Anyone else not even get through the tutorial?

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:06 am

So, I've spent a good 3 hours trying to find the broc flower, and I think I'm done with this. Is the rest of the game quite difficult to find required items like this? If that's the case I might just spare myself the trouble.

Opinions?

(I should add that I'm not new to this gaming thing, I've got a good decade + under my belt ;) )
Gisela Amaya

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm

So, I've spent a good 3 hours trying to find the broc flower, and I think I'm done with this. Is the rest of the game quite difficult to find required items like this? If that's the case I might just spare myself the trouble.

Opinions?

(I should add that I'm not new to this gaming thing, I've got a good decade + under my belt ;) )

Just reload a save, this quest is optional, and only gives you a really useless item, and like 5XP.
Verity Hurding

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:58 am

Follow the arrow to the grave yard its not that hard. Its a tall green plant with flowers. They are also all over the hills along the road to primm from good springs.
Jessica Thomson

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Opinions?

.....theres a quest marker pointing right to it just follow that :facepalm:
Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Link to what they look like => http://www.project610.com/files/733px-BrocFlower.png
Samantha Pattison

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:47 am

.....theres a quest marker pointing right to it just follow that :facepalm:

The purpose of the tutorial is to get you used to using your HUD. The flower is the easy one. The other item was so difficult and fidgety to find they actually fixed it in the latest patch.

All you have to do is open your map and the dots and arrow icon will pin-point it for you. Once you get in the vicinity, use the local map to get near it and then scan using your cross-hairs.
Rex Help

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:27 pm

A better option would be to just skip that tutorial (which is pretty worthless) and continue onward

Don't give up on a great game just because you cant find a flower. If you do you'll be missing out on a fascinating storyline and other great stuff.
Lyd

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:02 am

To give you a bit of a backstory, the harvesting of ingredients was used in TES (starting w/ morrowind I believe) but the engine is the Gamebryo engine which is core of FNV (as well as FO3, though harvesting wasn't used for that one). When you come upon a plant that can be harvested, such as the broc flower, you will not only notice that the plant is more colorful than surrounding plants but you can hover your crosshairs (if you use them) over the plant and get a label to pop up identifying the plant. When you get the label to come up, use your activation key to "harvest" the plant. The ingredient will appear in your inventory under the AID tab (where you find food, water, stimpaks, etc). After you get the broc flower to load into your inventory, return to Sunny Smiles and she'll explain the rest.

I hope this helps.
Johnny

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:45 am

A better option would be to just skip that tutorial (which is pretty worthless) and continue onward

Don't give up on a great game just because you cant find a flower. If you do you'll be missing out on a fascinating storyline and other great stuff.

He will miss out anyway if you cant follow the arrow on your compass...
Astargoth Rockin' Design

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:30 am

You know, for some reason this post made me think you're a jerk.

The purpose of the tutorial, is to TRAIN you to get used to USING your HUD.

Okay? okay.
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:10 am

and by SKIPPING it he WONT know how to use it.
Verity Hurding

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Opinions?

It's a piece of cake. Follow the marker, it will take you right to the plants. One is in the cemetary and one is right in front of the school house.

Yeah, I'd disagree with this. For those that are new to the Bethesda owned Fallout, it's good to go through to get your feet under you. AND you get a varmint rifle from Sunny which is not a small deal when you're in the poverty that is level 1.
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Disagree. If you've never played these games a tutorial is useful and this is better than most (you could actually get killed.)

Agree

To give you a bit of a backstory, the harvesting of ingredients was used in TES (starting w/ morrowind I believe) but the engine is the Gamebryo engine which is core of FNV (as well as FO3, though harvesting wasn't used for that one). When you come upon a plant that can be harvested, such as the broc flower, you will not only notice that the plant is more colorful than surrounding plants but you can hover your crosshairs (if you use them) over the plant and get a label to pop up identifying the plant. When you get the label to come up, use your activation key to "harvest" the plant. The ingredient will appear in your inventory under the AID tab (where you find food, water, stimpaks, etc). After you get the broc flower to load into your inventory, return to Sunny Smiles and she'll explain the rest.

And unlike OB, Harvesting in FONV is always successful
:celebration:

Okay? okay.

I think you mis-read him. He was reinforcing just that point. Name calling isn't nice :nono:

and by SKIPPING it he WONT know how to use it.

m Gardner

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Opinions?

Don't give up. Your compass is your friend and I just started a third game myself. I still do the complete Tutorial. It's important to do things so that your reputation in each area will increase whether it's a town or a faction. I just had a rather epic battle with the Geckos near Goodspring as I made my way to Primm. It felt epic because I kept dying. I didn't have the powerful weapons that come later in the game so they were tough again and I was alone. Too fun! Good luck. :)
Big Homie

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm

New Vegas is my first Fallout and I was pretty lost at first too, despite all my years of gaming. I think I spent at least 10-15 minutes searching for both the flower and the other item for that tutorial quest. :) You get used to things fairly quickly and soon it'll be second nature, so don't give up.

The Pipboy map compass markers can still confuse me in multi-level buildings...they tell you what direction to go in, but not what floor! lol
Dan Scott

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:14 am

The gathering of these ingredients comes from a service way back in F2 to give them to Hakunin, the arroyo shaman, so he can make the healing powder for you whenever you had some on you.
Marcus Jordan

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:39 am

Okay? okay.

And ? I dont give a damn what you think I am, but you really wont get far in a game if you cant even beat the tutorial with the big green arrow showing you where to go. If you cant folow an arrow then you wont progress very far.
Nienna garcia

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:56 am

Damn and I thought Bethesda had Obsidian streamline too much. Guess this means we'll never be able to turn off the quest compass, hell I doubt there will be dialog in skyrim, just the compass :cryvaultboy:
lacy lake

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:39 pm

The Pipboy map compass markers can still confuse me in multi-level buildings...they tell you what direction to go in, but not what floor! lol

Oh, for God's sake, don't rely on map-markers alone to get you through a multi-level building. It's a good way to drive yourself crazy. One of my big hopes for TES V is that devs find a way to make interior area maps not useless.
kristy dunn

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:21 am

And ? I dont give a damn what you think I am, but you really wont get far in a game if you cant even beat the tutorial with the big green arrow showing you where to go. If you cant folow an arrow then you wont progress very far.

I misread your post.
Michael Russ

Return to Fallout: New Vegas