Abandoned Virtual Worlds?

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 pm

So, I was recently pointed to this place: http://www.virtualworldsreview.com/worldscom/ I got in there, explored a bit, and was kind of fascinated by the concept of what I was looking it: it's essentially a post-apocalyptic virtual world: it pretty much stopped growing or evolving somewhere around 1998, and so we have this kind of internet time capsule. Then I got to wondering if any other such virtual worlds exist, for free of course. I can't sleep, I'm feeling adventurous--can anyone help with this odd request?
vicki kitterman

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 pm

I can't look at this just now (am at work) but I swear this is what I've been thinking about for ages!! When I first started using the internet, I remembered some weird Second Life type place but it was more to do with e-commerce etc than actual social networking and chatting. You walked about and could go into an Apple Store for example, and purchase items. I swear I think this is it...
Melung Chan

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 am

Second Life is exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. There's also imvu, but that svcks. Ourworld is also there, but it's more for the youngsters.
Jason Rice

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Second Life is exactly the kind of thing you're looking for.

^

SL is the way to go. Used to have separate teen servers, but not it's all merged, so the age barriers are dependent on the sims, not the servers and software.
Fluffer

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Second Life is exactly the kind of thing you're looking for.

I think the OP is talking about exploring virtual wastelands, online worlds that have been abandoned by their users, so you'd be the only one wandering around the place. Like the people who explore libraries and train stations in Detroit.
!beef

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

I think the OP is talking about exploring virtual wastelands, online worlds that have been abandoned by their users, so you'd be the only one wandering around the place. Like the people who explore libraries and train stations in Detroit.

Well in that case, I don't think SL is where to go. There might be a server on Gary's Mod though....
Annick Charron

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 am

http://www.darkages.com/.

Its free for 14 days, but that should be enough time for you to explore a bit and see how empty the place has become.

I haven't played it for 8+ years mind you.
Tasha Clifford

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:55 pm

http://www.theonion.com/video/internet-archaeologists-find-ruins-of-friendster-c,14389/
lucile

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:52 pm

World of Warcraft might just borderline qualify, ironically. Since the random dungeon group tool was introduced, the majority of players will just sit idle in their capital cities and wait until they can be instantly teleported to a dungeon. This has caused a huge decrease in activity throughout most of the actual game world, most of the zones are void of players.
RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm

World of Warcraft might just borderline qualify, ironically. Since the random dungeon group tool was introduced, the majority of players will just sit idle in their capital cities and wait until they can be instantly teleported to a dungeon. This has caused a huge decrease in activity throughout most of the actual game world, most of the zones are void of players.

That's much better for the devs. People stay where you can pump them full of endorphins quickly, instead of wandering around and potentially getting bored with the game.
GEo LIme

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:17 am

Yea, this whole thing is very intesting -- exploring entire worlds abandoned by their creators and users.

I personally don't know of any, although I have a vague feeling that I do...
Wayne W

Return to Othor Games