About Bretons and their Origin

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Where did bretons come from? Did the idea come from Great Britain or the French province of Brittany. Also i wanted to know more about them. Heres what I do know. I know that they are a sort of half elves. They are what came out of centuries of breeding between Manmer and Nords. I know Manmer came from breeding between Altmer and slaves they took from the population that eventually became Nords. I also know that this led bretons to have a proficiency for magic. I also know that they are from High Rock. Can someone help me out and tell me more? Thanks :)
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Bretons have french names and their culture seems to be very french but with a few celtic elements.
That's all I know.
louise tagg

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:48 am

Bretons have french names and their culture seems to be very french but with a few celtic elements.
That's all I know.

oh
Your Mum

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:28 pm

oh

But there are probably some lore-buffs then can tell you the entire history of High-Rock, the names of all the kings and what size shoes they wear.
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:24 pm

But there are probably some lore-buffs then can tell you the entire history of High-Rock, the names of all the kings and what size shoes they wear.

lol well I am here for more detail and none of them seem to be showing up
Sarah Evason

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:32 am

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not really a question that you couldn't answer yourself by http://www.imperial-library.info/.
Erin S

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:10 am

Bretons have french and british-sounding names and their culture seems to be very french but with a few celtic elements.
That's all I know.

fixed :P
Stryke Force

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 am

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not really a question that you couldn't answer yourself by http://www.imperial-library.info/.

It just says the basic stuff not their origin.
xxLindsAffec

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 am

Actually, it does.

Searching for "Breton", the http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/highrock.shtmland http://www.imperial-library.info/pge3/highrock.shtmlhits give quite a bit about their history.
ladyflames

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 am

Actually, it does.

Searching for "Breton", the http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/highrock.shtmland http://www.imperial-library.info/pge3/highrock.shtmlhits give quite a bit about their history.

oh there we go this site is cool thanks!
sophie

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:52 am

The Bretons are more Nede than Nord, like the Cyro-Nordics of Colovia but with elf in the mix. Nedes being indigenous, of course.
Daniel Brown

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 am

The Bretons are more Nede than Nord, like the Cyro-Nordics of Colovia but with elf in the mix. Nedes being indigenous, of course.

Ah interesting I think Nedes are the ones from the frozen contiennt north of tamriel correct?
Celestine Stardust

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:07 am

slaves they took from the population that eventually became Nords.

That's only what the powers at be want you to think. A good chunk of their blood comes straight from Tamrielic soil. The rest comes from Atmora and Aldmeris.
Steph

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:48 am

Ah interesting I think Nedes are the ones from the frozen contiennt north of tamriel correct?

Nords are from Atmora, or rather their ancestors, who have no more apt name than proto-Nords.

The Nedes are humans who lived in Tamriel long, long before the first ship from Atmora. Like the Kothringi, they had their own independent racial and cultural groups. Histories always confuse the two human races, which look quite similar if you're an Altmer.

If you really think about it, the Nedes coming from Atmora doesn't stack up. So the settlers landed and spread out all over Tamriel peacefully, created their own culture and intermingled with the elves for many years and then suddenly all hell broke loose? Not likely. The ships from Atmora colonized Skyrim and fought with the Aldmer there. How could extreme cultural and racial diffusion have occurred simultaneously all over the continent? It would be like millions of Mongols building tailor shops in Paris even as their hordes sacked Hungary.

Edit: Okay, I'll admit it. Out-of-Atmora annoys me.
Kira! :)))

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:31 am

Nords are from Atmora, or rather their ancestors, who have no more apt name than proto-Nords.

The Nedes are humans who lived in Tamriel long, long before the first ship from Atmora. Like the Kothringi, they had their own independent racial and cultural groups. Histories always confuse the two human races, which look quite similar if you're an Altmer.

If you really think about it, the Nedes coming from Atmora doesn't stack up. So the settlers landed and spread out all over Tamriel peacefully, created their own culture and intermingled with the elves for many years and then suddenly all hell broke loose? Not likely. The ships from Atmora colonized Skyrim and fought with the Aldmer there. How could extreme cultural and racial diffusion have occurred simultaneously all over the continent? It would be like millions of Mongols building tailor shops in Paris even as their hordes sacked Hungary.

Edit: Okay, I'll admit it. Out-of-Atmora annoys me.

lol
Stacey Mason

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 am

If you really think about it, the Nedes coming from Atmora doesn't stack up. So the settlers landed and spread out all over Tamriel peacefully, created their own culture and intermingled with the elves for many years and then suddenly all hell broke loose? Not likely.

Its more likely the stupid Nords caused all the violence directed towards the Nedic races in the first place. The Cyrodills don't even realize that their "Nordic friends" were actually the reason the Ayleids began enslaving them in the first place.

Along that vein, are we really sure the Direnni kept the proto-manmer as six slaves? I'd say it is more likely the two races lived together in glorious harmony until the baby-seal clubbers came over and started slaughtering and [censored] everyone in High Rock.

I guess we can really trace all political problems in Tamriel back to the Nords and Dunmer, can't we?
Angus Poole

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:17 am

Its more likely the stupid Nords caused all the violence directed towards the Nedic races in the first place. The Cyrodills don't even realize that their "Nordic friends" were actually the reason the Ayleids began enslaving them in the first place.

Along that vein, are we really sure the Direnni kept the proto-manmer as six slaves? I'd say it is more likely the two races lived together in glorious harmony until the baby-seal clubbers came over and started slaughtering and [censored] everyone in High Rock.

I guess we can really trace all political problems in Tamriel back to the Nords and Dunmer, can't we?

Agreed.

But what were the relative time periods of the Nord/Dunmer and Nord/Aldmer conflicts? Which came first?
leigh stewart

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Agreed.

But what were the relative time periods of the Nord/Dunmer and Nord/Aldmer conflicts? Which came first?

I second that question and also are the elves that were being fought by the nords since they fight everyone like the vikings the altmer or the ayleids. Yes I know they are pretty similar but I want to know. Also thinking of this whole Midieval idea could the dwemer be the Mongols and the Dunmer be either the Chinese or Russians. It doesnt really matter both pushed the mongols out but I also not the mongols as being similar to the vikings.
Bones47

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:51 pm

My friends,

We Bretons are the perfect mixture of natural elven magickal mastery and the persevering and indominable human ingenuity and spirit. Most Emperors of the Septim Dynasty were either born or spent their early years in High Rock. We gave the world the glorious Divine Tiber Septim. The Iliac Bay Region belongs to High Rock (pay no mind to the neverending grumbling of the still-licking-their-wounds-after-Betony Sentinel), and no peoples have dedicated themselves more to education, magickal endeavors, or servitude to the Divines.

Who are the Bretons? We are the models of civilized culture in Tamriel. It is only because it is the will of Akatosh that the Empire rests in the hands of the Cyrodiilics. Should that will shift, however, we Bretons could easily subordinate the other provinces. Are we not the Scholars of Tamriel?

Yours in the Scrolls (and proudly from Midbury, Daggerfall),

___The Word Merchant of Julianos
Melis Hristina

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:20 am

My friends,

We Bretons are the perfect mixture of natural elven magickal mastery and the persevering and indominable human ingenuity and spirit. Most Emperors of the Septim Dynasty were either born or spent their early years in High Rock. We gave the world the glorious Divine Tiber Septim. The Iliac Bay Region belongs to High Rock (pay no mind to the neverending grumbling of the still-licking-their-wounds-after-Betony Sentinel), and no peoples have dedicated themselves more to education, magickal endeavors, or servitude to the Divines.

Who are the Bretons? We are the models of civilized culture in Tamriel. It is only because it is the will of Akatosh that the Empire rests in the hands of the Cyrodiilics. Should that will shift, however, we Bretons could easily subordinate the other provinces. Are we not the Scholars of Tamriel?

Yours in the Scrolls (and proudly from Midbury, Daggerfall),
___The Word Merchant of Julianos

SO are they not the French reincarnated in a video game or are they?
Nomee

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:44 am

I don't believe that they were deliberately modelled after anyone in particular. Anything a person views, whether it be a video game race or what have you, can be compared to something else.

Are the Bretons "French-ish"? I don't think so. They probably have more in common with real-world races like the French than they do with real-world Australian aborigines or Northern Inuits, but that does not make them "modelled" after any one real-world culture.

Am I making sense?

(and pardon me for the in-character post above...sometimes, I just can't help myself. :twirl:)

___TWM
Bad News Rogers

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:01 am

I don't believe that they were deliberately modelled after anyone in particular. Anything a person views, whether it be a video game race or what have you, can be compared to something else.

Are the Bretons "French-ish"? I don't think so. They probably have more in common with real-world races like the French than they do with real-world Australian aborigines or Northern Inuits, but that does not make them "modelled" after any one real-world culture.

Am I making sense?

(and pardon me for the in-character post above...sometimes, I just can't help myself. :twirl:)

___TWM

its ok it was cool. My best character on xbox is a breton a level 20 pure mage. His only problem is that he has to hide behind a storm atronach at all times. He also isnt very good in the area of roleplay as he is in every faction the game has except for the small obscure ones and he is also madgod but soon I got the pc and now I think I have to make a breton again. They are really cool.
Dean Ashcroft

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Although there is a great deal of literature on the Bretonic race, I would suggest these sources for the most definitive summary:

http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/highrock.shtml

http://www.imperial-library.info/pge3/highrock.shtml

http://www.imperial-library.info/dfbooks/b061_daggerfall_hist_2.shtml

http://www.imperial-library.info/dfbooks/b079_etiquette.shtml

___TWM
michael flanigan

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:45 am

Agreed.

I mentioned the Dunmer simply beacuse they too have caused many problems of Tajmriel. The enslavement of the beast races, the attempted genocide of the Dwemer (whose land they invaded, Dwemer where there first) as well as the idiotic battles with the Nords that killed millions of Nords, Orcs and Dwemer.

But yes, when you have two of the most insane and aggressive races on Tamriel in a perpetual war, you get a hell of a lot of problems. Those are two much needed genocides that would just make Nirn a better place.
Kayla Bee

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:11 pm

I mentioned the Dunmer simply beacuse they too have caused many problems of Tajmriel. The enslavement of the beast races, the attempted genocide of the Dwemer (whose land they invaded, Dwemer where there first) as well as the idiotic battles with the Nords that killed millions of Nords, Orcs and Dwemer.

But yes, when you have two of the most insane and aggressive races on Tamriel in a perpetual war, you get a hell of a lot of problems. Those are two much needed genocides that would just make Nirn a better place.

Bretons rule! and the Dwemer!
Allison Sizemore

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion