The voice actor for General Tullius was a bad idea Bethesda.

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 pm

I liked farengar he sounded dutch to me. Or like the dude from the old Grolsch advert.

Also I once saw Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in a production of Waiting for Godot and did not think they were Magneto and Xavier. Nor did I ask how Pickard got to meet Gandalf. It was an excellent performance and my sense of illusion was never lost.

Also I have played Vegas and didn't notice that it was the same actor.
Amanda savory

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 am

How bout 3 dog with nazir
Roy Harris

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 2:14 pm

OP I must disagree with you. And beat you with a Fishy Stick.

Any time I get to hear or see my people from BSG is a good time. Now we just need DLC with Katee Sackhoff... :-)
Jay Baby

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't really give a rat's ass about who does the voice acting in a game nor have I ever been plucked from my immersion when learning the voice I just heard was used in another game I played.

But that's just me I guess.

Nor have I played NV and count myself lucky even though I have played everything since Arena I do draw the line somewhere.
Sian Ennis

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm

I think he did a good job with Tullius.
If any voicing is bad, it's Farengar and the guardsmen.
Yeah, I didn't mind Tullius either. Haven't played any Fallout game, sticking to the Elder Scrolls.

I partly agree about Farengar. I hesitate to criticise people without reason, but I always thought there was something mechanical about his voice. Or his accent. I just thought it sounded a bit forced at points. Still, hardly ever talk to him so no big deal. Most Skyrim voice-actors are great. Really glad they expanded to about 70 people, in comparison to Oblivion's 10-11.
kiss my weasel

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm

What's wrong with Farengar's voice? I like it.

I also like it ^^

I do not think General Tullius sounds bad, I think his accent fits his character.
Gen Daley

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Doc Mitcelle wasnt a major character, really.

Yeah, I haven't played Fallout so I wasn't trying to say he was, I don't know. Just saying in principle, like Carth/Kaidan.

Speaking of BioWare, I didn't like how every other old man in Skyrim had the voice of Patriarch. Colonel Campbell as Galmar was nice though, almost didn't catch it.
Greg Swan

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm

This thread has taught me that the general discussion forum is evil...

LOL :)
Jeff Turner

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 6:32 pm

What's wrong with Farengar's voice? I like it.

His dialog often implies excitement, the way it's read often implies he's distracted, stoned, or getting ready for his afternoon nap.

EDIT: Woah sorry, hella necro. Didn't mean to and now I'm curious how the HELL I got in this thread... :D
Cedric Pearson

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Michael Hogan was previously employed by Bethesda Softworks in a previous video game, and thus his appearance in Skyrim was a jarring disconnect for players who have experienced both Bethesda games, who were forcibly reminded of his previous role.

Please try and avoid speaking for everyone else. I've played both games and it did no such thing.
I love YOu

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 am

At the first word I was placed on the edge of a bed in a Doctor's office. Even now, that is all I can think about. Plus he makes a poor attempt a trilling his "R"s. when hes says, "Thrrrrone" and "you starrrted this war!"

I guess that, even though he is Imperial, he slips into a Nord dialect because of just being in the region. That happens.
Elle H

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Hogan is an excellent voice actor. I wouldn't mind seeing him in every Beth game from here on out. I even caught him in Mass Effect II, and it brought a smile to my face. I love hearing voice actors I recognize from TV shows and movies. The VA for Mr. House in New Vegas was Odo on Deep Space Nine (and he has done work in Boston Legal, Warehouse 13, Archer, and tons of other projects). Naturally, he was my favorite character in the game.

My problem with Tullius was that he didn't have much to say. I was expecting some great thought-provoking dialogue with the civil war, but it was all bland, middle of the road material. They must have expended all of their energy writing Paarthurnax.
Marion Geneste

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 7:42 pm

This is the first time I heard this voice actor so it was ok with me. I tried playing new vegas because I loved fallout 3, but toooo many bugs lol. I cleared a 4 story building of it's loot and enemies, came outside and it froze for the 8th time, never played it again.
lydia nekongo

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:21 am

Jarringly identical to his previous Bethesda acting role: Doc Mitchell in New Vegas. (Which broke immersion, forcibly reminding us to think of that character from another video game).

Not to mention his voice didn't really suit the role anyway. His frail, trusting, somewhat-goofy grandfather voice ... didn't actually believably convey the likes of a hardened war general struggling with a passionless goal and buried internal disillusionment.

I would go so far as to deem his performance verging on mechanical.

Anyway, this is pretty much a nitpicking issue. Most of the voice acting and casting in Skyrim is brilliant. And the music is of course f@#king awesome. But this one casting was definitely a fail.
He plays Doc Mitchell? Really?

Weird, I had absolutely no idea, and now that you point it out, I can't even say that it's obvious.

Oh also, welcome to the world of actors. You're telling me that they shouldn't use an actor for more than one role? When you watched Inception, was the entire experience ruined because you just couldn't figure out how he got off that sinking boat and survived another 80 years without aging a day?

When you played the Oblivion opening, were you shouting furiously at your screen for Emporer Septim to watch out for the incoming Klingons?

No.

They are actors, they play several roles. They envelope that role, and we think of them as a character not an actor. Well, most people. And I think he fit the role perfectly. He is a much cleaner, more normal sounding person. He sounds thoughtful and educated, much to reflect the persona of the imperial empire. As opposed to Ulfric, whose epic and thick Czech accent gave the stormcloaks a gruff, down to earth feel.
Averielle Garcia

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 5:07 pm

This is the first time I heard this voice actor so it was ok with me. I tried playing new vegas because I loved fallout 3, but toooo many bugs lol. I cleared a 4 story building of it's loot and enemies, came outside and it froze for the 8th time, never played it again.

He was the Doctor from the intro. Gives you a rorschach test. You definitely heard him if you made it to a 4 story building. :biggrin:
Janette Segura

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm

He was the Doctor from the intro. Gives you a rorschach test. You definitely heard him if you made it to a 4 story building. :biggrin:
Oh I did hear him then! kind of bringing back the memory now ): lol, I'm gonna youtube it for some reason
Nienna garcia

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Reminding you. I never played the game.

This, I've never heard his voice before. Bethesda did the right thing, they judged the act on the merits, not based on whether he's been in past titles before. I think he did a great job, and seemed to fit perfectly with the weary general that's tired of a pointless war.
Lyndsey Bird

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 am

He also plays the guy that checks you into the citadel in Mass Effect 2
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 am

Oh also, welcome to the world of actors. You're telling me that they shouldn't use an actor for more than one role? When you watched Inception, was the entire experience ruined because you just couldn't figure out how he got off that sinking boat and survived another 80 years without aging a day?

Yes. Does anyone know how he escaped?
Cheville Thompson

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 am

Yes. Does anyone know how he escaped?
The current theory is that, in order to steal the dream in a dream in a dream (Bwaaaaaaa!) and save his dead wife (Or whatever), he worked apart an old camera, taking mainly the shutter, and swam to a nearby island, where he found some blood diamonds, which he used used them to pay off a passing merchant vessel, where onboard he killed himself for the love of his fair maiden, for never could they be wed, by the fued of their families, when he then arrived back in America. However, throughout the years, he always felt like an outsider.

Then a bunch of stuff related to movies he isn't well known for happened, and eventually he got into Inception. (Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!)
Miguel

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 1:49 pm

At the first word I was placed on the edge of a bed in a Doctor's office. Even now, that is all I can think about. Plus he makes a poor attempt a trilling his "R"s. when hes says, "Thrrrrone" and "you starrrted this war!"

I guess that, even though he is Imperial, he slips into a Nord dialect because of just being in the region. That happens.
That isn't trilling r's. It's Canadian vowels you're hearing. Blame Canada.
Brian Newman

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:16 pm

I liked farengar he sounded dutch to me. Or like the dude from the old Grolsch advert.

To me he sounded like someone trying to do an impression of a Native American, rather poorly at that.
Cody Banks

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 am

That isn't trilling r's. It's Canadian vowels you're hearing. Blame Canada.
:rofl:

To me he sounded like someone trying to do an impression of a Native American, rather poorly at that.
I thought that...almost sounded familiar.

It wasn't Sunny Smiles painful but it was still bad.
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 am

"Ulfric Stormcloak, some here in Helgen call you a 'HIRO', but a 'HIRO (....Hiroshima?)' Doesn't murder his king and usurp his threwoon!"

I despise his stupid accent.

Misty lt

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:58 am

He didn't remind me of the Doc at all and in fact I didn't realize it was the same voice acter until a few quests into the main questline.

In fact to me as soon as I heard the voice I thought he sounded a bit like R. Lee Ermey, the drill sergent from Full Metal Jacket lol. Like an affectionate parody or something.
Chloe Mayo

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim