Remarkable Similarities Between (Stephen King's) "The St

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Has anyone else ever read "The Stand" by Stephen King? Literally just last week I finished reading the uncut edition of the book. Since starting New Vegas around 4 hours ago, I've already noticed quite a few striking coincidences between New Vegas and The Stand. If anybody else has read the book, and also noticed some similarities, feel free to share them here.

1. The 'New California Republic and the Legion are quite similar to the Boulder Free Zone and Las Vegas factions from The Stand.

2. Mr. House from NV seems (from what I've heard) to resemble the character of Randall Flagg, to a degree.

3. The use of crucifixion as punishment, involving a crossed pair of telephone poles, in both stories.

4. Both take place after most human life has been exterminated, nuclear war being the cause in Fallout, the "Captain Trips" superflu being the cause in The Stand.

5. The general location of the stories are both set in the area of Las Vegas and Nevada, as well as Colorado in The Stand.

These are what I have so far, feel free to add your own, those of you who've read the book. I'll be updating with any more I find as I play.
louise hamilton

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 2:52 pm

The Stand is probably my favorite book of all time. Yeah and there are a lot of similarities between the two. I might have to read it a second time now, if you plan on picking it up don't buy the Uncut Expanded Edition - get the regular one.
Lynette Wilson

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 am

The Stand is probably my favorite book of all time. Yeah and there are a lot of similarities between the two. I might have to read it a second time now, if you plan on picking it up don't buy the Uncut Expanded Edition - get the regular one.

Too late lol, reading it mostly at school, it took me a month to finish. Worth every bit of the time it took though lol.
Stacey Mason

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm

They're similar in the broad sense that they're both post-apocalyptic and both use Las Vegas as part of their setting.

Hardly remarkable similarities.
Greg Swan

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 pm

They're similar in the broad sense that they're both post-apocalyptic and both use Las Vegas as part of their setting.

Hardly remarkable similarities.

Aaaaand they're also similar in all the other ways I just mentioned, a couple of which are quite remarkable.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 4:09 pm

As if I needed another reason to play this game as soon as it finished downloading.

I hope you're happy.
le GraiN

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 2:22 am

I just finished The Stand for the first time a week ago as well. I wondered wether or not they'd be similar. (I can't start until the husband is around tomorrow night.)

Kalamar - What's wrong with the uncut version? I enjoyed every single page of it.
Soph

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 am

SPOILARZ

Here's another one: Jason Bright, the civilized ghoul in the Repconn facility talks about visions of a "Great Beyond" that he plans to help other ghouls reach, similar to the dreams the survivors had of Mother Abagail in The Stand.

Lol, this is too easy.
Crystal Birch

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Here's another one: Jason Bright, the civilized ghoul in the Repconn facility talks about visions of a "Great Beyond" that he plans to help other ghouls reach, similar to the dreams the survivors had of Mother Abagail in The Stand.

I dunno, I think that's a bit of a stretch. There are a lot of things out there with the Mythical Paradise Land motif.

I think I'm going to toggle no collision just to get to Mr. House and see how much he references Randall.
Cagla Cali

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 7:01 pm

I enjoyed the extended version. it gave you more of an insight to the story at hand. I was kinda hoping for a Randell Flagg but as a companion. I think that would've been cool
Louise

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Aaaaand they're also similar in all the other ways I just mentioned, a couple of which are quite remarkable.

The only similarities in the things you mentioned are covered in what I said.

1. The 'New California Republic and the Legion are quite similar to the Boulder Free Zone and Las Vegas factions from The Stand.

Not really, no. They have almost nothing in common.

2. Mr. House from NV seems (from what I've heard) to resemble the character of Randall Flagg, to a degree.

Along with thousands of other antagonists. I would not be surprised, however, if he's not inspired by Randall in some way. That doesn't make New Vegas like The Stand in any remarkable way.

3. The use of crucifixion as punishment, involving a crossed pair of telephone poles, in both stories.

It's a real punishment that has existed for thousands of years, hardly remarkable.

4. Both take place after most human life has been exterminated, nuclear war being the cause in Fallout, the "Captain Trips" superflu being the cause in The Stand.

Like I said, they're post-apocalyptic. If having the same general theme is remarkable then every high fantasy game, movie, or show is remarkably similar to each other as well.

5. The general location of the stories are both set in the area of Las Vegas and Nevada, as well as Colorado in The Stand.

They share one location, Las Vegas.

If you consider sharing one location and a very broad theme remarkable then OK. Using this logic I could find that just about any entertainment product is remarkably similar to any other. After all I'm sure I can find an evil mastermind in Spiderman, and they both involve a city, and they're both in the United States, and they both have mutants. They similarities there are remarkable.
Emma Copeland

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 pm

LOL @ raider, just what I was thinking lol.
Alan Cutler

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I will wait to see if we have a small part character voiced by Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Yeah, I brought up The Stand mini series. I will say that is one of the best book adaptations I have ever come across and probably the best to TV one. My opinion of course.
Marine Arrègle

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 pm

OK, one of the cities in the game is named Boulder, similar? I think so.

Even if it is geographically correct lol.
Breautiful

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 am

IT can't really be helped that they are simular, even FO3 was some what simular for no other reason than they were both post apocolyptic.

Why, its longer sure but if you ask me its better, although I haven't read the uncut.
Terry

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 4:20 am

All the Fallout games had inspiration from pop-culture post-apocalypse. Some of the parallels between NV and the Stand seem like they could either be intentional or coincidence. Note that NCR and Ceaser's Legion existed prior to New Vegas.
vanuza

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 9:21 pm

The town of Freeside...similar to the Free Zone from The Stand.
Kate Norris

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 am

The similarities begin and end with the post-apocalyptic setting.
James Wilson

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm

The Burned Man from Caesar's Legion resembles the Trashcan Man in many ways, from The Stand.

He was lit on fire as punishment, Trashcan had an obsession with fire, therefore they are both associated with fire.

The Burned Man led the Legion to a disastrous defeat at Hoover Dam, Trashcan Man technically ended up killing everybody, thus a disastrous defeat for Randall Flagg, who Caesar resembles quite a bit.
Chica Cheve

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 pm

I started a topic similar to this several months ago. And I'm rpud to say I finished the Uncut edition of The Stand in three days (Only cause I liked it so much :P) :D ..

And, of course, my second play through will be with either Trashcan Man or Tom Cullen :3
gemma

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Has anyone else ever read "The Stand" by Stephen King?

We seem to have http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1120993-the-stand/ of The Stand on this forum :)
Melis Hristina

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Not a fan of King. Religious undertones, and more often patently in your face screaming tones get on my nerves after a couple hundred pages. Only story of King's I've enjoyed is a short titled Battleground. The movie adaptations of his books I haven't read tend to blow. B-movies most of them. I think Shawshank Redemption, Misery, and Green Mile are the only three worth seeing.

Too much religion man, makes your writing go... boring. lol
Marcus Jordan

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 4:28 am

I recall a post some time ago suggesting there be a refference in NV to the book, maybe the devs listened.
Karine laverre

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 7:03 pm

The movie adaptations of his books I haven't read tend to blow. B-movies most of them. I think Shawshank Redemption, Misery, and Green Mile are the only three worth seeing.

that actually isn't an accident, King is a big fan of b-movies. He even wrote/directed this one horror movie called the scarecrow (or something) but was basicly some kid gets killed by these jerks so he comes back as a scare crow and kills them all. there were like 3 sequels and they all were terrible.
Christie Mitchell

Post » Thu May 13, 2010 3:25 am

Has anyone else ever read "The Stand" by Stephen King? Literally just last week I finished reading the uncut edition of the book. Since starting New Vegas around 4 hours ago, I've already noticed quite a few striking coincidences between New Vegas and The Stand. If anybody else has read the book, and also noticed some similarities, feel free to share them here.

These are what I have so far, feel free to add your own, those of you who've read the book. I'll be updating with any more I find as I play.

Maybe they should change the name of New Vegas to "Siboola".

Go Trash Can Man!!!!! :celebration:
Rach B

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas