Any way to force Windows Update to retry a failed update?

Post » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:08 am

Any way to force Windows Update to try download/install a failed update?
Princess Johnson

Post » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

When you open Windows Update it should ask yout o check again and should list the failed update again for you to redownload.
Amy Cooper

Post » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Yup. Typically failed updates will still show up on the main Windows Update screen as being available for download/installation. You can select it again like you would any normal update. Windows may even try to automatically reapply it for you, depending on the update.

Before you do that, though, it might be worthwhile to check into why the update failed (assuming you haven't done so already) so you don't get stuck in an endless cycle of retry/fail.
Sherry Speakman

Post » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

You can find Windows Update in Control Panel.

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago with a perpetual round of 15 minute 'configuring updates' every time I booted up, and 'installing updates' every time I powered down, but re-downloading them cured it (until it happened again this week!).

Not sure why it can't sort itself out without you having to go into control panel...
Ryan Lutz

Post » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:57 pm

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lUXXEQ0TG_0/TR1E1QsmKpI/AAAAAAAACvM/b1RVXHShxUc/s800/firefox_windows.jpg :tongue:

I don't think so. I'm not sure you can force any computer to do anything. Unless you are the one who made it and know it inside and out.
Arrogant SId

Post » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:31 am

Not sure why it can't sort itself out without you having to go into control panel...

Because if Windows could sort itself out, we'd have Skynet. At least for ten or fifteen minutes before it bluescreened, anyway. :P

I had some trouble with Windows Update last week too, by the way, as did a lot of other people. Apparently a certain update would always fail to apply unless two other updates (also sitting in the queue that same day) were installed first.

Guess which update Windows always tried to install first. No, go on, guess. :facepalm: Manually reordering the updates' install order is what fixed that for me.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lUXXEQ0TG_0/TR1E1QsmKpI/AAAAAAAACvM/b1RVXHShxUc/s800/firefox_windows.jpg :tongue:

:rofl:

I don't think so. I'm not sure you can force any computer to do anything. Unless you are the one who made it and know it inside and out.

Or if you know what you're doing, period. You should be the one in charge of the computer, and not the other way around. Otherwise, see: Skynet. Again. ;)
Justin Bywater

Return to Othor Games