Any Mass Effect players left?

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:18 am

I'm not going to post any spoilers as I am only half way done with the second game, but man am I blown away by this series. I could not personally get into Dragon Age Inquisition for Xbox One because the combat just turned me off big time. This kept me waiting even longer but I finally broke down and got the trilogy for the 360 and playing these games for the first time back to back is some of the most fun I've ever had playing video games.

The story and graphics are just great, but transferring over the decisions to part two was so much better than I imagined. I actually care about the characters. The jump from one to two was quite a big one, but I am satisfied with it as it changes things up and I heard three has a nice mix of the first two. I am excited to find out what this controversial ending is to the series. I haven't played Fallout 4 and was mad about the convo wheel and voice acting, but after playing this game I believe I can at least get one epic run out of the game. If there is anyone left who hasn't played Mass Effect, play it, it has to be one of the greatest series ever in my book and I can't wait for the open-world Andromeda!
lolli

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:57 am

I liked fhe first one a lot, but the second bored me. Never played the third.
Krystal Wilson

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 am

I was a little disappointed by the removal of inventory, but the story and interactions still have me hooked. I play it on hardcoe because I heard insanity is more tedious than anything, but in part two the firefights are so intense. I never thought I would like the series, but it may be the only time I had the feeling I was playing *my* game...like a "choose your own adventure" book.
Margarita Diaz

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:31 pm

I bought the first two on a Steam sale awhile back. I made it through the tutorial of the first game but that's it. The dialogue wheel and its paraphrased choices aggravated me so much I had to quit. But I will give them a try again someday. I adored Jennifer Hale's voice work.

Jaki Birch

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 am

When I was waiting for Amazon to deliver I thought I would read a bit about the first one and everybody said that the first part of the game is slow and to just push on through, they were right and I did. If you give it a go again just stick with it through the first 4-5 hours then you get free reign. Also, I understand what you mean about the dialog wheel, but it is made black and white when a big decision is to be made and there are some really big ones. I also like how there is good dialog choices and evil dialog choices that are not just words, but can go as far as shooting someone on the spot.
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't think I've ever been so emotionally attached to characters in a video game until the Mass Effect trilogy. Definitely a series I cherish, to the point my username is named after one of my favorite Mass Effect characters.

However, I cannot say I look forward to Andromeda. As much as I loved the Mass Effect games, I saw how less and less they had become RPGs as the games progressed and had more so become a cover-based third person shooter. A fun TPS at that, but even still. I'm skeptical as to where Bioware will go about Andromeda and how much of it will possess what made the original games so good. Not only in being a RPG, but also the fact this is a whole new galaxy its taking place in. Whole new setting.

Quite honestly, I thought it should have just ended after ME3.

Katharine Newton

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am

I bought the first two on a Steam sale a few years ago. I never made it past the Citadel. I do want to give the series another chance, but I am waiting for it to go sale in Origin. So I can buy all three and also buy the dlc.

Francesca

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am

That's funny, I always thought your username was because of the FO:NV Legion. lol. I've yet to recruit Legion in ME2 so far.
CArlos BArrera

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:12 am

The Citadel part is the slow part I was referring to. Once you get past that part the game opens up big time.
sally coker

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:06 pm

I enjoy the series! Like the RPG element of the first one but found the characters somewhat bland and Liara annoying. The second one is middle ground for me, I played through it more than I have the first one but it's lacking. I have played the 3rd one through more than the other two but I need to mod the hell out of that ending to find it enjoyable.

Max Van Morrison

Post » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 pm

I like the series. Interested in seeing what Andromeda is all about.
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:40 am

I loved the overall atmosphere of the first Mass Effect and consider it to really be something special. ME2 was streamlined for both good and bad: the bad was stuff like pruning down of the Presidium which I'd previously enjoyed exploring, the good was "inventory hell" when on the Normandy (that's not to say some form of inventory control wouldn't have been nice, just not that one). I think I preferred the slightly more contemplative and mysterious nature of the first compared to the more action-oriented nature of the second, though the second had Zaeed and his ludicrous anecdotes so there is that. :laugh:

The third... well it had its moments, but it hardly finished the series on a high point, with what I could consider to be some of the worst fiction writing I've ever experienced. That pretty much killed my interest in the whole series: not that huge tidal wave of anger which gripped the games forums and news at the time, just a real case of :sadvaultboy:

I think I'm finally over the disappointment now that enough time has passed that I can write it off as being an irrelevant wrong turn that I no longer regard as "canon", so I can see myself enjoying the first two games again and tentatively looking forward to Andromeda: I feel slightly burnt by that period of Bioware, but it seems they did learn lessons when they did Inquisition, and the writers who were the main culprits behind ME3 have gone, thankfully.

naomi

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:08 am

I liked all three.

I feel the ending to the last game was blown way out of proportion by the community. If you were mad about it, you really weren't paying attention throughout the series. They literally wrote themselves into a corner. If you were mad enough about it to participate in that...travesty of a protest, you need to review your priorities as a human being.
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Mass Effect is almost a perfect trilogy of modern gaming.

I say almost, because I feel that 2 is better than 3 in many regards. But all three are great games.

Once you learn how it works, it becomes more enjoyable. Since you are the captain, the game wants you to decide on how you relate to your crew.

You can be a jerk, you can be a hero, or you can ignore it.

It can be seen as a roleplaying mechanic just for fun, but it also can have a huge impact on future options, because your choices usually do have consequences. It might look dry on the surface, but it's very easy to get invested in the situations/characters once you know them.

And it's still ten times more in depth than Fallout 4 dialog :P

And 100 times better than Witcher or Dragon Age.

Leonie Connor

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:23 am

Never thought it was anything special. First game had a cool universe and all, but the gameplay was pretty middling and shallow. The shooter and RPG aspects were both weak, and they didn't really compliment each other, and the design for the levels and combat encounters were pretty uninspired. ME2 improved things significantly on that front, with better missions and shooter mechanics, so it was actually fun, but the story took a nosedive from which the series would never recover from within the first ten minutes. It was inevitable from that travesty on that the ending was going to be a disaster. Didn't help that the whole plot was meaningless and did nothing to move the greater story forward. Stylistically, it was also worse, as it seemed like it was trying too hard to be edgy and sacrificed much of the original game's militant style in exchange for fanservice and six appeal. Third game...never played it. It required Origin to play on PC, which I didn't want, and I just wasn't in love with the series enough to deal with the hassle. Didn't miss anything, for the story was still terrible and the ending was, as I predicted it would be, a disaster.

Overall, Mass Effect has left a legacy that I really don't like. I hate voiced protagonists in RPGs, I hate dialogue wheels, and I hate save imports. I think the developers made a mistake in that they made the main antagonists giant sentient spaceships, yet designed the games to be on-foot cover shooters, which meant that you would never fight the Reapers meaningfully and had to deal with their middlemen for all three games. I don't give a [censored] about Andromeda, and I think it's stupid as hell that they're moving outside the Milky Way. Galaxies are huge places; you can tell tons of stories in one, and create all sorts of new worlds without abandoning what was already built.

Rhi Edwards

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:33 am

I at least felt the extended cut fixed its issues for the most part. It gave me enough closure to be satisfied with how they concluded it. Still, I thought ME3's last DLC, Citadel, made for a nice last hurrah for all of the characters. As cheesy as it was.

Chris Guerin

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:33 am

I think the most complaints about the ME3 ending were because it was confusing and the choices you made along the journey had absolutely zero meaning. The latter part in particular was a big deal. Fortunately the extended cut fixed most of the issues, it's not perfect but decent enough.

The Citadel DLC is absolutely one of the best DLCs ever. Sure, it's cheesy as hell but that's the whole point.

Sammygirl500

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:11 am

The first one was the best as it embraced that sense of exploring the galaxy, meeting new people and races and being part of a greater galactic society. People and races had enough unique character and charm to feel decidly different and the atmosphere/tone of the game was genuinely immersive. It's only when everything becomes about the "impending doom" that any really diversity and flavour starts to die. Speaking of which...

ME2 was stripped down in many regards and "streamlined" for endless corridor gunfights (I totally loved the Kasumi mission). It did have Omega though, and that place was great. Also, it has several of my favourite ME characters in it. For the record, no, I do not like Mordin, and well... I didn't care (No spoilers).

ME3 is a bit better with the RPG and customisation stuff, but still manages to fall short. It's pretty linear, the dialogue appears a bit underdeveloped in places, and the ending was a bit lacking (though I enjoyed the choice I made). What more, you HAVE to play the Multiplayer! I mean, the MP isn't that bad tbh, but you have to play it if you want the best ending. Unfortunately, the Multiplayer is confirmed as returning for Andromeda too, so, that doesn't instill me with hope.

Overall, it's an incredible series that sets the bar high, but doesn't ever really fulfill that Star Trek captain roleplay after about halfway through ME1.

I am immensely skeptical of Andromeda and I'll probably not be preordering it, as no-one knows what to really expect yet.

Cagla Cali

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:38 am

I enjoyed ME1 a lot, such a great game, and played thru the game 3-4 times in a row back when it was new and trying different things. I enjoyed ME2 less and only played thru it once. And ME3 even less than that. Infact, the ME3 ending was such a massive disappointment for me I'm not sure I will ever give any future ME games any chance.
Daniel Lozano

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 am

The best ending is turning off the game after you walk into the beam and imagining what happened later. The second best ending is

Spoiler
dying instantly instead of slowly bleeding to death under thousands of tons of rubble where no one will ever find you.

Regardless, what you said is no longer true. The Extended Cut brought the required EMS down to 3100, which is achievable in the base game and made even easier with DLC (of which you definitely want to play at least From Ashes and Leviathan, because they're very important to the main plot).
Liv Staff

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:25 pm

What one considers as the best ending is debatable but the extended cut lowers the highest required EMS rating from 4000 to 3100. Thus playing multiplayer is NOT required anymore.

Stacey Mason

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:19 pm

I enjoyed the series, at least the base games. Bought the first two on Steam and enjoyed them, but boycotted the third because they didn't put it on Steam (which was crappy after having the first two there). Finally got it on Origin when it was under ten bucks, but then somebody in Switzerland apparently hacked my account and bought a bunch of games on my credit card (putting them on my Origin account for some reason) forcing me to cancel that card and get a new one. Will probably not be playing Andromeda as it's likely to be an Origin exclusive (I only buy digital, and I'm never giving Origin my credit card info again).

Now my Origin account consists of one bought game and several 'on the house' offerings.

Shiarra Curtis

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:42 pm

If haven't yet enabled the two-stage authentication in Origin, do it now! It really helps protecting your Origin-account.

Amie Mccubbing

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:58 am

I found the extended cut did more to hurt the ending and proffered the original. To me it is like what Broken Steel did to Fallout 3 with the ending maybe not as bad as what Broken Steel did but at least with Broken Steel you got a DLC with more story content and 10 extra character levels.

KU Fint

Return to Othor Games