Will i like morrowind even though i played oblivion first?

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 am

I'm on the fence about getting this i played Halo 3 and then decided to start from the beginning and play Halo C.E but i didn't really like it. Also does the game have any issues playing on vista?
Kayleigh Mcneil

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:01 am

Well it really depends. If you didn′t like Halo CE (which is better than Halo 3 from sources i have heard), you might not like Morrowind since the graphics aren′t that fancy.
However i don′t know you so you might like it anyway. It is quite cheap nowadays so it wouldnt be a problem to spend 10$ for it.

I use Windows 7 and i have had no problems.

Shortly: Just get it because it doesn′t cost that much.
Rebecca Dosch

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:04 am

Halo CE was so much better than Halo 3. I don't how anyone could say otherwise... I really don't...

Morrowind is a much better game than Oblivion especially if you look at vanilla versus vanilla. I probably played morrowind for a good 30-40 hours before really understanding the mechanics of the game. By that time I think I had gotten through 90% of Oblivion's entire content. The game will take much longer to get into then Oblivion. It's not necessairly a difficult game. It's just that for the first part of the game, even fighting the easiest monsters or advancing in the main quest wont be possible. Oblivion throws you right into the action to start. For Morrowind you have to struggle for a while to get to some action, and even then the fighting isn't that great. Saying that I'd say just to try to give the game 50 hours at least (regardless of what you think after the first few) and by that time you will really enjoy it.
Ymani Hood

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players - a guide to the differences in game-play

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/781497-vistawindows-7-problems/ - all easy to implement if you encounter them

If you don't like older games, then Morrowind (and about 50,000 other games) are not for you.
Barbequtie

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 am

Tell me about your experience with Oblivion, how do you play? In Character Creation, what do you choose and why? It will help determine if you'll like Morrowind.
danni Marchant

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 am

I played Oblivion first, and then Morrowind.

While I still like both games a lot, I really prefer Morrowind now. This is mostly because I find the guild and main quest so much more interesting than the dumbed down and narrowed quest lines from Oblivin. For instance, it's just great that you can finish the Fighters Guild in two ways in Morrowind. And that you have choices with previous quests - are you Ranis' loyal moron who kills everyone that she asks you to, or are you just pretending to do so, only to stab her in the back in the end? It's fun and immersive.
Yonah

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

I can't speak from personal experience with Morrowind, since I started the series with it and only played Oblivion later on. Although I have also played Daggerfall and enjoyed it. But in any case, I can't guarentee you'll like Morrowind, of course, but I've seen examples here of players who played Oblivion first and still enjoyed Morrowind. And the fact that you didn't like the original Halo is not that much to go on if I don't know why even though you enjoyed Halo 3 you did not like it, plus, I've never played any Halo game. But either way, Morrowind probably isn't that expensive now, so I'd say it's worth trying, even if you end up not liking it, there could still be worse ways to spend your money, and if you do, you can expect to get a lot of entertainment out of it, since you won't be seeing everything the game has to offer any time soon. Just keep in mind that in many ways, Morrowind is different from Oblivion. And I don't just mean that the setting or story is different, or that Morrowind uses less advanced technology. I mean that there are many differences in game design as well. There are varying opinions on which is better, and I'm not going to waste your time on telling you what I think, because what you're here to ask is whether YOU will like Morrowind, not what I feel about it, but the point is that you should be prepared for something a little different from what you got in Oblivion. My best advice is don't give up simply because you don't really get into the game on your first sitting, because I would say Morrowind is harder to get into than Oblivion, by this, I mean that you can expect to spend more time not knowing what the hell you're supposed to do, especially when you first start the game and don't really know it very well yet. Just give it a bit of time, for me, the results of the time I gave it were certainly worth it, you can see for yourself if it will be the same for you as well.

You'll of course find that the graphics are dated, seeing as Morrowind was released several years before Oblivion. If that bothers you, you can download graphics replacers on the PC version, or if you want to do something a little more advanced, you can get Morrowind Graphics Extender, but I'd recommend trying the game without mods first, as once you've seen how the game is "out of the box", you may have a better idea of what you'd like changed about it. No amount of mods is likely to make Morrowind look exactly like Oblivion, but improving the quality of models and textures is certainly not a problem,

Also, you might try reading http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players. While it might not answer your question, it could provide some information that will help you adapt better to the differences between Morrowind and Oblivion.

As far as how well it works on Vista, I don't know, since I'm still using XP.
Lynette Wilson

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm on the fence about getting this i played Halo 3 and then decided to start from the beginning and play Halo C.E but i didn't really like it. Also does the game have any issues playing on vista?

Like many others, I started with Oblivion and still liked Morrowind a lot. In addition to all the previously mentioned documents and method to know if you'll like the game, you could also check the beginning of a Let's Play of Morrowind. http://www.youtube.com/user/gixG17 for example, is an Oblivion veteran who decided to try Morrowind. You could see the game in action and hear the impressions of a fellow Oblivion player. Maybe that could help you in your decision.
Miragel Ginza

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:17 am

If you liked OB as a combat game, then you'll probably be bored to tears with MW. If you liked developing your character, figuring out what was going on around you, and learning about the world of Tamriel, then MW might be exactly what you're looking for.

In OB, you start out "equal" to everything around you, and as your character develops, so does everything around you, so the challenge is always "the same" (success is guaranteed, but the results are "nerfed" to your level). In MW, you start out as one of the weakest things in the game (everything is awkward and difficult), and have to work to become the most powerful thing in the game (it eventually becomes TOO easy). The games are similar in a lot of ways, but there's a fundamental difference to the underlying design philisophy.
Bitter End

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:01 am

Saying that I'd say just to try to give the game 50 hours at least (regardless of what you think after the first few) and by that time you will really enjoy it.

Thats what they told me about Two Worlds...
Len swann

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:50 am

I also played Oblivion first. Here's my opinion:

The game may seem a little bland at first with the dated graphics and lack of drive in terms of story. You might think "wtf is going on, what do i do?" i thought it was "meh" at first after hearing it being bigged up on these forums for so long.
Anyway if you stick at it past those first couple of hours everything will slowly click into place as you put together things you learn about the land, then the game becomes so much more :)
Give it a try see how you do.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 am

I can't tell you what games you will and won't like, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people that had played Oblivion first will find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get into Morrowind.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:14 am

I can't tell you what games you will and won't like, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people that had played Oblivion first will find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get into Morrowind.

Exactly. Like they say, it ain't really beginner friendly.
bimsy

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:58 am

Exactly. Like they say, it ain't really beginner friendly.

Especially if you're starting it with the wrong expectations. But the 'Morrowind for Oblivion Players' guide that Selbeth linked to is very useful for that. :)
Sxc-Mary

Return to III - Morrowind