Wanted:Writing tips

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:31 am

Hello all. Just to clarify, I am not the original owner of this account. I am just to lazy to make my own :P The original owner got into some trouble and is at boot camp (thank god I say). But I have been playing Morrowind and Oblivion recently, and feel like making a fanfiction about it. I have a plot already, but was wandering if the kind people of these forums could offer some advice before I begin the project.

Thank you all, and happy posting. :dance:
Cesar Gomez

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm

The "How to RP" guide up top also has some good tips for fanfictions, too. I reccomend you start there.

Good luck!
Rodney C

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Flesh out everything you write with detail, detail, and more detail. Don't tell us what is going on, show us.
lilmissparty

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 pm

And while your showing us, tell us what your character thinks and feels. :)
Mark

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:55 pm

And don't forgeth that there's a good chance what you will actually wind up having written and what you're planning to write may be so different as to boggle the mind. That's my favorite part, but it can deter some new writers. Which is always a pity, we need more.
Charity Hughes

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Avoid the 'big' words like sorrow or anger, instead of saying 'Charlie was angry with me' say 'Charlie became red in the face and started to shout and wave his fists at me' etc instead.

Decide before you start what 'voice' you are going to use, and what tense you are going to write in. Is it going to be a journal, written from the characters point of view in the past tense? Or will it be a third person present tense narrative restricted to your characters own thoughts and perspective? Or an omniscient Narrator telling a story? Whatever you decide stick to it, there is nothing worse than getting into a story and it suddenly switches tense, or even worse it changes tense randomly every few sentences.

Don't forget the little things, small details, personal quirks (maybe your character is alergic to cheese) anything that makes your characters unique will help. Also don't stick too rigidly to the game's plot, if it is a 'my character in Morrowind/Oblivion' story, think up creative ways to describe game mechanics.
loste juliana

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Alright then. Thanks guys =D I will get to work on the fanfic tommorow
FABIAN RUIZ

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Alright then. Thanks guys =D I will get to work on the fanfic tommorow

Lol shoosh Jonathan! I will speak for myself!
Luna Lovegood

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 am

If the story is TES based, don't use non-TES names like Jack or Mike. I hate that.

If you are completely green in writing, ignore what people tell you about finesse and just write what comes to mind. You'll develop the finesse later. Just don't think you'll get praised immediately. But don't let the comments offend you to the point you would stop writing. If you like doing it, keep doing it, no matter what people say.
Manny(BAKE)

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:54 am

But don't let the comments offend you to the point you would stop writing. If you like doing it, keep doing it, no matter what people say.

Indeed.

My advice would be listen to what other people think/suggest. You don't have to agree, but at least consider what they are saying. I'm relatively new to the FanFic forum, and I've seen far to many people post a story, and then insult/get angry at the first person to offer them constructive criticism - don't do this.

1. It's not fair on the person who took the time to read what you wrote and think carefully about how you could improve it.
2. It makes you look like an ungrateful prat.

Other than that, enjoy what you write ^_^
kiss my weasel

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks all :) Ill get started on it soon. One more question... is there a thing like Microsoft Word on these dumb macs! I dont want to go posting in little increments.
Louise

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Avoid the 'big' words like sorrow or anger, instead of saying 'Charlie was angry with me' say 'Charlie became red in the face and started to shout and wave his fists at me' etc instead.

.....What? Sorrow and anger aren't even big words...
Dragonz Dancer

Post » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:48 pm

.....What? Sorrow and anger aren't even big words...

I think what is meant by "big" is more like 'sweeping," or "cover-all." Look at the example given, either the one word or the full description. And in my opinion, Full description >>>>>>> one word.
Eduardo Rosas

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion