Ancients: The Ruby of Power (Ancients Novel 1)

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:38 am

Notes
This is a fanfiction that I will be continuing to write in the future. Ancients will be set out into three 'novels', each with several chapters, of which I will try to write one each day whenever possible, maybe more. It is an Oblivion fanfiction, set after the Mage's Guild questline, which focuses on the Guild fighting to stop the ancient Gift of the Ayleids, which grants immortality and immense magical power to the user, from being gained by the evil Necromancers whom wish to use it to dominate the Mages Guild and eventually all of Nirn under their new King, the powerful Lich Cirali. Can the new Arch-Mage, the Breton Arnandre Erelue, and his council secure the Gift before it's too late?

Ancients: The Ruby of Power
Chapter 1: The New Council

3 days after the death of Mannimarco

"Arch-Mage, our first task is to find the last three members for the council."

Of course, Arnandre knew this. Even when he had only just been allowed access to the University, he had known that the Council had been one member short of it's quota. And with the death of Irlav Jarol, the traitor Caranya, and the former Arch-Mage Hannibal Traven, only Raminus and Arnandre were left. It would be a simple task, however: Arnandre knew exactly who to pick for his new Council.

"Theres no need to worry, Raminus. I started thinking about this as soon as Traven elected me the new Arch-Mage, just before he died. And now that I am almost fully recovered from my battle, it is time to see if my choices will agree to this offer."

Arnandre paused.

"Raminus, could you please ask Bothiel and Tar-Meena to come here, to my Quarters? And could you also fetch me some blank parchment, please?" He asked.

Raminus obliged, and teleported away on the transport dias. A few minutes later, he was back with the Wood Elf Bothiel and the Argonian Tar-Meena, who was still engrossed is a book filled with complicated symbols and runecharts, although she looked up when she reached the bed. Raminus Polus deposited some crinkled, yellow parchment on Arnandre's night stand, then also stood by the Arch-Mage. All looked expectantly at Arnandre.

He cleared his throat quietly, then sat up and smiled cheerfully.

"Greetings, Bothiel and Tar-Meena." He said warmly. The Wood Elf and the Argonian nodded patiently.

"As you know" Arnandre continued, "We are running rather short on Council Members - In fact, instead of the usual five, at the moment it is just me and Raminus."

"So, I have decided to elect the both of you as new council members!" He finished.

Tar-Meena looked delighted, but Bothiel interjected.

"But I'm only a Wizard, Arch-Mage!" She said sadly.

"No, you are Master Wizard now, Bothiel. You have spent many years of studying the skies for the Guild and have great magical powers. You deserve no less. And, as I'm sure Tar-Meena knows by her reaction, meetings will be planned so that they do not intervene with your studies."

Bothiel was more than pleased.

"Who will the fifth member be?" Asked Tar-Meena curiously.

"I am writing to him now - A High Elf by the name of Ocato, who recently filled in the Emperor's spot. But since Martin has taken up the throne, I thought I might like to see if Ocato wished to spend a few more years of service to the Guild."

"Thank you for your patience - No doubt I must have interrupted your studies, and for that I apologise." Arnandre said shamefully.

"There is no apologies that need to be given. It is our duty to help the Arch-Mage, a duty which we go by gladly." said Tar-Meena loyally. And with that, the three Council Members exited through the dias.

Arnandre picked up his quill and the parchment, then began to write his letter to Chancellor Ocato.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you think? Expect a new chapter tomorrow! (English time)
Niisha

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Yeah I think this is pretty cool, I will definatly keep reading. Keep up the great work!
Sara Lee

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 pm

The title intrigued me. I will read it.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Eh! Cirali! I wondered where he had gone off to... :P
I'll definitely keep reading, if I remember :) I'm assuming this means Cirali won't be returning to the Green Dragon?
Ana

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Well, I read it now. It looks promising. You didn't go into a big blockbuster kind of beginning, promising fields of blood, which is a refreshing change. But there is something in the story that gives promises to interesting things in the future. The new Arch-Mage is doing everything he can do put things in order. You gave us a glimpse of the characters' personality. I didn't see any spelling errors so you are good there.

All in all, I look forward to reading more.
мistrєss

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:50 pm

An alternative to the mainquest where Martin stays alive? Cool.
Nymph

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:51 pm

I'm pleased with all this good feedback... I'll continue.

Chapter 2: The Successor

Whilst Arnandre Erelue arranged the new High Council in his tower, something similar was also happening. Far, far into the North, there was a small, wooden door, almost hidden by the amount of snow covering it in the raging blizzard. However, a robed figure was making his way through the blizzard to this door. The person opened it and stepped inside a large, equally cold cavern, then walked through the gloomy cave. The entire area was filled with Skeletons and Zombies, but oddly, they merely bowed at the hooded figure, some saluting with their remaining fingers, some even kneeling. At the end of the cavern there was a large, stone wall, covered almost entirely by the painting of a dead Imperial.

The figure stopped and placed two dark green, rotted hands onto the wall.

As the figure muttered an incantation, still with his hands on the wall, the painting underwent a startling transformation and the deceased man in the painting rose up, enshrouded by pink light. When he was standing upright, his pink eyes stared at the caster and exclaimed:

"You may enter, Prince of Worms!"

The stone wall rised, revealing a brightly lit passage. The figure smiled as much as it could with it's rotting teeth, knowing the Imperial would soon be saying something slightly different. The Prince entered the lair of the Necromancers, the stone wall closing shut after he went inside. And so, the cavern was once more cast into a lonely, dank gloom.

The Prince, still in his shrouded robes, walked along the corridor. Various tribal paintings could be seen along the sides - A skull surrounded by flames, a freshly dug grave with a screaming man inside, a woman cowering at a pack of ferocious Zombies.

Eventually, the passage opened out into a huge, gloomy, warm cavern. The Prince was actually standing on an enormous cliff, with an equally gigantic rift stretching away beyond, ending at the cavern's opposite wall. A small flight of stairs extended from the cliff to a small outcrop on the wall that was at a much higher altitude than the cliff, meaning anyone on it would see all around the cavern, and on this small outcrop was a magnificent, black throne. Back on the main cliff, there were many small tunnels dug around the sides and even extending upwards into balconies on the walls. In the large area between the walls on this cliff hundreds of rotted corpses and skeletons were being carried on stretchers towards white, marble tables, where Necromancers performed rituals of undeath on them to create soldiers for the Necromancers. The dead bodies were being carried from large pulleys and other equipment that extended into the rift, all of which were constantly pulling up the corpses from those dark depths.

As the Prince entered, Necromancer officials were waiting before him in two lines, creating a corridor of people to the flight of stairs. Once he passed each pair, both would kneel then scurry towards the cliff edge. Tens of Necromancers saluted and bowed to the Prince on the rocky balconies. Once the Prince reached the stairs, he began to climb them, as the officials formed a long line along the cliff edge in a permanent salute.

As soon as the Prince reached the throne, a ghostly figure moved towards him from the wall behind it. The Prince kneeled, bowing his head, then looked up.

"Mannimarco, my lord, I am ready to do what must be done." the Prince rasped.

Mannimarco did not speak. Instead, he waved a ghostly hand, and a staff appeared, the head of which was a skull held in three skeletal hands. The Prince took the stave, and Mannimarco melted away into nothing, his spirit having finally passed on.

The Prince turned around, his robes having changed to the attire of the King of Worms, and threw back his hood, revealing dank green rotted flesh, lifeless grey eyes, and wonky teeth encrusted with grime. The Lich sat himself down on the throne, and raised the Staff of Worms into the air.

The Necromancers in the cave yelled,

"ALL HAIL CIRALI, KING OF WORMS!"

The entire cavern cheered, as the creature that was once elven smiled in his unholy glory.
Haley Cooper

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

"ALL HAIL CIRALI, KING OF WORMS!"

nice i like how you meshed this RP with the drunken dragon inn (im the orc in the screaming face armor)
Dark Mogul

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Very good description of the scenery. Perhaps your sentences are a bit long; a person might forget what he read at the beginning.

I like it that the coronation act was so simple. No fancy rituals, just passing on the staff.

You're doing well so far.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Sorry for the delay, I had a busy Friday. Here's chapter 3!

Chapter 3: Discovery

"It's this way, Okan-Ru. It seems that Vilverin DOES have something strange inside it... but what, we don't know yet..."

Okan-Ru listened to the young Imperial's babbles without interest. This particular human was talkative and often blathered on about useless things that everybody knew already. From what he had picked up from the young Apprentice, a strange structure had been found deep inside the ruin and that was interesting, so he followed the human and ignored his now completely off-subject talk.

