The voice actor for General Tullius was a bad idea Bethesda.

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Jarringly identical to his previous Bethesda acting role: Doc Mitchell in New Vegas. (Which broke immersion, forcibly reminding us to think of that character from another video game).

Not to mention his voice didn't really suit the role anyway. His frail, trusting, somewhat-goofy grandfather voice ... didn't actually believably convey the likes of a hardened war general struggling with a passionless goal and buried internal disillusionment.

I would go so far as to deem his performance verging on mechanical.

Anyway, this is pretty much a nitpicking issue. Most of the voice acting and casting in Skyrim is brilliant. And the music is of course [censored] awesome. But this one casting was definitely a fail.

CCNA: Do Not Bypass the Autocensor.
YO MAma

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

He's Colonel TIgh, dammit! COLONEL TIGH!
Heather Dawson

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 7:24 pm

I thought they could have done a better job with his voice, but once I got used to it I was okay with it.

The only voice that was really destracting was the courtwizard@whiterun, I could have done a better job at voice acting.
Carlitos Avila

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 pm

reminding us to think of that character from another video game
Reminding you. I never played the game.
Lewis Morel

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am

I don't think most of their voice actor choices were bad exactly, so much as their direction possibly being lacking.
Connie Thomas

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 6:31 pm

He's Colonel TIgh, dammit! COLONEL TIGH!

That too.

I think because they were similar mediums (Both bethesda video games), but his voice just screamed "DOC MITCHELL" way more than Colonel TIgh for me.
Lewis Morel

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:59 am

That too.

I think because they were similar mediums (Both bethesda video games), but his voice just screamed "DOC MITCHELL" way more than Colonel TIgh for me.
Doc Mitchell appears in a different game made by different people, thus your argument is quite invalid. By your logic we could drag an endless list of fictional people to this debate.
Also, what kind of a voice would you have for a battle hardened general? From the officers and generals I've seen in my life, one of them having been in Afghanistan, officers tend to be pretty relaxed people. The more an officer has to shout, gloat and boast the worse he really is in actual wartime leadership.
Anthony Diaz

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm

I thought they could have done a better job with his voice, but once I got used to it I was okay with it.

The only voice that was really destracting was the courtwizard@whiterun, I could have done a better job at voice acting.
What is so "Bad" about Farengar? I've had no problem with his voice acting.
anna ley

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm

This is always the most rewarding part of being an actor: having a bunch of people who know jack-squat about the craft telling you how much you svck at it.

He was fine. If your brain can wrap around the idea that one actor may play more than one role in his lifetime, you'll find that his voice fits the character well.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Reminding you. I never played the game.

Reminding me, and millions of others.

Indeed, the majority of players. I'm very happy for you that you haven't played New Vegas, but you are a curious exception to the rule. Most people who have played Skyrim have played the prior games of Bethesda Softworks.
Steph

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:26 pm

I think he did a good job with Tullius.
If any voicing is bad, it's Farengar and the guardsmen.
An Lor

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:44 am

Indeed, the majority of players. I'm very happy for you that you haven't played New Vegas, but you are a curious exception to the rule. Most people who have played Skyrim have played the prior games of Bethesda Softworks.
Since when has Obsidian been "Bethesda Softworks"? Yes, New Vegas was published by Bethesda, but developed by a different team entirely.
Jake Easom

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 am

All Bethesda had to do with NV was publishing it iirc. If anything NV is an Obsidian game.

Anyway. I didn't notice that it was the same guy until you mentioned it, so yeah. Guess it doesn't "scream 'DOC MITCHELL!!" to everyone that's played both games.
Joanne

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 pm

I think he did a good job with Tullius.
If any voicing is bad, it's Farengar and the guardsmen.
I've grown used to most Arnold Guardzenegger voices, but Farengar is just something that will haunt me for years to come.
Sxc-Mary

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 am

I've grown used to most Arnold Guardzenegger voices, but Farengar is just something that will haunt me for years to come.
What's wrong with Farengar's voice? I like it.
phil walsh

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 am

Doc Mitchell appears in a different game made by different people, thus your argument is quite invalid. By your logic we could drag an endless list of fictional people to this debate.
Also, what kind of a voice would you have for a battle hardened general? From the officers and generals I've seen in my life, one of them having been in Afghanistan, officers tend to be pretty relaxed people. The more an officer has to shout, gloat and boast the worse he really is in actual wartime leadership.

Please avoid offering an incoherent straw man caricature of my argument than claim "by your logic". Let's hope your amusing misrepresentation was accidental. To clear your confusion, this is what my point actually was:

Michael Hogan was previously employed by Bethesda Softworks in a previous video game, and thus his appearance in Skyrim was a jarring disconnect for players who have experienced both Bethesda games, who were forcibly reminded of his previous role.

As for more suitable actors, well - even Max von Sydow would have been a more logical candidate. His voice resonates with the wisdom of an endured, battle-wizened man (naturally making him perfect for his actual role as Esbern too).
ruCkii

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Michael Hogan was previously employed by Bethesda Softworks in a previous video game, and thus his appearance in Skyrim was a jarring disconnect for players who have experienced both Bethesda games, who were forcibly reminded of his previous role.
What other Bethesda (As in, made by, not merely published by, Bethesda Game Studios or Bethesda Softworks) game did Michael Hogan voice?

Also, Michael Mack has been the voice of every male Redguard in Morrowind and Oblivion, and while also voicing a number of Redguards in Skyrim. He's also the voice of the protagonist of Redguard. And yet, nobody complains about that (Aside from the lack of variation in voice actors - but cutting Michael entirely is undesirable)

Also - Wes Johnson.
Lexy Dick

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Yes, this is why people that saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when it came out all were disappointed. They were too reminded of Star Wars when they saw Harrison Ford and heard his voice. Millions of people couldn't understand why Han Solo was running around fighting nazis. The fans' confusion was so profound, both of the movie franchises failed. To this day, Harrison Ford is confused with a smuggler that has a big walking carpet as best friend and co-pilot, by rational intelligent and reasonable people, when he walks down the street
Mike Plumley

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 am

When he asks if you want to dishcush the ongoing hoshtilities like the resht of the great warriorsh.

His voice sounds forced & awkward, So bad that i actually enjoy talking to him.
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 4:35 pm

He sounds like he reads up something he was just handed while eating gum and taking a major dump.
Georgine Lee

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 12:58 am

When he asks if you want to dishcush the ongoing hoshtilities like the resht of the great warriorsh.

His voice sounds forced & awkward, So bad that i actually enjoy talking to him.

Drunk.
FABIAN RUIZ

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Having played both, I honestly didn't even make the connection between the good doctor and General Tullius until now. Personally, the voice grew on me, after a bit of service to the empire. I'm probably biased from associating the voice with Coronel Ty, which are both military figures.

I'm perfectly content with his voice acting in Skyrim.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 am

I think skyrim has better voice actors then previous TES Games.
Marina Leigh

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Tullius is one of the few voices I found good. But I didn't play Fallout. I know I often dislike recognizing a voice as another's. Still hate Kaidan because he's Carth.
Devin Sluis

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 pm

I think he did a fine job!
Haley Merkley

Next

Return to V - Skyrim