An alpha release and a goodbye

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:31 am

Dear Morrowind modding community,

This feels stuffy and self-important, but I would rather say it than just fade away. I'm not going to go into the details, but an urgent medical situation has developed with me recently. I will be undergoing an operation this week, but even if the operation is successful, due to the nature of the problem and the stage of diagnosis, it is very likely that I will not be able to continue modding or even being involved in this community in any shape or form afterwards. There is a slim chance that it may not be as bad as it seems and I'll be back in a few months, but more likely, this is it.

Anticipating this, I thought I would say my thank you's and also offer up all I've done with my big project, http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1502973-wip-into-the-void-a-big-companionquest-mod/.

So, firstly, thank you all so much.

Thank you to the modders present and past who have transformed my experience of Morrowind from that of a great and unusually compelling game into an indescribably awesome, irreplacable journey. I will never forget the characters I've lived as and the worlds I've walked through, and none of it would have been possible without you. Playing MW (I've been playing for years before I joined up as a modder here) has been a huge part of my growing up. Might sound sappy, but it contributed a lot to who I am today and the way I tell my stories.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me as I learned (slowly... painfully slowly...) to make my own mods. You helped me bring my own visions to the game -- to move from being a sole recipient of stories to one who makes them as well as receives them. You solved my problems, you gave me advice, you sympathised with my woes, and you never once tired of my incompetence. It's been such a joy being able to make stories of my own, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help.

Special mention to Darkelfguy for his tireless support for MW in general, and also his generally having a soft spot for my mods and saying incredibly nice things about them, as well as beta testing the first one. Thank you!

Thank you to all the players who said kind things, and really, thank you to anyone who tried any of my mods at all. There's a lot out there, and I know from experience that it's easy to get picky about what you do and don't include. I'm honoured that you gave my creations a try. I hope you liked them.

Don't worry about saying something back or trying to make me feel better -- disorganised and disheveled as always, I have left this to the last minute and will be going to hospital soon, so I probably won't see any replies.

Ok, now onto the https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0ss6y_pJT86MGVESjZKQkJJSDA?usp=sharing.

As some of you may know, I've been working for a few years now on a big companion / quest / faction mod called http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1502973-wip-into-the-void-a-big-companionquest-mod/. To my deep disappointment (seriously -- I'm crushed), my lousy medical matters mean that I will likely never be able to finish this. But then I thought, hey, I've spent hundreds of hours on this, and there's a lot that's playable -- why not share? My last parting gift to the community, or something?

Here is the https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0ss6y_pJT86MGVESjZKQkJJSDA?usp=sharing of Into the Void -- I'm just calling it 'Sabrina', after the name of the companion, because she is much more fully realised than the quests or factions. I've included a readme-type document below.

To sum up, Sabrina herself is just about finished as a fully functional companion who has her own personality and backstory. She has commentary for most MW quests and all TRI quests, and hundreds of other dialogue responses (eg. greetings, idle conversations, rumours). She also has advanced scripting and functions. Unfortunately, the romance experience is unfinished, so I would advise against pursuing that because it won't go anywhere, but other than that, Sabrina is ready to play as a companion and has an absolute tonne of unique dialogue. She should also be mostly bug-free -- there may be some dialogue loops and some of the older dialogue which I didn't get to rewrite may be a bit weak, but she won't blow up.

The faction is accessible and has new headquarters and NPCs, all w/ their own personalities and dialogue, but there are only ~a dozen new quests added, so it may feel like an empty experience. The MQ is only half-way done, so it will build up slowly and then abruptly end with no closure. Unlike the companion part, these quests have not been tested at all -- some are simple enough that they're likely to work, but some are big and script-intensive and without debugging, are almost certain to screw up.

Lore friendliness: Sabrina herself is quite lore friendly. The new faction is a bit of a stretch, but not majorly out of place, I feel. Same with the MQ. But I dunno. Those who value strict adherence to lore may want to skip.

I've run out of time so I can't write anymore. I also didn't get time to include proper credits -- everyone whose resources I used are listed in a file on the linked archive, but I like to write more in-depth credits and I just didn't have time. I'm sorry guys. I've attached the readme type doc below -- it should offer some more info.

Juanita Hernandez

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:13 am

Allow me to thank you for your contribution to the community HangHimHigher. It's always sad to see a fellow modder have to leave.

Lets hope it's not as bad as it sounds, and that you'll be back sometime soon.

I wish you all the best,

Trance

renee Duhamel

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Oh, no, that sounds bad. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will be better, regardless of you returning to modding or not. Thank you for your contributions, and even though I have not played your mods yet, I've heard nothing but good things about them and I will play them once I return to playing Morrowind.

Here's to hoping you will return some day!

john page

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:04 pm

thank you, take care, we'll take care of her until you return

Baby K(:

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:22 am

Thank you for your amazing mods, HangHimHigher. Always thought you were one of the best writers in the community, and I think your mods will always be memorable for that talent, among many other great reasons. Wish you best of luck with the procedure and will pray for a full recovery.

Jason King

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm deeply saddened to hear about your health problems and potentially leaving the community. You're one of the more talented quest modders and story-writers I've seen in this community, and I've greatly enjoyed your mods, I can only hope you'll be able to return to modding one day. But of course, your health comes first and I hope the operation is successful!

In the meantime, thank you so much for sharing your mods and your stories with the community, they've meant a lot to me, as I'm sure they've meant a lot to others, and your absence in the community will be deeply felt. I wish you the best of luck and hope to read more of your stories in the future.

Chloe Mayo

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

Oh no, I hope everything works out. Even if you can't or don't return to modding, thank you for everything you've contributed to the community thus far. Like Pherim, I haven't tried out your mods yet (so many great mods to play!), but I always thought they seemed to be very well written and well thought out.

Lets hope things go smoothly, I wish you all the best with your operation. :hugs:

Katie Samuel

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 am

Man, that sounds awful. I'm sending full recovery vibes your way, for what it's worth. Just so you know, your mod is one that I've been looking forward to for a while now, and I intend to play it through, finished or not. Your work is truly appreciated.

Ricky Meehan

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:39 pm

Godspeed, Triple H.

Andrea Pratt

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Dang, dude. Your mods have always been amazing contributions to the community, and we all appreciate everything you've done for the community. We're all sending our best wishes, and hope that everything will go better than expected, even if you don't return to the community.

Thanks for everything you've done, it's been great having you here.

Hannah Barnard

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Oh no, this makes me so sad. :( Not only because your mods have been so wonderful, but also because it's terrible that you may very well have to give up modding entirely! I don't even really make things to share with the community, but even I would be heartbroken if I could no longer mod the games I love. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to give up projects that you worked so hard on.

I hope that your operation goes well and this medical situation you're in resolves itself as quickly and painlessly as possible. Even if you can't return to modding, I hope that at least you will be able to continue doing what you love in some capacity. At the very least, I would hope that someone can take up this alpha and improve it and extend it closer to your vision, and that you would be around to see and enjoy that. Maybe that sounds a bit melodramatic, but I would want that for anyone who couldn't finish their mod. And you, in particular, have made such detailed and wonderful contributions - real masterpieces.

I wish you the best of luck!

Madison Poo

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:08 am

I've always admired your work. Sorry to see you leave and the circumstances surrounding it. :(

kevin ball

Return to III - Morrowind