Okan-Ru was an Argonian and a Warlock of the Mages Guild. He been put in charge of the excavation of Vilverin a short time ago, ever since the Guild had detected a strong and very noticable signal emenating from it and sent a team to investigate. Okan-Ru had been a star student in the subject of Ayleid history and knew a great deal about their tricks and architecture, so naturally he was made the leader of the operation.

Eventually the two approached the Ayleid structure. It wasn't really a structue at all, rather an odd, decorated grate in the ceiling above a similarly decorated floor. At the end of the room was a stone tablet, and there were also three upside down triangle-shaped grooves just above it, arranged in an upside-down triangle shape.

Okan-Ru ran his hand over the tablet slowly, before turning back to the Imperial.

"I need an Ayleid translation book. Now."

The Apprentice scrambled away and Okan-Ru turned back to the mysterious writings.

Because of the way the upside down triangle grooves above were arranged into one upside down shape, there was a normal triangle between the three. Okan-Ru pressed it, to find it was some sort of switch.

The tablet's writing lit up blue, and a voice called out from it.

"This chamber of our home,
Holds more than you can see,
Within is the Gift of the Ayleids,
Immortality and power.

The power rests in three shards,
Scattered within our land,
Retrieve the three and bring them back,
To unlock the sacred Gift.

One shard is the Ruby of Power,
A sign of courage and strength,
It makes it's home near lands of sand,
Great dunes stretching for miles.

One shard is the Sapphire of Wisdom,
A star of intelligence and will,
It makes it's home near mild lands,
Where great reptiles roam the plains.

One shard is the Emerald of Shadows,
A stone of death and night,
It makes it's home in deep seas,
Where darkness reigns eternal.

Bring the shards together here,
To humble Vilverin,
And great power will be forever yours,
and soon the world as well."

The voice finally lapsed away, casting the ruin in darkness as the blue writing faded away.
Stephy Beck

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

I got to say I'm really enjoying the story so far and I can't think of a single flaw. Keep up the great work!
LittleMiss

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:35 am

Today's Sunday, and a new day means a new chapter. I hope you're enjoying the story so far!

Chapter 4: Report

Raminus Polus was sitting in the Lobby, doing his usual job of directing visitors around the site and welcoming them. He was certainley surprised, though, when he saw a fellow Imperial (whom he himself had sent to Vilverin) come bursting through the main doors, panting for breath.

"What's wrong?" He asked the Apprentice quickly.

"It's Vilverin, sir! The signal's source has been found! Okan-Ru just sent me to show you these..."

The young Imperial held out a small notebook. Raminus Polus flipped it open to find it was a 'journal' of sorts, containing Okan-Ru's log of the events and findings at the ruin. The latest page held a drawing of the upside down triangle inlets above the tablet, a sketch of the tablet, and also a written down version of what the Ayleid voice spoke whenever the button was pressed, as well as a small summary.

"This is a great finding, young Apprentice! But also a dangerous one... no doubt the Necromancers would want this power for themselves. Tell Okan-Ru that Vilverin is being fortified, and we are sending Battlemages down at once."

The Imperial nodded and ran out of door, having barely had any time to catch his breath. Raminus Polus walked out into the main yard, heading in the direction of the Guard Tower.

One day later

Arnandre made sure that his robe was smoothed out and smart looking, before walking calmly into the transport dias. As soon as he arrived into the Council Chamber, Ocato, Tar-Meena, Bothiel, and Raminus Polus stood up from their seats. Arnandre smiled at their unwavering loyalty.

"Please, be seated." he stated quietly.

Arnandre and the rest of the council sat on their stools, and the meeting began.

"Raminus" Arnandre said, "Could you please give us the rundown of these findings?"

"Certainley, Arch-Mage."

Raminus stood up quickly. A large amount of magical images emerged from the middle of the table, and a magical 'holographic' copy of the Ayleid voice's words appeared before each council member.

"Firstly, our translators have verified that the words on the stone tablet are indeed the exact same as those the Ayleid voice spoke." began Raminus. "If you could please take a minute to read the poem, you will notice that it's prime mentionings are that of the 'Gift of the Ayleids'. According to the writings, this gift grants immortality and some sort of power, although since the final paragraph mentions that 'the world will be yours' due to this power, we can only imagine it is very, very powerful."

"The power is seemingly initiated by placing three, shard-shaped gems into the slots above the tablet. However, these gemstones are scattered, and the poem gives clues as to the locations. From what we have gathered, each of the gems are in Cyrodiil, but very close to the borders of other provinces, except for the Emerald of Shadows, which is in some deep ocean in close proximity."

