was your Legendary Edition what you expected?

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 pm

I just received my copy of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition that I order on June 4, the release date for the USA.

I am incredibly disappointed and thinking I should return the product to Amazon.com and try to get my money back.

Having purchased the Game of the Year Edition of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I was expecting a substantial to sturdy case similar to that one.

What I received was a flimsy - not even a standard - a flimsy black DVD case with a single disc that I expect is going to trigger a download from Steam.

I could hav paid $45.00 for a download from Steam if that was what I wanted. Instead I paid $60 so that I would receive a memorable container of game discs and extras. This is NOT what I received.

I am incredibly disappointed.

What about you?

Matt Bee

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm

It's brilliant. Everything I expected and more.
Hearts

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

Nope. I got exactly what I expected to get. Exactly what Bethesda said we would get.

I also got it retail because it worked out $10 cheaper than Steam.

kasia

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:30 pm

The disc has all the game data save for the exe. even though it still has to play hookie with steam, it will install far faster then downloading.

Heather Kush

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:11 pm

There's no mention of extras or multiple discs in any of the ads for S:LE, so you received what you ordered. :shrug:

Makenna Nomad

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm loving it at the moment, I'm currently level 28 and playing through the Dawnguard DLC on the side of the vampires. I keep on trying to force myself to do the questline in small chunks whilst doing other things but I've already done those quests or visited those locations in previous playthroughs, but I have never played Dawnguard.

From what I've seen I'm not even half way through the questline yet and with my occasionial detours I don't think I'll finish this DLC for awhile. What I like most about the DLC is that its helped me break my habit of playing Skyrim methodically. I just used to do quests Hold by Hold, one at a time before moving to the next one. Now thats completely thrown out of the window, I've been toe every hold except The Reach for some odd reason.
Jason Rice

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Just return it and buy it from a different retailer if you don't like the box.

Jade MacSpade

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 pm

That's pretty funny. Are you telling me that you have seen the same edition of major games like this one released in different packages depending on the retailer?

Lizs

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 pm

From your description I was just assuming that it had something to do with amazon giving you a defective case.

Umpyre Records

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:16 am

Well, by the sounds of things you only received the DVD case. There's also supposed to be a cardboard sleeve.

But nothing extra was advertised. It's the standard game with all DLC included on the disk. You'll only need an internet connection once, to verify your game with Steam or something along those lines. You got what you paid for.

Janine Rose

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:42 am

Your amusemant for everything sickens me. Bah!

:stare:

Chase McAbee

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 pm

What makes this sort of remark amusing is that you don't know if I got what I paid for or not. For that matter, you don't know if YOU got what you paid for or not. Not only was nothing "Extra" advertised, when it comes to the packaging nothing "AT ALL" was advertised. The only way anyone could have any expectation was previous experience. My previous experience was stated: "Having purchased the Game of the Year Edition of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I was expecting a substantial to sturdy case similar to that one." Also, my experience when purchasing Special Editions of the Mass Effect series games added to my Oblivion experience to cause me to hope for and expect a package similar to the Game of the Year Edition package that Oblivion was supplied in. After all, this Legendary Edition IS the Game of the Year Edition. Unfortionately, there is nothing Legendary about the Edition, only about the game itself. The game is being sold for $45 as a digital download and for $60 as a packaged physical medium. this package plus medium is worth about a dollar, not $15.00, hence my disappointment.

For those of you telling me how wonderful the game is, I have no doubt about it, that's why I have waited expectantly for the special edition to be released. I am disappointed in the package, as I said. Not the game. I received the flimsy DVD case inside the cardboard sleeve. It is hardly a legendary combination. But thanks for your feedback. If you were not expecting anything more from Bethesda as a result of their calling it a Legendary Edition of the game, then you probably can't relate to what I am saying.

josie treuberg

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:28 am

Really?? Regular version of Skyrim DVD has the exe too - it's playable without Steam. I got really irritated and not very nice when I couldn't get Steam to install directly from disc (while downloading was unfeasible because of our internet connection), but I eventually managed to make that happen on something like the umpteenth million try.

EDIT: poor choice of words. It's possible to install without using a direct download from Steam.

Katey Meyer

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:23 am

I haven't purchased this yet but I can relate to your disappointment op, being a retail collector myself it happened to me to be let down by a choice of packaging of various game editions. From a big title like Skyrim, with all its praise, awards and commercial success, I would have expected a more elaborated goty edition, for vanity. Some publishers like to do that and collectors love them. For a few extra bucks (which is not big deal since this is an edition where you buy the vanilla game again, people who only needed the expansions could purchase them separately) they could have included a special map or poster or pocket guide to empire or at least a sturdy box with unfolding cover, anything to make it legendary. Looks like they ended the Skyrim retail production the same way they ended the game expansions: abruptly and uninspiring.

Anyway you should do like I do and check the retail packages on Youtube, just type "game title unboxing". That's the best way to check what you're getting in the box before you buy. A lot of people like to record themselves opening game boxes.
courtnay

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 am

I'll just wait for this to hit the bargain bin, I won't pay full price for the game once again after buying the Premium edition. I agree that this edition should have had something extra, something collectible.

celebrity

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks Rango, for getting my point and for the good youtube advice. There is at least a map poster inside the game package.

hannah sillery

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:02 am

No, we probably can't relate to you because Bethesda did advertise and release the specifics of what the Legendary Edition (despite you saying otherwise) entailed. Its not really Bethesda's fault that you let previous experiences paint your expectation when they made information available the day they announced it.

LijLuva

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 pm

As DeanG said, Bethesda released plenty of information before releasing the Legendary Edition. The official image shows only the standard case, not the cardboard sleeve, and only mentions including the base game, DLC and map. Never did they mention a fancier box or whatever. If you feel disappointed for some reason, that's fine - but it's not Bethesda's fault in any way.

As for the price, that's again not Bethesda's fault. Each retailer sets their own prices. If Steam is selling the Legendary Edition at a lower price, that's their choice as well. You still got a good deal, considering you received the game and all DLC for the price of the original game alone. And if you're really not happy, then get a refund.
vanuza

Post » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:40 am

This is the most ridiculous OP I have ever seen. We knew from day one that no extra special bits and bobs were going to come with the LE, that was what the Collector's Edition was for. It sounds as if thats what you should have bought that instead. I don't see why the Legendary Edition should have what other games' GOTY edition may do.
Kathryn Medows

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:17 pm

The OP has a point though in a way.

Although Bethesda made clear in advance what they were going to attempt con people with, it still does not justify what Beth actually did in charging a ridiculous price for something most people (unless never played before obviously) already had, even the map from the vanilla game is better.

I think that is a clear indication of just how little regard Bethesda actually have for their customers and how little they deserve our support.

Are we really surprised?

Darren

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:26 pm

The Legendary Edition isn't aimed at people who already have all the content.

It's aimed at people who don't have all the content, want it all on the disk or need a cheap (Yes, its cheaper than buying everything separate) alternative to pick up a second copy for another platform.

N Only WhiTe girl

Return to V - Skyrim