WIP Unique Cities

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi, as you might know I'm actually working on a small community ressource pack called "TDW's Unique Places" and I just recently came up with the idea to give one of Vvardenfall's cities a "slight" facelift. Facelift, meaning in this case adding additional tiles to the architecture and retexturing the existing tiles. If you think all the cities don't need to be changed at all, you might even vote for a new city!!! ;)

What you think?

EDIT: New city will be architecture only, no interiors, npc, quests!!!

TheDaywalker :rock:
sw1ss

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:39 pm

I voted Mar Gaan cos its a cool city and i havn't seen many mods for the place

EDIT: Although its actually spelt Maar Gan :P
Nicole Coucopoulos

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:16 am

I knew it is spelled "Maar Gan", just wanted to put you to the test!!! :D

meg knight

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Ha ha, fair enough :P

I'd love to see a much bugger version of the city anyway, would be cool, i always feel the cities are too small in vanilla
Robyn Lena

Balmora, I think it has the most potential out of those listed.
I can imagine it as a big city, with narrow alleys, more varied heights and a network of rooftops, the perfect home for a thief! :ninja:
Vera Maslar

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:35 pm

There are too many Balmora mods, but the thing is, there's yet to be one that really impressed me. So i agree with you Dirnae, would be cool to buff it up a bit
Timara White

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:44 pm

ald-rhun because at the moment my buildings are blue D:
I think it is because of "fantasy morrowind"
NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:32 pm

When I change the size of a city or make different levels of height, wouldn't that mean to make all the path grids new again from scratch, cause that is a thing I have no experience with at all?! :(

Gisela Amaya

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 pm

I vote Vivec. I've always thought there should be a buildings on the road leading up to the first Canton (foreign) and around the shore. Kind of like where people who live in the village surrounding a castle or outside the city walls :shrug:

Oh and for SG...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5758

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=8222
Travis

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:35 pm

My vote is for Vivec.
Jessica Phoenix

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 pm

I vote Vivec. I've always thought there should be a buildings on the road leading up to the first Canton (foreign) and around the shore. Kind of like where people who live in the village surrounding a castle or outside the city walls :shrug:

Oh and for SG...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5758

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=8222

Nice one! :thumbsup:
x_JeNnY_x

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Please go on with giving some reasons for your votes and let me also know what kinda changes you'd like to see in the cities. This all will be a ressource also, so it's all for you guys, cause I hardly play myself at all!!! ;)

Miss Hayley

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Well i think building a few more elaborate redoran interior and exterior tiles would be cool, not as common as hlaalu and in my opinion look alot cooler. Would love to see Maar Gan expanded into the cell south of it. With some bigger buildings and more variety, would look really cool
noa zarfati

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 pm

I voted Vivec, because I really think that there should be more open tops to the plazas, a more 3-D system of roads, and have buildings up in the air around the cantons, essentially, turn it into a 3-D city where it is hard to actually see the outside system of cantons, and I would love it if there were propaganda posters from Vivec along the walls, and a more 1984 like world, like if the world is designed to always allow you to see the palace, or the Ministry of Truth, and that there should be more guards, and different types of ordinators all across the city.
Wow, that was a very long run-on sentence.
Bereket Fekadu

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm

I vote Gnissis :whistle:

It's really the only settlement on all of Vvardenfell that I'd like to see fixed up (I've grown too attatched to the others :) )
Its layout could be vastily improved upon. I also don't think there's been much other mod work on it.

Other than that, I guess Molag Mar can feel a little bland. I version of Vivec based on the original http://www.uesp.net/image.shtml?morrow/preview/viveccity.jpg would also be very nice but also a lot of work to do

I actually think Maar Gan's vanilla size and layout is perfect. It has a nice "small outpost of civilzation in the middle of a treacherous wasteland" feel. Bigger isn't alway's better.

But that's just my opinion :shrug:
Chris Johnston

I was trying to find something to do for my portfolio and I figured......... Well all I should say is don't mess with the Nord/Imperial housing for a bit. :P Unless you wish to make that junk your own way then don't listen to me. ;)
ezra

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 pm

I voted for Ald'rhun. I thought of Balmora, but figured that Balmora already gets too much attention. I considered Vivec second, but then decided that I wouldn't vote for it because its a really a huge place that could take longer to mod than anything else with your intentions. I briefly considered something Telvanni, but quickly decided no as I've tried messing around with that tileset before and its a nightmare. In the end Ald'rhun got my vote because it has never gotten much modding attention, isn't super huge, doesn't have a frustrating to work with tileset, and because I've always liked the place more than Balmora and Vivec.
Jenna Fields

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 pm

i vote for Ald-ruhn. I like the unique (non Hlaalu) architecture, and I rarely see any mods fixing it up. I am aware of 1 smaller mod for it, but I would love to see an overhaul.

Also, in response to the Vivec city having buildings on top of the cantons, there is a project to do just that. It's called Ultimate Vivec. At the moment, the Hlaalu and Telvanni are done. Redorn is close to it, but has been postponed for several months now (rl issues... poor modder :( ).

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=957631&hl=
Emma-Jane Merrin

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:55 pm

I think big city doesn't need another look, just retain the original concept of gamesas is looks ok.

so, the target is new city or small city that shouldn't that small.

I vote new city.
but I suggest to make a new Thirsk, because that's too small compare to it's history.
carla

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm

I say either Balmora or Vivec.
anna ley

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Thx for the input guys!! :) I know there are already out some exellent city mods, like "Ultimate Vivec", which is actually a project of a friend of mine from germany and I like it very much!!! In case I'd work on Vivec, I won't just take off some roofs...I'm a person that doesn't care for lore that much, cause that restricts me in what I want to to. I'll make radical changes to the city, give it a whole different look. My mod will most obviously not be compartible to any Vivec mod, which depends on the actual exteriors.

My first thoughts on Vivec were to make it more interesting to explore, not just walking around in a square, go up to the next level, walk around in a square again, go to next canton walk around in a square again and so on. I would like it to be a playground, with hidden paths across roofs, balconies, small bridge parts, additional accesses to the underwork and secret hideouts. It needs definately more people on the roads, a market, black market, new sounds to get rid of that empty feeling, plants and decoration and so on.

Vivec is a large city, where a god resides, so why is it so empty and monotone. Why is it that you can't figure out in which canton you are, except by it's name on the map. Why there is no poverty, no deseased people, no rats, thrash like it should be with so many people in such a large city? That are just a few of the thoughts which come to my mind now spontanious.

One thing I liked about Vivec very much was that giant floating rock, the "ministry of truth", where did it came from and why there is only one such rock? Ok, it is unique that way, but I'd make use of that concept much more. I'd populate the whole city with such rocks, put buildings on top, flying gardens, watchposts for the guards and so on. Another interesting thing is, that the ministry is the only piece of architecture on the outside of Vivec, that features wooden constructions. I'd definately change that, especially in cantons where people live that aren't that wealthy.

Ok, I'll stop at that point cause I just wanted to give some example and not making commercial for Vivec!!! :)

Laura Elizabeth

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Daywalker i just had a look at your friends ultimate vivec, and ive changed my mind. I now think you should work on vivec, and incorporate his two cantons aswell, they look truly amazing. And i love your idea's for working on Vivec.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:59 pm

I think this is a great idea. I voted Molag Mar. Mainly because I would like to see some new Velothi architecture. But Vivec would be nice too ;)
renee Duhamel

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm

I don't care much, as long as it's not Balmora. That has been done to death and I'd rather see something for a less modded city.
Chloe :)

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:43 am

One thing I liked about Vivec very much was that giant floating rock, the "ministry of truth", where did it came from and why there is only one such rock? Ok, it is unique that way, but I'd make use of that concept much more. I'd populate the whole city with such rocks, put buildings on top, flying gardens, watchposts for the guards and so on. Another interesting thing is, that the ministry is the only piece of architecture on the outside of Vivec, that features wooden constructions. I'd definately change that, especially in cantons where people live that aren't that wealthy.

I know you don't really care about lore, but:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ministry_of_Truth

There's definitely a reason for it, and I'm not sure the effect would work too well if there were dozens of them across the city. Just a thought :)
Danger Mouse

Next

Return to III - Morrowind