"We need to find out where these shards are, and secure them, before the Necromancers discover the gift and begin hunting them, if they haven't already."

Raminus sat down quietly.

"Thank you, Raminus." Arnandre said kindly. "Do we have any ideas as to where the Gems may be?"

Ocato spoke up.

"Surely 'Lands of sand' would refer to Hammerfell?"

"It's likely" said Arnandre. "Hammerfell would be our first lead. What of the other two?"

"Mild lands, with great reptiles, could refer to a number of places." said Tar-Meena. "Elsweyr or Valenwood perhaps. Morrowind is very plausible. Maybe even Black Marsh could have been considered 'mild' in their time."

"And the Emerald of Shadows must be either south of Leyawiin or west of Anvil." Arnandre finished. "This means that our first priority is the Ruby of Power, as Hammerfell would be the obvious place for it."

"I'll arrange a team of Battlemages and I'll go over at once!" said Ocato.

Arnandre nodded. "These shards are by far the largest priority we have. We must find them, and secure them, in whatever way possible. We must not let those ghastly Necromancers come into possession of all three. We know our objectives. This meeting is now closed."
Danielle Brown

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:30 am

The poem was a nice touch.

I find it rather strange that an Apprentice was addressing a Warlock by his first name. Not very respectful.

An Ayleid voice speaking up in common Cyrodiilic? Maybe it would be better if you say that Okan-Ru knows the ancient Ayleid language. Perhaps he is a scholar of Ayleid antiquities.

Your story flows smoothly. The fact that you're making this up instead of relying on the TES lore makes it even better.

Keep up the good work.
Andrew

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:50 am

The three Gems (Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire) remind me a lot of Zelda with those three stones needed to "unlock greater power".

Good story. A little short, but still very enjoyable.
Laura Tempel

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks, guys. As for the Zelda thing, I did kinda base a lot of it off that. I like my RPGs! :hubbahubba:

Sadly, it's a Monday ( :snoring: ) but I'll cheer y'all up with Chapter 5. Enjoy!

Chapter 5: The search for the Ruby

"Okay, we're on the border. Patrol it carefully, and report back to us if you find any strange activity, including Necromancers. We're counting on you. Move out!"

The squadron of Battlemages pulled on their reigns, and the horses set off at full gallop to their designated patrol areas. Arnandre, Ocato, and Tar-Meena watched them leave, before turning and walking back to the small camp that they had set up.

After the meeting, Ocato had arranged his prized Battlemages to set off towards the Hammerfell. Arnandre had come too, bringing Tar-Meena as he believed her knowledge would come in useful. Bothiel and Raminus had been left behind to keep the University working as normal.

"Don't worry." Ocato reassured his two colleagues, "These are my most honourable and successful. They will find your Ruby, Arch-Mage - There is no doubt about that. Unless it isn't here, of course."

Tar-Meena nodded. "If they do, we must be very cautious. The Ayleids are infamous for their traps and trickery. I would not be surprised if they devoted their full skills into the defence of these shards."

"I also came up with an interesting theory." she continued. "This power must come from somewhere. The gems must be enchanted with different powers, and when held or kept onto oneself, grant the holder that power for as long as they are held. If all three are obtained, then they would be mixed together at that shrine, forming something even more powerful - hence, The Gift. I would also imagine that the power would be contained in another stone that works the same way."

Arnandre considered.

"That is interesting... and very likely. In fact, I find it difficult to imagine it working in a different way... Ah, we're here."

The campsite was not very spectacular. The Battlemages were kept in three tents, two to each one, arranged in a row. Arnandre, Ocato and Tar-Meena's private tents were opposite them, in a similar row. In the middle of the two rows was a large fire, several benches, various supplies, and also a flag with the Mages Guild symbol shown upon it. This was very practical - Most bandits knew not to mess with users of magic, and since the Guild was heavily aligned with the Imperial City, even offering it's battlemages up to be in the same category as City Guards, It would be the equivalent of attacking a town. A magical town.

Tar-Meena entered her tent to do some studying on Ayleids, whilst Arnandre and Ocato both sat down on the benches.

Arnandre produced a small bag from his Robe pockets.

"Fancy a Sweetroll?" he asked, proffering the bag to Ocato, who merely gazed at Arnandre incredulously. "Oh, come on." Arnandre continued, reading Ocato's expression. "There's always time for a snack, and I expect we'll have a while to wait."

"I suppose. But I'll pass, thank you."

Arnandre withdrew the creamy-brown bag and delved his hands inside. He produced what looked like a large, black muffin, then bit into it slowly, relishing the taste.

Arnandre finished the Sweetroll, and then stood up, bade Ocato farewell, and retired to his tent to do some studying of his own. Ocato, figuring that everybody was just researching rather than training, decided to do some combat excercises. Just as he was about to begin, a Battlemage came running down the hill.

"WE'VE FOUND SOMETHING!" he shouted.

Arnandre stepped outside smartly, whilst Tar-Meena, who was still holding a book and a handful of stones, walked out slowly, grumbling about being disturbed. But what the Breton soldier had to say interested her.

"We've found some kind of door in the hill, hidden well away. It looks Ayleid, and it isn't a charted ruin."

Arnandre looked at Ocato and Tar-Meena.

"What are you waiting for? We'd best take a look!"
Stephanie I

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Very nice post ;). I can't wait for the next one. Damn you got me excited!
Amanda savory

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:13 pm

I declare this thread un-dead! If you want to finish, as I hope you will, sincerely^^. You can't go around proclaiming you'll write two more threads of such a good story and not do it, whats wrong with you ;P. Keep going, we must read more. You left us hanging ><
Heather Kush

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Oh, all right then! :P

Chapter 6: The City of Fire

The ancient stone door groaned as it was opened with magical telikineses. Arnandre cast a Night-Eye spell over the group, cast a Detect Life spell over the group, and then entered quietly. Tar-Meena, Ocato, and four Battlemages followed - The last two were guarding the entrance.

The ruin was quite unlike any that the Guild had previously seen, or indeed anybody else. One reason was the various carvings of flames on the ceiling, walls and floor - The other was the peculiar lack of life. "But that's natural" Arnandre reasurred the explorers, "The door could only be opened by extremely powerful magicka."

Eventually the Guildmates came to a stone wall.

"It's a dead end." said Ocato. "Now what?"

"No..." Arnandre whispered. "It isn't... it's merely a test. A test... of strength."

"AH! That makes perfect sense. It's the Ruby of Power - So the Ayleids only want those who are worthy enough to obtain it." Tar-Meena spoke up.

"Correct." said Arnandre. "But not neccessarily strength physically - Also, Magically."

Arnandre turned to face Chancellor Ocato.

"No doubt, Ocato, your Destruction expertise will help us knock down this test."

Ocato nodded. "I will need a few moments. Step back a little."

Once all of the Guildmates were sufficiently out of range, Ocato began working on a fireball. it grew, and grew, and grew, until it was the size of Ocato's arm. Then, with all his power, he flung it at the wall.

As the fire came closer to the wall, it slowed - and passed straight through it.

The wall began pulsing in blue light, before it crumbled to pieces. After the dust had cleared, a great corridor could be seen extending before them.

"Brilliant!" said Tar-Meena. "The Ruby must be..."

But she trailed off, for the walls around them had started to shudder. The wall nearest to them broke first, revealing a shadowy inlet behind. And out of those shadows extended a long, skeletal arm.
kennedy

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Chapter 5: The search for the Ruby

"...to set off towards the Hammerfell."

'the' is not neccessary, I think. Other than that it was a very good chapter. Perhaps the battlemages found the door a little too quickly. Maybe you could add a few words on how a few hours had passed before one of them came running.
Albert Wesker

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Chapter 6: The City of Fire

"Arnandre cast a Night-Eye spell over the group, cast a Detect Life spell over the group, and then entered quietly."
Maybe it needs a bit of rewriting. The two identical sentences sound a bit strange.

This chapter sounds very improvised. Similar to a Stargate episode or something similar.

Your writing is still good but your story seems to be falling behind. I hope you don't intend to quit.
Jose ordaz

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for the support, everyone. Yeah, the fanfiction was beginning to collect dust, but I'm going to get it into action again - I did start another fanfiction, but I'm discontinuing it so this one will get the fullest attention. Don't worry - The fanfic was only one chapter in, so it can be a little teaser for another later on :D

Chapter 7: The Shrine of Power

Still pushing through, the skeleton's hand groped around blindly, searching for those who had disturbed it's peace. Before the Mages' very eyes, what seemed to be Skeleton Champions in ancient Ayleid armor were running towards them, screaming with unearthly sound. The farthest Battlemage was cut down before he even had a chance to withdraw his sword.

Ocato, Tar-Meena, Arnandre and the three Battlemages cast all sorts of spells at the Ayleid Skeletons, but they were either blocked or downright absorbed by the restless undead. The Battlemages, discarding spells, ran at the oncoming skeletons with their swords out, but it was hopeless.

"Those bones are like steel!" they said, running back. "We can't make a scratch!"

As the horde closed around them, it became obvious that the only possible escape route was through the corridor that they had opened up. So through they ran.

"The Ruby!" Tar-Meena exclaimed. "We need the Ruby!"

"Why?" Ocato blinked. "I think we have a bit of a larger problem right now!?"

"Tar-Meena is right." Arnandre interjected, speaking with infinite calm. "If we can get the Ruby, we shall be given extraodinary power - Perhaps enough to defeat these skeletal remains."

A loud yell interrupted them - One of the Battlemages, who were trailing behind slightly due to their heavy armor, had been swallowed up by the Champion army.

"Keep going!" Ocato yelled, as the corridor opened up into a huge chamber filled with sand. In the center was a large altar, like a larger version of those found in Cyrodiilic churches. On the top of the dias was a small, flat, triangular ruby.

Ocato, who was first there, grabbed the ruby in his hands.

"NOW WHAT!?" He shouted - The Champions were getting closer by the second, and there was only one Battlemage left.

"Cast a fireball!" Tar-Meena said exasperatedly.

Ocato obliged, and with all his might, he conjured up a fireball. It started small, but it grew, and grew, until it was even larger than Ocato's previous fireball. The fireball, now as large as Ocato himself, flung itself into the centre of the skeletal horde. The impact not only destroyed the skeletons there, but sent a huge shockwave outwards, completely decimating the undead. Bones were sent flying everywhere, and the party had to duck so that they would not be injured.

Eventually, silence fell. Arnandre, Ocato, and Tar-Meena, left standing in the sandy room full of bones, might almost not have noticed the Battlemage speaking up behind them.

"Very good... now, hand over that ruby, if you please."
Lyd

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Wow that was a really good chapter, keep it up :D.
Greg Swan

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:30 am

Thanks, you're welcome!

Heres chapter 8 to satiate any hungry appetites for writing.

Chapter 8: Infiltrator

"Didn't you hear? Hand over that ruby! If you fail to oblige, then I shall have to turn you all into something... that will."

The Battlemage snickered a little at this.

Ocato turned to face him.

"You betrayer! You scum! How DARE a Necromancer pose as one of my men!"

The Necromancer chose to ignore this.

"You lot really arn't that clever, are you? Couldn't you see that you brought in five Battlemages, and you came to this place with six? I'll never be a Battlemage - they never get any attention at all..."

The Necromancer laughed.

"And surely a heavy Battlemage couldn't outrun those Skeletons? I think it was quite obvious that I diverted them to everybody else but me."

"And we're back to the beginning. Hand it over, or suffer the consequences."

The Necromancer grinned evilly at them. Ocato looked at him solemnly, then sighed.

"It seems to be the only thing to do." He said.

The Necromancer's grin widened.

"Clever Elf. Where -"

But the infiltrator didn't finish, for Ocato had used the Ruby to pummel a huge bolt of electricity through the body of the Necromancer. He dropped to the ground, stone dead. Ocato then turned to his colleagues.

"Lets get out of this place." he said quietly.

Arnandre, Tar-Meena, and Ocato walked out of the empty room, ruby in hand. Eventually, they made their way all the way back to the entrance, where they met up with the last two Battlemages, and rode out back to the Imperial City.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in the Skyrim - bound cave to the northeast, every Necromancer was shivering with pride, even with the news of the infiltrator's failure. Cirali didn't care, for he had something else that let the path to true immortality begin to open up to him.

Seated on his black, coal-coloured throne, Cirali watched the leader of a Necromancer expedition team walk up to his outcrop, holding a black cushion with red trimmings.

"What news do you bring?" Cirali said softly, though it was audible throughout the entire chamber.

"I bring not news. I bring... results." the underling announced, proffering forward the decorative cushion. Cirali reached forward and picked up the item it carried.

"My Lord... I feel that we are on the path to extreme power." the Necromancer said.

"Yes... I believe we are..." Cirali said calmly, turning the item in his hands - A curious looking, triangle-shaped sapphire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Two more chapters and I will begin the second novel. I hope you're all enjoying reading this series as I am enjoying writing it!
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:38 am

I sure am enjoying it :D!
His Bella

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion