The voice actor for General Tullius was a bad idea Bethesda.

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 4:23 pm

I think he did a good job with Tullius.
If any voicing is bad, it's Farengar and the guardsmen.
Agreed, it's like the guy who did Farengar was half asleep and completely uninterested... Probably also didn't look over the lines before hand aswell...
Tiffany Carter

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 am

What's wrong with Farengar's voice? I like it.
It's not his voice, it's how is (mis)uses it. ;)
Aman Bhattal

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, this is why people that saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when it came out all were disappointed. They were too reminded of Star Wars when they saw Harrison Ford and heard his voice. Millions of people couldn't understand why Han Solo was running around fighting nazis. The fans' confusion was so profound, both of the movie franchises failed. To this day, Harrison Ford is confused with a smuggler that has a big walking carpet as best friend and co-pilot, by rational intelligent and reasonable people, when he walks down the street

Actually, for those who don't particularly enjoy mass-produced Hollywood franchises the obvious similarities between two of Harrison Ford's characters was a tiresome cliche, yes.

So as much as you tried to belittle what I said with trite sarcasm, it backfired and you actually provided a rather valid point: Indiana Jones and Han Solo are boringly similar characters, both stemming from hilariously bad franchises.

Did you have a point to make, or shall I just offer to the dunce cap now...... ? *wink
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 pm

I have no problem with General Tullius voice...however I am a bit tired of hearing the same repeated voice from different NPC's.
Kayla Oatney

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 am

Reminding you. I never played the game.

This.
And actually I didn't think his voice was bad at all, it made sense for the Imperial leader to sound less offensive than Ulfric Stormcloak, and I think he does a good job of sounding like I'd expect an Imperial Officer to sound. ^_^
no_excuse

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 am

Jarringly identical to his previous Bethesda acting role: Doc Mitchell in New Vegas. (Which broke immersion, forcibly reminding us to think of that character from another video game).

Not to mention his voice didn't really suit the role anyway. His frail, trusting, somewhat-goofy grandfather voice ... didn't actually believably convey the likes of a hardened war general struggling with a passionless goal and buried internal disillusionment.

I would go so far as to deem his performance verging on mechanical.

Anyway, this is pretty much a nitpicking issue. Most of the voice acting and casting in Skyrim is brilliant. And the music is of course f@#king awesome. But this one casting was definitely a fail.

This knd of thing must make watching movies tricky for you.
Ownie Zuliana

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Actually, for those who don't particularly enjoy mass-produced Hollywood franchises the obvious similarities between two of Harrison Ford's characters was a tiresome cliche, yes.

So as much as you tried to belittle what I said with trite sarcasm, it backfired and you actually provided a rather valid point: Indiana Jones and Han Solo are boringly similar characters, both stemming from hilariously bad franchises.

Did you have a point to make, or shall I just offer to the dunce cap now...... ? *wink

lol. Questioning intelligence as a first resort. Love it.

Let me translate your post : So what you mean to say is- "jeez, I never realized that actors can play diffrerent roles in different genres and still be effective at them, but I don't want to admit I could ever be wrong, so I will make personal comments about another member who made a point about an even better known actor playing multiple roles in two well known franchises that catered to similar audiences, in an attempt to make myself look good"

Now, if you can't see the several parallels between the movie makers and the game makers, the actor in those movies and the voice actor in those two games, and the two film franchises and the two game franchises, well, I can forward to you the phone number for a company that sells white canes, sunglasses, and seeing-eye dogs. Just make sure you get a braille monitor so you can contact them ;)
Johnny

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Jarringly identical to his previous Bethesda acting role: Doc Mitchell in New Vegas. (Which broke immersion, forcibly reminding us to think of that character from another video game).

Not to mention his voice didn't really suit the role anyway. His frail, trusting, somewhat-goofy grandfather voice ... didn't actually believably convey the likes of a hardened war general struggling with a passionless goal and buried internal disillusionment.

I would go so far as to deem his performance verging on mechanical.

Anyway, this is pretty much a nitpicking issue. Most of the voice acting and casting in Skyrim is brilliant. And the music is of course f@#king awesome. But this one casting was definitely a fail.
I just wanted to keep asking him for supplies and if he could patch me up...
dell

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Now I'm not at all surprised that you can't handle a voice actor taking on two roles in their lifetime.
zoe

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm sure one of these posts pointed out that the actor for Tulius (and Doc Mitchell) was Michael Hogan, who played Colonel Tigh in the new Battlestar Galactica. He's a decent actor. I'm sure he was doing as the director suggested. I'd think the problem should be with the voice director, rather than the actor in this case.

There was also Joan Allen, a great actress (Delphine) and Max Von Sydow (Esbern) a brilliant actor. I think paying for these 3 is the reason why so many of the other characters had the same voice. They had to be expensive.
Riky Carrasco

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Yes, this is why people that saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when it came out all were disappointed. They were too reminded of Star Wars when they saw Harrison Ford and heard his voice. Millions of people couldn't understand why Han Solo was running around fighting nazis. The fans' confusion was so profound, both of the movie franchises failed. To this day, Harrison Ford is confused with a smuggler that has a big walking carpet as best friend and co-pilot, by rational intelligent and reasonable people, when he walks down the street
A very good point. There are actually two lines of thought that need to be considered.

Firstly, the argument against casting actors who have worked in previous games is illogical, for the reasons that Halthor has pointed out. If you were to follow the argument through to its conclusion, an actor would only ever be able to play one character in any kind of media (film, TV, radio, video game, etc) and never play a different role again. He could only ever be re-employed if he was called on to reprise that same role. It would make acting a very poor choice of career, wouldn't it? Fortunately though, the world is not insane and accepts the fact that actors will reappear playing different roles.

Secondly, with mediums that require voice work only (ie, the person is not seen), an actor has the advantage of providing a different voice to hide the fact that he is doubling roles. Unfortunately however, lots of actors cannot do this successfully and can only do one default voice (ie, their own) and this can be jarring to the listener.

So to sum up my view - it is fine if the actor can alter his voice when playing multiple characters within the same game, but this does not happen enough in Skyrim, or the other Bethesda games, for that matter. How many times have you come across a character with Ralof's voice, for example? The big name actors who are recognised by the public, such as Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow, Joan Allen and Michael Hogan etc, should (and do) only play one character, but the supporting players who double, triple and even quadruple their roles really should use different voices.

Stannie
Loane

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Reminding me, and millions of others.

Indeed, the majority of players. I'm very happy for you that you haven't played New Vegas, but you are a curious exception to the rule. Most people who have played Skyrim have played the prior games of Bethesda Softworks.
Sorry, but no. I've only played Morrowind and Oblivion. Don't go speaking in my name, kthanks.

Please avoid offering an incoherent straw man caricature of my argument than claim "by your logic". Let's hope your amusing misrepresentation was accidental. To clear your confusion, this is what my point actually was:

Michael Hogan was previously employed by Bethesda Softworks in a previous video game, and thus his appearance in Skyrim was a jarring disconnect for players who have experienced both Bethesda games, who were forcibly reminded of his previous role.

As for more suitable actors, well - even Max von Sydow would have been a more logical candidate. His voice resonates with the wisdom of an endured, battle-wizened man (naturally making him perfect for his actual role as Esbern too).
I don't get it. So many screen actors play so many different roles in so many different movies, and that is generally accepted. Even though they might look exactly the same (e.g. Tom Hanks). So why is it so difficult to get a bit used to a voice actor doing different voices in different games?
bonita mathews

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I've grown used to most Arnold Guardzenegger voices, but Farengar is just something that will haunt me for years to come.

This is why I chose to sacrifice him.
Kat Stewart

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Huh, you know while his voice sounded familiar, I didn't link it to Doc Mitchell. It was more "Why does he sound so familia- OMG it's Captain Bailey!"

Anyways, I find Mr. Hogan does the voice acting very well for Tullius. Fits the character fine.
Christine Pane

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 am

Until you mentioned it, I had no idea he was Doc Mitchell in New Vegas. Do you watch films wondering why an East-end gangster from London is now James Bond? Or Why Moses is also the Omega man?
SaVino GοΜ

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 am

i didn't really notice, then again i only talked to doc mitchell for the tutorial...then never agian, also tullius actual voice actor did a decent job anyways, don't know how he would have done it differently
Eoh

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Colonel Tigh General Tullius' role is a boring, straight up military tactitan, he is not a badass, he is a stratigizer, and he played that role in Battlestar Galactica Skyrim perfectly
Lily

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Looks like a troll thread to me.
Charlie Sarson

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't mind the voice being similar at all and I feel it fits the character, and I think most people don't really mind it either.

If I did actually get annoyed by this I wouldn't be able to stand any game or movie where an actor takes a different role.

Sure, some variation in how they do they voices is nice but I doubt in this case it would have added anything to tillius as a character,

Farengar on the other hand....
Ysabelle

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 pm

OK, well realistically, distinctive speech patterns are not in and of themselves bad, or less immersive than any other speech pattern. In real life, some people talk funny.

What I want to know is: do you folksh that complain about Farengar'sh voish alsho dishlike Shean Connery'sh shpeech? Distinctive speech pattern in a non-standard accent
Javaun Thompson

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:21 am

Farengar was really bad.
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 1:12 pm

I never played New Vegas and I had no problem with General Tullius' voice. Op, I think this just might be a personal pet peeve of yours rather than a defiency on the part of the actor. Oh, and for the record, I didn't mind Farengar other than the fact that he's a total asshat. Deliver your frost salts, huh? Bloody wizards!
Da Missz

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Do not insult Tullius he was the MOST BADASS Character in the entire game.
"We are going to put you down Ulfric"
CHARLODDE

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 pm

What part of the concept of "majority" eludes your mental abilities?
What majority? so far you're pretty much the only person in this thread complaining about Micheal Hogan's role, heck You're also the first and only person i have heard complaining about him playing the role at all. It's bothering you, ok fine, You're absolutely allowed to have that opinion, but you aren't a majority and that you are trying to present your opinion as reflecting the majority is what is denigrating your complaint here.
REVLUTIN

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 am

What majority? so far you're pretty much the only person in this thread complaining about Micheal Hogan's role, heck You're also the first and only person i have heard complaining about him playing the role at all. It's bothering you, ok fine, You're absolutely allowed to have that opinion, but you aren't a majority and that you are trying to present your opinion as reflecting the majority is what is denigrating your complaint here.
Susan

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim