Saint Vorys, a typical Telvanni sarcasm?

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 9:47 am

Recently I encountered the book http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Mottos_of_the_Dunmeri_Great_Houses, in which it states:

I'm sure I've never seen this "Saint Vorys" from the Morrowind book of Tribunal saints. So I came to the forum for help, and very lucky of me, I found some detailed information.

Thank you Umpteen.

My first glance at this "Saint Vorys" leads me to think it a Telvanni joke, or a Tribunal obsession of all Great Houses under their wings. As we knew from Morrowind, the Telvanni hardly gave the Tribunal a damn and the Tribunal usually left them be unless too much urgent happened. It is just hard to imagine the Telvanni being religious people and whole-heartly chose themselves a patron saint. However, after reading those provided above, I suddenly realize that, maybe it is not only a spelling similarity between "Vorys the Immolant" and "Voryn Dagoth"?

First. Of course, according to the name, Vorys should be a martyr, or being sacrificed. And what happened in the Red Mountain dragonbreak could be interpreted as the Tribunal sacrificed both Nerevar and Voryn in order to gain the power of godhood.

Second. By spirit the Telvanni are mostly related to Sotha Sil, and Sotha Sil used to communicate with several (at least one) of the house senior members. And the curiosity of the mages is endless. They may not have touched the truth, but they also may know much more on this subject than other religious Dunmer.

Third. Vorys was portraited in the above notes as a magus, or something similar. Voryn, as we all know, was a sorcerer.

Fourth. The words of Vorys are all about burning. And Dagoth Ur was under the Volcano.

Fifth. "The magus is superior not by what she has, but by what she has not." This could be interpreted as the wisdom to the arrogant mages for sure. But on the other hand, such words fit exactly to the status of a Rebel, who is Rebel because he is not King, and he is in an enantiomorph.

Sixth. "The purpose of the burning pariah is to confront the evil of the world." Dagoth Ur was burning under Red Mountain, but he was sacrificed for the good of Dunmer.

Seventh. "The magus, being a mother to all sins glorious, is to consume herself until blackened." Dagoth Ur surely became the chief demon in the Tribunal Faith.

For these, I just don't think it would be merely a coincidence. If it is, then I would find it less interesting.

Of course, I am not suggesting the Telvanni all for Dagoth Ur. What I'm suggesting is, as some arrogant people who might know some facet of the truth (but may not all), and see the Tribunal mere someone powerful that maybe one day they themselves might surpass, they could use their knowledge to produce such sarcasm to make themselves feel great. And the other Houses may even not understand what they're truly talking about, which would more satisfy their arrogance.

Ricky Meehan

Post » Fri May 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Sorry - the thing I added, that was made up. Not an in-game finding. Should have made that clear. I was just trying to add something to a subject which seemed interesting.

However, you've gone and made it much better.

Maddy Paul

Post » Fri May 09, 2014 10:16 pm

That's all right. Your addition really made the whole "Saint Volys" thing more plausible, or less ridiculous thanks to the teso lore. And it is the Monkey Truth that would one day rule the Aurbis in every corner of reality. :D

Robert Jackson

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion