Run speed and jump height

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 am

how do you think this will work since speed, athletics, and acrobatics are all gone?

will increasing stamina increase how fast we run and how high we can jump or will it just affect how long we can sprint? or maybe there could be perks?

i always liked being super fast and to be able to jump high but i don't know if i'd like being the same speed on every character i make... :\
Lynne Hinton

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:21 am

We don't know. sorry. No information has been given. If all the perks are tied to skills, can't see how there can be any for jumping and running either.
Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

I think stamina will just affect hold long we can sprint (And let you perform power attacks). As for what will improved speed and jumping? We will have perks, spells, equipment, dragon shouts, and potions,
Miranda Taylor

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:45 am

i really feel like body type will have a bearing on how fast you move and on your starting health/magicka/stamina, with further specialization through perks. it seems like the most natural thing to do, given the lack of attributes.

ed does anybody else find it weird actually calling it "stamina"? i mean that's what it IS but it's been "fatigue" forever. it's hard to adapt to.
ImmaTakeYour

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:53 am

i really feel like body type will have a bearing on how fast you move and on your starting health/magicka/stamina, with further specialization through perks. it seems like the most natural thing to do, given the lack of attributes.

ed does anybody else find it weird actually calling it "stamina"? i mean that's what it IS but it's been "fatigue" forever. it's hard to adapt to.

Which skill would the perks fit under?

Anyway, stamina makes a lot more sense. Fatigue would only make sense if it was a bar that started at zero and filled up as you exert yourself.
Red Sauce

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 am

Which skill would the perks fit under?

Anyway, stamina makes a lot more sense. Fatigue would only make sense if it was a bar that started at zero and filled up as you exert yourself.

i know it makes more sense, but it's been fatigue since Arena. it's one of those things you'd never actually expect them to change because it would have no bearing on anything.

nobody knows the skills yet but i think jump height stuff would fit pretty decently under whatever collective stealth skill they've got. if movement speed is tied to your body type they could have it so each level you get a little faster, maybe.
kiss my weasel

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:34 am

I'm guessing stamina affects speed. Not sure about jump height. Maybe nothing?
Claire

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Be about the 50th time I have posted this. If run speed doesn't affect the height and length of your jumps, there is something seriously wrong. Walk then jump forward, then run and jump forward, notice the difference, so utterly basic I am worried it has been overlooked.
dell

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 am

I concur with hlvr's statement
Jonathan Egan

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

I think Race will determine how fast you can run and Jump Height will be at a default setting like Fallout 3.
Chris BEvan

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:14 pm

i think there will be perks that let us run faster and jump higher but not to the radical of oblivion
Stephanie Valentine

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:41 am

I'm really worried that every race/char is going to have the same running speed and jump height. That's what it seems like so far and I don't like it!
Kieren Thomson

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:15 am

I would hope that your armor (what you are wearing) and how encumbered you are have an effect on you movement speed and jumping height/distance. If this is not in the default game, it will be one of the first things I'll attempt to mod (along with Race and Gender differences . . . if they are not present).
lauraa

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:52 am

Like everyone said, no skills no perks, Racial divides? probably but it would be annoying that I can't jump gates as an Orc, or that I can only run faster than a spider chasing me if i was a woodelf or Khajiit, and Redgaurds have Adrenaline rush (or did) as a racial ability and are the fastest with that power.

So far we have nothing so.....wait it out I guess.
ZANEY82

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:33 am

I really cannot express how disapointed I would be if there is no way to increase these things...
Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:17 am

I would hope that your armor (what you are wearing) and how encumbered you are have an effect on you movement speed and jumping height/distance. If this is not in the default game, it will be one of the first things I'll attempt to mod (along with Race and Gender differences . . . if they are not present).

armor affected run speed in OB i dont see why it wouldn't in skyrim.but armor should not be the only thing becuse i could just unequipt my armor run as fat as anyone else then when i get into a battle i just reequipt it agian.

Racial diffrences would be cool but it should not be the only thing that makes me run faster, and im sure beth is trying to implement how this will work without attrubutes, they said they wanted to get rid of the random one, speed is not one it adds more customization to the character, somthing beth is trying to do more with skyrim.possibly fatigue will affect run speed. the weight of your armor most likely will.your race may, and they may add perks to increase run speed and jump height.

if there is no way to increase this alot of people (including myself) will be dissapointed even Fallout 3 had a way to increase run speed.
Sheila Reyes

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:03 am

If stamina itself increases run speed and jump height, I fear it might become too powerful compared to health and magicka.
We already know that stamina increases encumbrance; it really shouldn't become the solution to fix everything that has been removed with attributes.
Dj Matty P

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:48 pm

armor affected run speed in OB i dont see why it wouldn't in skyrim.but armor should not be the only thing becuse i could just unequipt my armor run as fat as anyone else then when i get into a battle i just reequipt it agian.

I'm hoping that Skyrim doesn't allow you to do such unrealistic things as freezing combat while you open you inventory and change into your armor.

"Umm, guys . . . I need a timeout, so that I can put on my armor . . . the darn stuff slows me down too much, and it makes me look fat. Now boys, if you'll be so kind as to turn around . . . I'll be ready in a sec."

Ideally, your entire inventory would be off-limits during combat . . . so you'll have to rely only on your hotkeyed items.

I'm also hoping that more than just running and jumping abilities will be affected by race (and gender).
Marine Arrègle

Post » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 pm

I expect runspeed will likely be race related and have perks in speechcraft and or mercantile and light armor.

As for jumpheight.. I expect race and perks in sneak and light armor will impact it maybe even a perk in mercantile involving tomb raiding... heck some perks might effect both.
Kaylee Campbell

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:33 am

The problem with jump height is that there has been no way to grab onto something and pull yourself up. This means that we needed the unrealistic jump height in order to get up onto ledges that in the real world someone could jup up, grab the edge and climb up.

I would really want to see realistic jumping combined with a ledge grabbing mechanic. Without a way to grab ledges though, the unrealistic jump height needs to stay for the sake of realistic mobility. I just hate when there is a four foot ledge that my character can't get up becuase he has no way to climb and a jump height of 3 feet max.

I personally want to know how we will be able to boost running speed and jump height because without an Athletics or Acrobatics skill, where will the perks go?
Jani Eayon

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:10 am

I'm hoping that Skyrim doesn't allow you to do such unrealistic things as freezing combat while you open you inventory and change into your armor.

"Umm, guys . . . I need a timeout, so that I can put on my armor . . . the darn stuff slows me down too much, and it makes me look fat. Now boys, if you'll be so kind as to turn around . . . I'll be ready in a sec."

Ideally, your entire inventory would be off-limits during combat . . . so you'll have to rely only on your hotkeyed items.

I'm also hoping that more than just running and jumping abilities will be affected by race (and gender).

ha i agree with you, usally i never would take my armor of in OB, and i kept myself away form my inventory when in battles, but if they do let you, ill mod it so i can't.or someone else probably will.
Lisa

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Woah Woah, wait a minute! Do I sense a problem with the new character definition system? NO WAY! I thought perks would free us to make even more diverse characters. And now it seems at least some of you are finally realizing that replacing a 100 step approximation (attributes) of a continuous system (real life strength, speed, etc...) with a seven or eight step approximation (perks) is a choice that moves us away from freedom and character diversity rather than toward it. So unless they pull something out of their collective hat pretty quickly here, the jumping and running speed mechanics will likely be very reminiscent of the sort of thing you'd see in an action game, i.e. no customization or development at all.

And remember, the only attributes that really mean anything are intelligence, willpower, and endurance. Including any of the other attributes would force you into playing a certain kind of character :( (you mean my mage can't carry as much as a barbarian?!!!1 WAAAAAAAH) :facepalm: As a result there will be nothing left to affect running speed or jump height other than perks.

So we're left with one of three options, either everyone will run at the same rate and jump to the same height, or increasing either of those two things will be like buying a syringe of steroids and injecting them directly into your leg (i.e. the progress will be drastic), or Bethesda has yet to reveal some third method of character development besides magically increasing your derived attributes or picking perks.
Crystal Clear

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 am

I'm really worried that every race/char is going to have the same running speed and jump height. That's what it seems like so far and I don't like it!

I have a feeling this is true, which is really sad.
Lady Shocka

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:26 pm

khajit should have a small boost in jump. argonians should be able to swim faster than other races. im actually thinking that an jumping or running perks would fit nicely in the stealth category since usually thieves are busy running away from people with stolen loot. :)
Sarah Unwin

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:36 am

khajit should have a small boost in jump. argonians should be able to swim faster than other races. im actually thinking that an jumping or running perks would fit nicely in the stealth category since usually thieves are busy running away from people with stolen loot. :)

if thats the only way to change it, no way. That would mean that everyone who wants to be a nimble quick character would HAVE to be bosmer or kahjiit, way too limiting.
rebecca moody

Next

Return to V - Skyrim