Aldmer regression back to Aetherius/White-Gold/Psijic Endeav

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 am

What if(/when) the Aldmeri eschatological endeavor all suddenly happened one day? What would happen, and is it so bad as it sounds? If The White-Gold was used it's proper purpose and not some tourist attraction, all the Stones were removed. What next? Would anyone actually notice... A big flash of white light? AKATOSH drinking tea?

Hypothetically, can we stipulate what the Aedric reaction would be to such a fundamental change in realities? Would Nirn be affected at all?

Is it bad at all though... Well, trading mortal imagination and awareness for the divine and ineffable experience seems to be something that the Aylied and the Altmer seem to be fine with, why not men?
Ross

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

It could be that the Aldmer think of mortality as a mistake and a prison, while Men think of the world as not a mistake, and part of the plan. Lorkhan failed and yet succeeded, in that he spawned a mortal world that has the potential to surpass the Et'ada, if I understand correctly.
dell

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:55 am

"To kill Man is to reach Heaven, from where we came before the Doom Drum's iniquity. When we accomplish this, we can escape the mockery and long shame of the Material Prison.

"To achieve this goal, we must:

"1) Erase the Upstart Talos from the mythic. His presence fortifies the Wheel of the Convention, and binds our souls to this plane.

"2) Remove Man not just from the world, but from the Pattern of Possibility, so that the very idea of them can be forgotten and thereby never again repeated.

"3) With Talos and the Sons of Talos removed, the Dragon will become ours to unbind. The world of mortals will be over. The Dragon will uncoil his hold on the stagnancy of linear time and move as Free Serpent again, moving through the Aether without measure or burden, spilling time along the innumerable roads we once travelled. And with that we will regain the mantle of the imperishable spirit."

Merry Christmas,

MK

Jack Walker

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Basically, elves are whiny and lazy.
Steven Nicholson

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:48 pm

What if(/when) the Aldmeri eschatological endeavor all suddenly happened one day? What would happen, and is it so bad as it sounds? If The White-Gold was used it's proper purpose and not some tourist attraction, all the Stones were removed. What next? Would anyone actually notice... A big flash of white light? AKATOSH drinking tea?

LOL you're KILLIN' me with this tea stuff dude!

Is it bad at all though... Well, trading mortal imagination and awareness for the divine and ineffable experience seems to be something that the Aylied and the Altmer seem to be fine with, why not men?

Well, I think it just boils down to the Akatosh-Lorkhan schism that began with the Ehlnofey and Wandering Ehlnofey. That's a basic, simple answer because I'm too lazy to say the longer one.

Now onto my question: why is Talos so important in terms of his existence in the divine? Is it because of his mantling of Akatosh? I don't fully understand how he fortifies the Wheel yet.
Sunny Under

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Because Elves represent stagnancy and Men represent progress. Only the Men have the wrong idea; ergo, backwards progress.

Um. That sounded a lot better in my head.

Well, no single cultural group follows the Psijic Endeavor. Not the Elves, not the Humans, and certainly not the Psijic Order. The closest one can get to a cohesive following of the Endeavor would be the Velothi, but they got sidetracked by Daedra worship and other stuff thanks to Mephala, Boethiah, and that lot..

The Elves and Ayleids certainly didn't believe in that stuff, and I imagine they would generally think that the Psijic Endeavor is a rather profane and arrogant venture... to try to rise above one's holy ancestors would be sacrilege or blasphemy. But the truth of it is that their ancestors were closer to that "divine and ineffable experience" (as you so aptly put it), in some ways, but a lot farther from it in others.

On the level of existence that Elves consider to be the holy, natural order, one is incapable of self-reflection, because one is a part of a homogenous universal whole. On the lower subgradients, you can differentiate between yourself and the universe, but recognising yourself as being one with the universe and an individual simultaneously is counterintuitive.

Transcendental existence would mean that you are still an individual, but you are the only individual and the most important one at that.
Daramis McGee

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 am

Now onto my question: why is Talos so important in terms of his existence in the divine? Is it because of his mantling of Akatosh? I don't fully understand how he fortifies the Wheel yet.

*Disclaimer: this is my theory, not widely accepted at this point.*

Muthsera,

It is my humble opinion that Talos is a "Ghost of Shor" that has ascended with a new Heart, that is, the heart of his enantiomorphic other self. Lorkhan's place reaffirmed.

Additionally, Tamriel is known as "the Arena" and "the House of Sithis". Talos is a god of war, and the fluidity, chaos and change of war is a good depiction of the First Chaos of Sithis/Padomay.

A Heartless Lorkhan means that time remains linear, which is what the elves do not want. Lorkhan's place is filled, but with a being that does not need Lorkhan's Heart. The Wheel is fortified, and returning Lorkhan's Heart will no longer return the world to Dawn Era nonlinear time. Talos, therefore, must be removed before the freeing of Lorkhan's Heart can have any effect.

But gods (at least the Divine ones) live on through their "aspects", that is to say the mortals that mirror them (i.e., their "blood"). The Imperial race are aspects of Talos, therfore they must be erased before Talos can be erased.

Conclusion: not only must the Empire fall, but so, too, must the Imperials that make it up. Once that is done, then the Wheel can be unfurled.

___The Word Merchant of Julianos
Lisa Robb

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:01 pm

A Heartless Lorkhan means that time remains linear, which is what the elves do not want. Lorkhan's place is filled, but with a being that does not need Lorkhan's Heart. The Wheel is fortified, and returning Lorkhan's Heart will no longer return the world to Dawn Era nonlinear time. Talos, therefore, must be removed before the freeing of Lorkhan's Heart can have any effect.

I agree with you but I think it goes a step farther than just going back to the dawn. They want a pre-dawn flux, unbound from the confines of the Wheel completely.
Chris Cross Cabaret Man

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:30 pm

I agree with you but I think it goes a step farther than just going back to the dawn. They want a pre-dawn flux, unbound from the confines of the Wheel completely.

When did your signature become awesome? :P
dav

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:03 am

The quote TWM posted sums it up nicely. I think mortal mental stress tells us that were this reaetheriusization to happen, we would all see a sudden explosion of balls. It's really a shame Altmer don't seem to get what a pretty hue that gray is when you think about it.

As to why the men aren't really into that fun stuff, I may have http://imperial-library.info/fsg/briansarticle02.shtml
emily grieve

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:38 pm

The quote TWM posted sums it up nicely. I think mortal mental stress tells us that were this reaetheriusization to happen, we would all see a sudden explosion of balls. It's really a shame Altmer don't seem to get what a pretty hue that gray is when you think about it.

That one went over my head, and sounds vaguely unwholesome. :) I assume you mean the end of the world?
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I assume you mean the end of the world?

I mean the "Aldmer regression," which would be the end of the fun world.
Greg Swan

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Do you mean, the fun end of the world... or the end of the world of fun?

Syntax of silliness!
Queen

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks. I agree that then there would be no more stories to tell.
Esther Fernandez

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 am

I wonder what the Dunmer would think of it. They never did get along with the other elves.
maya papps

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:47 am

I wonder what the Dunmer would think of it. They never did get along with the other elves.

If the Aldmer won and had their little regression party? There would be no thinking. It's pretty obvious what they think of the idea itself; that's why Veloth filed for divorce and moved in with Azura and company.
Dagan Wilkin

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion