TES Vs. Wow

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:12 pm

It sounds like something somebody on acid would say.

Now I know you're just being facetious. Everyone knows acid makes the best stories and the best music and the best art.

Yes, I am waiting for the topic to close.
Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:12 am

If you'd been listening to anything I've said then you'd see it really isn't that way, but whatever, your opinion and your loss. The Elder Scrolls can easily be trivialized in the same manner.
'Sides, Arthas never died, he just got corrupted by the Rune Blade then absorbed one of the most powerful beings on Azeroth.

The REAL problem I have with it, is this:

Every installment to the story has been an excuse to make a new game. EG-- all the conflicts are artificial, and "epic"-- a real world does not have EVERY conflict be an epic one.

This is one of the beauties of the TES games-- Benign, benal things which contribute to the main quest, but are themselves not epic in nature. The mythic becomes tarnished when it is employed like a sledge hammer with wreckless abandon.

EG--

"Ok, we closed the portal in Dark Portal--- What can we have happen for the next game?"

It's the same kind of problem found in TV serials.

Example: Stargate SG1:

"oh! We took out the Gou'uld, and they were our super villains! What now? LETS MAKE A NEW VILLAIN out of the blue, that is even MORE diabolical--- How about, some kind of EVIL ancients! Yeah! Lets call them the Orai!"

See the problem?

Compare:

Halo stories. 3 games, but many more novels. The novels are not mentioned directly in the gameplay, but there are tie-in elements for people who have read and played both.

To my knowledge, Warcraft didnt have them, at least not right away.

Halo had novels out as soon as the first game released. ;)
laila hassan

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:51 am

Depends on whether you consider it to be the same reiteration over and over. I dont, especially since the Portal has only opened twice, and that's probably it. It may be created again, as a way for the Burning Legion to reach Azeroth, although Sargeras would have to find another way to open it. I find Warcraft to be diverse in story, such as the Night Elf arc, the Undead arc, etc and how they interact. Warcraft's strong story point has always been its characters and their interactions.
jessica breen

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:39 am

lol i didnt know a topic could go this far

Face it

TES spent something called TIME on their lore that Blizzard obviously failed to do in Warcraft.. or in any other game of theirs
ladyflames

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 am

lol i didnt know a topic could go this far

Face it

TES spent something called TIME on their lore that Blizzard obviously failed to do in Warcraft.. or in any other game of theirs

And you spent no time reading this topic nor the real lore and story that I and others have shown Warcraft clearly has.
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Depends on whether you consider it to be the same reiteration over and over. I dont, especially since the Portal has only opened twice, and that's probably it. It may open again, as a way for the Burning Legion to reach Azeroth. I find Warcraft to be diverse in story, such as the Night Elf arc, the Undead arc, etc and how they interact. Warcraft's strong story point has always been its characters and their interactions.

Orcs VS Humans: (AKA, Warcraft I)

Orcs show up, start causing trouble, humans react to drive them out.

Warcraft II + II(A), Dark Portal

Orcs show up again, Humans flip out, pledge to drive the hoarde away for good.

Warcraft III, Burning Legion is pissed that the orcs failed TWICE to kick human butt-- and step things up. Use the undead to reopen the portal, corrupt the prince, (blah blah blah)

Suspcision makes Orcs fight Humans again....

See a recurring theme here?

It's kinda like Dragon BallZ--- with new bad guy dejour every season, and every time it is "The end of the world."

Compared to it's predecessor, DragonBall, in which this was not the case. ;)

Warcraft's REAL story, is so overtold and formula based that I can predict the NEXT installment!

Warcraft IV:

Humans, Orcs, Elves team up against burning legion. Burning legion corrupts several key players in these protagonist factions, causing internal strife, Medivh shows up for another cameo, and the Titans get involved.
carrie roche

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:35 am

And you spent no time reading this topic nor the real lore and story that I and others have shown Warcraft clearly has.

I read one of the books for Warcraft and Ive played both Warcraft 2 and 3

The books were

a ) Not very well written

b ) Quite linear to me

c ) Kind of cliched
Chris Guerin

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:02 am

Orcs VS Humans: (AKA, Warcraft I)

Orcs show up, start causing trouble, humans react to drive them out.

Warcraft II + II(A), Dark Portal

Orcs show up again, Humans flip out, pledge to drive the hoarde away for good.

Warcraft III, Burning Legion is pissed that the orcs failed TWICE to kick human butt-- and step things up. Use the undead to reopen the portal, corrupt the prince, (blah blah blah)

Suspcision makes Orcs fight Humans again....
See a recurring theme here?

It's kinda like Dragon BallZ--- with new bad guy dejour every season, and every time it is "The end of the world."

Compared to it's predecessor, DragonBall, in which this was not the case. ;)

You dont seem to be paying attention to any of the underlying plot.
The undead hate the Legion, they rebel, kill all their ruling Narthrazim, the Orcs breaking of their Blood Rage with the demons, the Elves saving of the world tree from Archimonde (and also, the destruction of Archimonde) and Illidan's "corruption", the Forsaken's break from the Lich King and independence. They all tie in with the main plot and with each others while having interesting characters to instigate the changes. You can't look at the surface and find what the story is about, because if we did that then Morrowind would be Jesus versus Satan.

Warcraft IV:

Humans, Orcs, Elves team up against burning legion. Burning legion corrupts several key players in these protagonist factions, causing internal strife, Medivh shows up for another cameo, and the Titans get involved.

Burning Legion is barely a problem right now. I'd say the Lich King definitely is, and Illidan is going to be a major player in helping take him out (if he gets taken out at all). Thrall and the Humans will try and form and alliance to combat the Burning Legion, that or the undead. The Elves (if, as in WoW, Furion is stuck in the Emerald Dream) will be on a mission to save Furion.
But there's so many character interactions I'm not quite sure any of that will happen.
stevie critchley

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm

You dont seem to be paying attention to any of the underlying plot.
The undead hate the Legion, they rebel, kill all their ruling Narthrazim, the Orcs breaking of their Blood Rage with the demons, the Elves saving of the world tree from Archimonde (and also, the destruction of Archimonde) and Illidan's "corruption", the Forsaken's break from the Lich King and independence. They all tie in with the main plot and with each others while having interesting characters to instigate the changes. You can't look at the surface and find what the story is about, because if we did that then Morrowind would be Jesus versus Satan.

See the edit:

Warcraft's REAL story, is so overtold and formula based that I can predict the NEXT installment!

Warcraft IV:

Note, I listed ORCS in there. ;P

This is a VERY old story, with new actors. It has also been told better in the past.

I'd bet money that several of my predictions come true.

Edit

Burning Legion is barely a problem right now. I'd say the Lich King definitely is, and Illidan is going to be a major player in helping take him out (if he gets taken out at all). Thrall and the Humans will try and form and alliance to combat the Burning Legion, that or the undead. The Elves (if, as in WoW, Furion is stuck in the Emerald Dream) will be on a mission to save Furion.
But there's so many character interactions I'm not quite sure any of that will happen.

Of COURSE they will team up against the Burning legion-- Only ONE of the legion was destroyed (As in, big bad guys)-- there are several left, otherwise they wouldnt be a LEGION. ;) The newly emancipated underlings (Orcs, and Undead) will likely not find good shelter within the harbors of human or elven compassion, especially considering how the sunwell got all dirtied up like that in order to summon the legion. ;)

This distrust will be used as a wedge to divide and attack the protagonist forces, and they will predictably take the bait, but then wise up, but not learn their lesson in the long run, because they will fall for it again and again.
Everardo Montano

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:21 am

The games aren't really the lore. The lore is http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter1.html;jsessionid=20A832DEBA4799547D9E305C6A3C35D2.app07_08. Which feels like reading a very, very long theatre prologue.

About which, Chris Metzen has this to say: We're taking the process of building a world seriously and it wasn't just churned out. It had a strong sense of continuity. We've always tried to do that with our ancillary products like the D&D line and our novels. We are kind of painstakingly anol, about making sure all the details add up, that continuity is held to be sacred. So that no matter in what medium you are experiencing warcraft it all feels like a contiguous experience."

I'd probably say he doesn't leave enough gaps, making most for far too much exposition. But I've also pointed out a few times Warcraft doesn't take itself seriously. The aesthetic is that of a cartoon. Colourful, punchy, actiony appeal. Deriding it for being simplistic is like criticisng Donald Duck for not being one-dimensional. Of course, this hasn't stopped me from making jokes about it.
Dezzeh

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:49 am

I'd probably say he doesn't leave enough gaps, making most for far too much exposition. But I've also pointed out a few times Warcraft doesn't take itself seriously. The aesthetic is that of a cartoon. Colourful, punchy, actiony appeal. Deriding it for being simplistic is like criticisng Donald Duck for not being one-dimensional. Of course, this hasn't stopped me from making jokes about it.

I always found Warcraft (even it's graphics) to be overly awesome, not really cartoony. That's like calling Wind Waker cartoony. T'is called style.
'Sides http://mashedpatatas.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/pitlordfigure.jpg looks very, very mean.

Although I must admit Warcraft can be less than serious at times, it's story is completely serious. It's humor is just part of the game, though, and one reason why I love it so much.

*reads chapter 1*

Ok--- So, where DID the titans come from? In Greek mythology, the Titans are the solidifications and personifications of primal forces. They were born before the world as we know it even existed, and were born from reality itself.

It looks here like they just up and say "Then suddenly there were titans FTW!" in the linked lore. yuck.gif

It said it doesn't know. Makes sense, it's not like the book writers were around to see the beginning of the universe. Everything in the first paragraph of that chapter is speculation from the people of Azeroth. Seems fine to me.
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:15 am

The games aren't really the lore. The lore is http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter1.html;jsessionid=20A832DEBA4799547D9E305C6A3C35D2.app07_08.

About which, Chris Metzen has this to say: We're taking the process of building a world seriously and it wasn't just churned out. It had a strong sense of continuity. We've always tried to do that with our ancillary products like the D&D line and our novels. We are kind of painstakingly anol, about making sure all the details add up, that continuity is held to be sacred. So that no matter in what medium you are experiencing warcraft it all feels like a contiguous experience."

*reads chapter 1*

Ok--- So, where DID the titans come from? In Greek mythology, the Titans are the solidifications and personifications of primal forces. They were born before the world as we know it even existed, and were born from reality itself. (They were also rather chaotic beings.)

It looks here like they just up and say "Then suddenly there were titans FTW!" in the linked lore. :yuck:
Darlene Delk

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:28 pm

I always found Warcraft (even it's graphics) to be overly awesome, not really cartoony. That's like calling Wind Waker cartoony. T'is called style.
'Sides http://mashedpatatas.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/pitlordfigure.jpg looks very, very mean.

Although I must admit Warcraft can be less than serious at times, it's story is completely serious. It's humor is just part of the game, though, and one reason why I love it so much.
It said it doesn't know. Makes sense, it's not like the book writers were around to see the beginning of the universe. Everything in the first paragraph of that chapter is speculation from the people of Azeroth. Seems fine to me.

When we have magical, and potentially immortal beings floating around, I find it unlikely that nobody has even the slightest inkling. In such cases, humans are prone to confabulation. It is why we have so many creation stories in the real world.

Why is there only this weak story, and no confabulations? I just need to point to the monomyth to point out how TES picked up this mantle quite nicely. It is part of what makes it believable.
Kortknee Bell

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm

As I stated a billion times: Warcraft's main story (As in, the story at hand) is its most powerful element of the world. The real fun is in the interaction of the characters.

That and I don't need every detail spelled out to me to make a believable world, especially when it's a strategy game where the interaction is detached from how it would be if you were just some adventurer.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:31 am

I didn't know what Wind Waker was but the internet is showing me pictures of a little elf in a robin hood cap gliding on a leaf. Yes it's cartoony. Maybe not in the Disney sense, but certainly in the Conan the Adventurer cartoon sense. Straightforward, bold, colourful, but not deep. But Conan the Adventurer was a lot more awesome and never bothered with 3,000 word prologues, which is what the WoW lore looks like to me (and yes, I am one of the few people who bothered to have a look at it).
Sanctum

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 am

I didn't know what Wind Waker was but the internet is showing me pictures of a little elf in a robin hood cap gliding on a leaf.

Legend of Zelda. :P

Continue on.
Farrah Barry

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:24 am

As I stated a billion times: Warcraft's main story (As in, the story at hand) is its most powerful element of the world. The real fun is in the interaction of the characters.

That and I don't need everything handed to me to make a believable world, especially when it's a strategy game where the interaction is detached from how it would be if you were just some adventurer.

And what I have been hammering, is that for the story to suspend disbelief, it has to be believable.

There are too many problems with how the story is constructed for it to be believable, at least by me.

The problem I have with it, is that it DOES put everything on a patter for me. It doesn't let me search for alternative offerings. TES *DOES*.

Warcraft's universe is hammered out of absolutes from the get go. that is why it stinks of contrivance from the beginning. It further stinks of contrivance at every turn, by being overly "Convenient."
Rudi Carter

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:23 am

I didn't know what Wind Waker was but the internet is showing me pictures of a little elf in a robin hood cap gliding on a leaf. Yes it's cartoony. Maybe not in the Disney sense, but certainly in the Conan the Adventurer cartoon sense. Straightforward, bold, colourful, but not deep. But Conan the Adventurer was a lot more awesome and never bothered with 3,000 word prologues, which is what the WoW lore looks like to me (and yes, I am one of the few people who bothered to have a look at it).

Wind Waker was a Legend of Zelda game for the gamecube, FYI.
Never claimed Warcraft was deep, but a story doesn't need to be deep to be good (which Warcraft's very much is). Warcraft (as I said) has never felt cartoony to me, maybe silly a bit at times (or in details such as Illidan's blades) but I have never once felt it didn't take itself seriously.
And yes, I have read that entire link one day before. It took me five hours, and then I may have skipped some chapters...
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:41 am

Continue on.

Continue on in illegality.

The mods needs to close this so I can get some work done.
Cat Haines

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:46 am

Continue on in illegality.

The mods needs to close this so I can get some work done.

Yes.

But, discourse like this keeps me from posting with vitriol, and that's a good thing.

Anyway, I'll be keeping this for posterity.

Respekt to all.
Brandi Norton

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:29 am

The problem I have with it, is that it DOES put everything on a patter for me. It doesn't let me search for alternative offerings. TES *DOES*.

Then again, Warcraft is a top-down strategy game where war is the main objective of the game, not a first person RPG were every world detail is shown.
Sxc-Mary

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:17 pm

Post limit plus. :stare:
Charlie Ramsden

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion