TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 149,

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 pm

I know, but I roleplayin in oblivion was difficult.

Example: For paladins they could have made ill people in the cities, maybe some randomly spawning thieves in the city for you to arrest. They could have made paladin spells like "turn daedra" or "divine damage" and a bunch of other things. Instead, I am forced to imagin my "damage health" spells is "holy damage" and I only use this spell on daedra.

Paladins, Well they had the knights of the Nine, but I definitely missed a way to become a guard, but I guess that would have been weird since you came from the prison.
Helen Quill

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 am

I know this has been suggested before, but we need throwing weapons back. I myself rarely used them, but I can see how they could be useful. I really don't know why they were removed in Oblivion, they're really great IMO.

The reason throwing weapons were bad in Morrowind (generally, until you come across the Dwemer darts, which were awesome) is their low damage, low enchantment bodies.

However, if TES V included a cripple system as Fallout 3 did (and it definitely SHOULD. There is nothing that makes it not realistic or out of place for TES V), then throwing weapons would have their place as fast cripplers. Attack someone's legs so they can't run away, or throw stars at their hands to make them drop their weapon. They would act as a multipurpose weapon. Easy to use non-lethally to cripple different parts of the body. The addition of poison to coat weapons, as in Oblivion, would make thrown weapons even better. One could coat their stars with a poison that reduced the target's speed. A single star could effectively trap the target.
vanuza

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:29 pm

I have a feeling folks are gonna disagree with me; but one of the major things which has caused Oblivion to far less immersive (and seemingly smaller) than Morrowind is that you can "fast-travel" from any outside location.

In Morrowind, until you got a hold of the proper spells/scrolls, at the very least you had to walk to the nearest town with a Silt Strider or mages guild. In Oblivion, which is hillarious, we were given the option to purchase horses (something people really wanted in Morrowind) and at the same time they removed the need for them.

"I have a horse, now I can get from place to place faster! Oh, wait. . . *fast travel*."

Keep the horses, lose the fast travel, IMO.
Eire Charlotta

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 am

I have a feeling folks are gonna disagree with me; but one of the major things which has caused Oblivion to far less immersive (and seemingly smaller) than Morrowind is that you can "fast-travel" from any outside location.

In Morrowind, until you got a hold of the proper spells/scrolls, at the very least you had to walk to the nearest town with a Silt Strider or mages guild. In Oblivion, which is hillarious, we were given the option to purchase horses (something people really wanted in Morrowind) and at the same time they removed the need for them.

"I have a horse, now I can get from place to place faster! Oh, wait. . . *fast travel*."

or at least bring back the traveling system in morrowind where you had to pay to travel
Jack

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 pm

ORZON, I agree. perhaps throwing weapons could do little overall damage but a lot of crippling damage?
Fluffer

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:50 am

You really don't have to use fast-travel. Fast-travel is optional. Just because you can't resist using it but you don't want to doesn't mean those who like the fast-travel system should suffer. I really don't see what the problem is with fast-travel in Oblivion. Why do you hate it?
Michelle Chau

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Fast travel is optional, what pissed me off was that you didn't have any other mode of fast travel if you didn't want to.
butterfly

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 am

There already been great lenghts of arguments about fast-travels before, please use the http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1045305 for that instead of clutter up this thread.
SiLa

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:02 pm

The Obl. fast travel feels cheap and uninspired solution, plus it is kinda immersion breaking element. There are better ways of doing it.

- E - Ooops, in after moderation...
Aliish Sheldonn

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:52 pm

To add to the roleplay discussion.

- Next time I'd like to see more content to the roleplaying part. If I want to be a vampire hunter, then I should once in a while see a person getting chased by at the night. Or maybe hear someone screaming "Help!" and I got to where the screaming came from, and see a vampire drink aonther persons blood. Maybe we should even be awekened at night and a dialog pops up "You wake up as you hear someone approching your bed" and it is a vampire who is just about to bite you. And if you leave enough garlic at the door, you chances of getting visited by a vampire is decreased, based on how much garlic you have.

For mages, there could be several alchemical recipes that can be bought, or maybe we can even write our own recipes. I also want to see several abandoned towers, where a mage can live.

There are so many other things that can help spike up the roleplaying by adding alot of content
Haley Cooper

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:53 am

Meriks Might I have included the storyline of my character Merick who I am super proud of and love.
Wish list & story line
1) Character can animate eating/drinking and socialize in pubs and home.
2) character can have loved ones, sit by the fire dine together, sews clothing for you, enchants armor for you.
3) Hoter females, maids take care of home arrange armor, cook and comfort after battles, This is mature, let's have a mature mod for xbox
5) Ability to marry into royalty, become ruler in castle, control small batalians
6) More realistic city people, horses, hay fruit farmers markets in cities
7) Online Dialogue updates, your oblivion aquaintances in the game characters update dialogue as game progresses
The AI characters knock on your door to have wine, break bread, discuss important quests, give gifts arrange marriages, request you do quests. AI characters keep you company, wife keeps company too.
9) Ability to play midieval music in home, ability to do more at home, ability to mass market winery vintage and gain riches from Black horn castle.
10) Predict Events Spell, ability to become a wiseman that can see the future, master scouts abilities can go from point a to point b to find specific AI characters, master character can speak well as well and befriend the afluent and royalty.
I'm super proud of my character Merick and his Mericks Might enchanted clothing a human like nord that saves cirodil with novice magic and alot of ingenuity and girth. After the world is saved magic and myths become a greater part of the character who enjoys his home life and traveling the world in a relaxing manner, helping people out and becoming a master and altruist. My character looks bad ass, I spent alot of time on him he looks like a stronger less nordic americanized sean bean. I love it.
11) The ability to do a Flying jump and Strike, I LOVE FIRST PERSON OBLIVION, that is my favorite thing with a LCD HD tv, First person is like virtual reality, I DUMPED MY fable game completely because first person wasn't allowed, OBLIVION is my favorite alternative reality. My charachter can jump from roof to roof off the light house in Anvil and survive, cliff dives, castle wall climbs, 10 foot to foot jumps over and over and flying kicks into the castle walls to get inside and take down the villain.
12) #1 the ability not to lose content when not online, is extremely important
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:16 pm

What about a real-time, sneak-only targeting system for head-shots/limb shots with bows/throwing weapons?

I guess you people already went trhough this, but:

In Thief series backstabbing/knocking out was quite well made. You see your weapon moving into ready position, marking the next hit a critical strike. (see my sig, search for Critical Strike description)

Same in Alien vs. Predator: the headbite appeared in real time with good aiming. I'm not sure anymore if it worked in combat too, but at least when biting panicked civilians.

But I'm repeating myself, both examples I've brought up YEARS ago :)
Kim Bradley

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:37 am

I freakin love Oblivion, but there are a couple of things I kind of miss about Morrowind:

The ability to Barter. Haggling just doesn't seem the same for me. I really kind of miss being able to buy an item for 50% of its worth, and then turn around and sell it for 150%. I can understand why it was removed, however.

The Jump ability. I understand it was streamlined into acrobatics, but still, it was fun.

Levitate. Honestly. And i just wondered why I never used a levitate on target to lure baddies high up in the air, only to fall to their deaths.

The ability to wear robes over armour.

And most of all: The "next/previous weapon/spell" buttons. The hot keys are ok, but very, very limited. Or maybe a way to "group" your most often used spells into sets of hotkeys, like, I believe Neverwinter Nights did? ALT+1-9, SHIFT+1-9, and CTRL+1-9? That's probably the thing I most wish I had.

toryn
Alan Whiston

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm

One thing I'd like to add, is for pets. You could have a rat or a scrib in Morrowind and in Oblivion you can get a horse or a skinned hound. I want to be able to tell them to stay in a specific spot. I don't want my pets following me to their death when I go in a cave.
Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:44 pm

To add to the roleplay discussion.

- Next time I'd like to see more content to the roleplaying part. If I want to be a vampire hunter, then I should once in a while see a person getting chased by at the night. Or maybe hear someone screaming "Help!" and I got to where the screaming came from, and see a vampire drink aonther persons blood. Maybe we should even be awekened at night and a dialog pops up "You wake up as you hear someone approching your bed" and it is a vampire who is just about to bite you. And if you leave enough garlic at the door, you chances of getting visited by a vampire is decreased, based on how much garlic you have.

For mages, there could be several alchemical recipes that can be bought, or maybe we can even write our own recipes. I also want to see several abandoned towers, where a mage can live.

There are so many other things that can help spike up the roleplaying by adding alot of content

Dylan Markese

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:58 am

And most of all: The "next/previous weapon/spell" buttons. The hot keys are ok, but very, very limited. Or maybe a way to "group" your most often used spells into sets of hotkeys, like, I believe Neverwinter Nights did? ALT+1-9, SHIFT+1-9, and CTRL+1-9? That's probably the thing I most wish I had.

toryn

Remember that there are console players. That wouldn't work too well with consoles.
Wayland Neace

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:44 am

Remember that there are console players. That wouldn't work too well with consoles.

That was a suggestion for pc players. I'm sure he doesn't care what controls we use as long as it isn't complicated.
Cash n Class

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:56 pm

That was a suggestion for pc players. I'm sure he doesn't care what controls we use as long as it isn't complicated.

That is where the problem is. Is there a way to do what he suggests and have it work with console controllers?
Destinyscharm

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:48 am

Thus the "next/previous weapon/spell buttons"
:)
I played Morrowind for Xbox, I know how it goes. Besides, do you console players even have any sort of quick keys available? But how about like press UP on the D-pad for an alternate mapping of the controller buttons? I don't know what the D-pad does in Oblivion for consoles, but that seems kind of reasonable.
John N

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 pm

That is where the problem is. Is there a way to do what he suggests and have it work with console controllers?

No. That's why it's a pc only suggestion. Hotkeys work just fine for console players.

Edit: Yeah, that's exactly what the dpad does for us in oblivion. It allows us to press any direction to quickly switch to whatever is hotkeyed there. Like I have a dagger out and I press up. POOF, I now have a claymore. Then I press down, POOF, I have my bow. But now I want a different spell besides my healing spell. I press left and BAM, fireball.
Stephani Silva

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 pm

After having played Dragon Age the past few days, one thing I'd really like lifted from there, is the idea of sustained spells. The way it basically works is, instead of buff spells having a timer on them, buff spells simply last as long as you choose to sustain them. When you sustain the spell, the cost of the spell is simply removed from your maximum magicka pool, and if you release the spell, you are instantly refunded the cost.

As an example, let's say your character has a magicka pool of 100. You cast a shield spell with a cost of 15; as long as you maintain the spell, your magicka pool will functionally be 85, with that being the max that potions and regeneration can restore you to. When you release the spell, you instantly get back the 15 magicka.

A lot better than having to constantly recast buffs over and over, in my opinion.
Manny(BAKE)

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:58 pm

I think Beast Taming so they could become pets would be fun... not just "Command Creature"

Also, adding actual collision boxes in the limbs of trees so we can jump into trees and ambush under leaf cover, maybe even tree climbing...?

I don't feel very "at one with nature" using "Command Creature" and jumping around with a bow when I'm a Wood Elf.

Having the ability to "Free Run" would really add depth into the game for theif/acrobat characters. Maybe even some mages and warriors too. :]

Essentially "parkour".
Catherine N

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:47 am

I think Beast Taming so they could become pets would be fun... not just "Command Creature"

Also, adding actual collision boxes in the limbs of trees so we can jump into trees and ambush under leaf cover, maybe even tree climbing...?

I don't feel very "at one with nature" using "Command Creature" and jumping around with a bow when I'm a Wood Elf.

Having the ability to "Free Run" would really add depth into the game for theif/acrobat characters. Maybe even some mages and warriors too. :]

Essentially "parkour".

I was just thinking the same thing, about the free running, AC style. It would make the 3rd person view totally worthwhile and like you said, give thieves/acrobats some awesome abilities.
carley moss

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:42 am

No. That's why it's a pc only suggestion. Hotkeys work just fine for console players.

Edit: Yeah, that's exactly what the dpad does for us in oblivion. It allows us to press any direction to quickly switch to whatever is hotkeyed there. Like I have a dagger out and I press up. POOF, I now have a claymore. Then I press down, POOF, I have my bow. But now I want a different spell besides my healing spell. I press left and BAM, fireball.

So, why doesn't the hotkey work just fine for PC players?
Matthew Warren

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:01 am

So, why doesn't the hotkey work just fine for PC players?

Seti, you can't make Bethesda not put something on the PC version just because they can't on the console versions.
Eilidh Brian

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion