spells without having to go in 'magic mode' would've been nice. There's a mod for it but still...
Hannah Barnard

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:58 pm

While it would be nice, once the intial OMG it's Morrowind with Oblivion or "updated graphics", that will wear off, and then it's "been there done that already" so it's not really feasable. Graphics are great, but after 12 hours or so, they wear off and you become use to it. That is when game play matters more than graphics. So if you have played Morrowind before, it's doing the same thing over and over again then. So you might as well do it it with Morrowind right now.

I just want TES V to come out. I don't want to play something I have done already. Well I am restarting Morrowind right now, so I guess I am lieing then. LOL :D
Laura Samson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:29 am

Graphics are great, but after 12 hours or so, they wear off and you become use to it.

i dunno, MGE finds ways to amaze me every day.
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:58 pm

i dunno about scripting, never tried for oblivion, but reading the differences leads me to believe you can do a bit more in morrowind.

Comparing both Vanilla games, maybe. But although I don't know exactly how advanced MWSE is, I could affirm that OBSE is a thousand times more advanced. Besides, it's still in development, (sadly) unlike MWSE.
Heather M

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:38 pm

For me, and likely many others, the biggest problem with doing this is that it would render all of the existing mods incompatible.
Misty lt

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 am

I just want TES V to come out.

Comparing both Vanilla games, maybe. But although I don't know exactly how advanced MWSE is, I could affirm that OBSE is a thousand times more advanced. Besides, it's still in development, (sadly) unlike MWSE.

For me, and likely many others, the biggest problem with doing this is that it would render all of the existing mods incompatible.

And that's why I'd rather see the fanmade engine replacer OpenMW finished, than a Bethesda re-release on the Oblivion/FO3 engine. Freedom and compatibility!
Franko AlVarado

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Im a huge fan of Morrowind and i honostly think if it were done on oblivions engine it would be better in every way, like making a perfect 10 of a game even better. WHy oh why didnt morrowind come out in 2006 and oblivion in 2002 lol. Morrowind with oblivions engine and graphics would be the one game to rule them all. I realise this will likely never happen even with mods but the ideas been in my head for a long time. I figured id lay it down here maybe Todd Howard will read this and see what a wonderfull idea it is.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jessica Lloyd

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 am

to be brutally honest, i'd rather have daggerfall on morrowind's engine.
Crystal Birch

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:24 am

Freedom and compatibility!

And better quaility i'd say
Marine x

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:41 am

I'm more of a new project over re-release kind of guy. For instance, I would rather them take that time to make a new
Elder Scrolls Adventures title instead of updating Morrowind.
Jani Eayon

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:41 am

Im a huge fan of Morrowind and i honostly think if it were done on oblivions engine it would be better in every way, like making a perfect 10 of a game even better. WHy oh why didnt morrowind come out in 2006 and oblivion in 2002 lol. Morrowind with oblivions engine and graphics would be the one game to rule them all. I realise this will likely never happen even with mods but the ideas been in my head for a long time. I figured id lay it down here maybe Todd Howard will read this and see what a wonderfull idea it is.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The magic of Morrowind would be ruined with Oblivons engine and physics. Lots of people like Morrowind because it is hard, there is no compas and no hand holding. With Morrowind being "static" not moving characters are not traveling so it's easy to find them. We don't have to worry the NPC we are looking for is at his house, or at the pub or traveling in the woods. So we don't need a compass to show where the NPC is. With Oblivion being "non static" or moving we will not know where the NPC can be so hence why we need a compass to show us where the NPC is and where to find him.

I am 100% sure, if Morrowind had Oblivions graphics and engine, that it wouldn't be the Morrowind we all cherish and love.

I still can't believe people are saying Morrowinds graphics are no good. When if first came out, people were praising how beautiful Morrowind is. That would be like saying that Arena's graphics are horrible. For it's time it was great, just like Morrowind is. Problem is, people either came later to Morrowind and are use to better graphics, or forget how awsome Morrowind was when it first came out. So no, Morrowind doesn't need a graphics overhaul. MGE is great enough.
Laura Richards

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am

While it would be nice, once the intial OMG it's Morrowind with Oblivion or "updated graphics", that will wear off, and then it's "been there done that already" so it's not really feasable. Graphics are great, but after 12 hours or so, they wear off and you become use to it. That is when game play matters more than graphics.

Just like a woman hahaha
Logan Greenwood

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 am

It would just be a waste of time.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:16 pm

I don't know, maybe it is me, but I feel even things that are great can be improved, if just a little. There is no denying the beauty of Morrowind now with the inclusion of Psychodog Studio's Better Bodies, the plugin-less head replacer of Vvardefell Visages, and the equally impressive Better Clothes, which now makes all in game clothing flow and wrap around the Better Bodies more naturally. Not to mention the other aesthetic mods that just changed the superficial and greatly improved the immersion.

For large landmasses, I echo the person who said they wanted to see Daggerfall, with the current engine. I find it wholly silly when many state that it would inherently be bad because they are basing it off of the graphics equivalent of stone knives and bear skins of its original inception. That is like saying one would never drive a car because the Model T was too much work to do, in the age of a Dodge Viper.

They only way we could remotely know is to see how it would look with those that are talented enough to make the attempt. I saw the screenies of the project Morroblivion, and I must say, that I would love to play an Oblivion that had both of the games landmasses in it, just for the sake of exploration. That is why my current Morrowind and my wife's Oblivion on her computer each have nearly all new landmass mods added. For the love of exploring the world at large. Even if they are empty, it isn't a failure, because there will always be someone who is inspired to fill it with peoples, quests, or tweak it to something phenomenal.

I understand the frustration of the console gamer, as they are limited to the game as it is as it was made for their respective machine. But when you see and experience it on the other platform, see and feel what these games can be, you get to realize just how timeless The Elder Scrolls really are.
Ruben Bernal

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:10 pm

Re-releasing morrowind with better graphics and whatnot is a waste of time, I'd rather wait for TES 5, thats all I have to say.

BTW does anyone know if morrowind will work on windows 7?
Breautiful

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 am

BTW does anyone know if morrowind will work on windows 7?

It works for me at least. Just avoid installing in the default folder. I heard it can cause a few problems.
James Rhead

Next

Return to III - Morrowind