Anyone else worried for a console port?

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:08 am

While the trailers so far look good for console standards, the new tigher/more confined environments suggests crytek have made maximum sacrifices (get it?) in level design.
If you look at the resources crysis 1 uses in dense jungle areas and the large open areas (easily goes upto 2 Gb's of ram in the more spectacular scenes) and even a modern pc barely being able to handle it at a 1080 p resolution with AA off , it's clear that such scenes can not be rendered at a decent framerate on consoles which only have 512 MB (ram vram combined) of memory.
Assuming the pc and console verisons will have identical levels (in design) , I'm very worried that the pc version will suffer from the limited level size/design options.

I also really hope that crytek will remember it's roots and offer the same modding tools and abilities that kept the first game alive for so long.
Please crytek, don't make the same mistake as infinity ward , in not adding support for dedicated servers.

I'm still looking forward to the pc footage of crysis 2 which will hopefully blow me away, but seeing recent trends with other developers who stopped embracing their (former?) passion of game design and started embracing only their wallets and stock holders and dumbed down pc games, made quick console ports out of them and butchered the gameplay in favor of accesability and achievements.

I urge crytek to remember what it is that has made them popular and looked up to by other devs and gamers alike, being that it's obvious they put alot of love into cryengine 2 and crysis, to support their community , and not being afraid to go against the grain (heavy system requirements/milestone in graphics/fresh ideas with the nanosuit)

And to you console fans (I own both an xbox360 and a ps3 i'm not clueless about them) , remember that it's the pc and its superior hardware (for its generation) that has brought along pretty much all of the innovation and ideas and concepts that we can all enjoy on consoles and pc's alike today.
Without the pc there would be no online gaming today, there would be no halo without the emergance of fps games on pc, there would be no PSN or xbox live and there would be no hard drives or bluetooth or wifi in the consoles.

, from an older gamer who hopes gaming won't completely turn into marketing and business.
Jonathan Braz

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:45 pm

I am worried as well, but Crytek has consistently said that they are always a "PC" first company, and that they will remember their roots.

There is going to be a little bit of consolish in the PC version as LiveCreate eseentially ports everything from PC to consoles, and the consoles limitate things slightly. But overall i feel that Crytek is working hard to keep the game from being the standard "console" shooter.
Rob Davidson

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:26 am

i dont think it will be a port just because it is crytek. They are for pc I mean look at the first crysis release? They could of released it for xbox360 but they didnt and kept the pc. The expansion warhead was also on pc which too could be a console game. I think when we get the beta we will see it wont be a port. I also have consoles and agree with your last paragraph 110%. I am sick of console fanyboys saying that pc is crap when they damn games they play are made on a pc lol.
Soku Nyorah

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:02 am

Give Crytek a little more faith than that. They know what they're doing. Didn't you see the last gameplay video where there were gigantic open areas in the streets of New York city....?

Crytek has also gained many new employees from the modding community, and as any company wishes to grow, you can bet money that they'll always support modding.
MR.BIGG

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 pm

i think they havent dummed it down, and if they did, only by a little. remember, they could have brought it to consoles by cryengine2, but chose not to because they wanted to actually make it good, and not dumb it down, and if they did, only by a little.
Daramis McGee

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:55 pm

[quote]i dont think it will be a port just because it is crytek. They are for pc I mean look at the first crysis release? They could of released it for xbox360 but they didnt and kept the pc. The expansion warhead was also on pc which too could be a console game. I think when we get the beta we will see it wont be a port. I also have consoles and agree with your last paragraph 110%. I am sick of console fanyboys saying that pc is crap when they damn games they play are made on a pc lol.[/quote] and also im not too sure that consoles are cheaper now, because everyone buys hdtvs. and their quality is only around medium on pc :P
Flesh Tunnel

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:09 am

I'm not completely without hope, I'm just worried is all.
If it wasnt crytek then I wouldnt take a second look at the game after seeing the console trailers and reading they are making it for consoles.

What I'm worried about most is ported/based on console capabilities textures, small scale fights, lack of huge open areas and spectacular setpieces.
It seems almost inevitable (apart from the textures if they are putting the effort into it) to have a severely limited pc version.

When crysis 1 was fairly new and I saw the nuclear explosion tech demo, the tornado fan made physic mods and the stuff people could pull off in the sandbox editor, I was hoping much of it would feature in crysis 2 with the newer hardware at hand.
This is doubtful now, but again I won't give up on crytek until I've seen /played the pc version.
Sunny Under

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:44 am

Hopefully history won't repeat itself, and Crytek will not crumble by greed.

On the other hand, Crytek is still showing huge support for the modders, so credit has to be given. Their talent has never ceased to amaze me, for both Crytek and especially the modding community.

Ultimarage has a very good point too, and he has been with the community for a long time.
ezra

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm

"Anyone else worried for a console port?"

Oh yeah.
abi

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 am

They have said that they are a PC first company Talon, but at the same time it seems like they are testing our patience by only displaying console gameplay only... as if the game weren't coming out on the pc. They rarely ever talk about Crysis 2 on the PC and always talk about how it's coming to consoles.

I know they wont let us down though, I would just like to see more PC stuff. It's Cryteks roots.
chinadoll

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 am

Its EA marketing strategy to display the game on consoles first, not Crytek.

They are showing it on console first so that everyone is even more impressed when they see the better version. If they showed PC first and then console, everybody would be angry that Crytek "decieved" them.
james reed

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:11 am

How could they feel deceived when comparing a game developed for console hardware thats a little over 5 year old with current generation graphics cards and cpu's on pc? Especially if the game were to follow foot on it's predecessor and be future proof on pc.

I know you're right about the EA marketing, but I think it's senseless, either people will still say 'it looks nowhere near as good as on pc' or crytek will dissapoint the pc crowd.
Releasing the pc footage any later won't change that.
Nadia Nad

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:46 pm

After seeing the gameplay demo today I'm concerned. It seems like every FPS is copying the Call of Duty games, which is pathetic. Crysis 1 gameplay and graphics blew me away, this had me half falling asleep. I really need to see some PC footage to confirm my beliefs. I don't understand why they wouldn't show crysis in all of its glory on a beast 480gtx sli system which would've wowed everyone.

I still have hope for this game..
Ryan Lutz

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:14 am

[quote] Crysis 1 gameplay and graphics blew me away, this had me half falling asleep.[/quote]

Lol, same here. It reminded me of Quake 2. Just another alien boss.

Hopefully, they will quickly release mod tools and A LOT OF WIKI DOCUMENTATION to go with it.
Chris Jones

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:52 pm

NOT TO MENTION FIX THIS STUPID FORUM ALSO.
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm also worried about the same thing, from the videos they've released so far, the console environments seem to have negligible draw distances compared to the previous Crysis games. Besides refinements in character models, i actuallt reckon that the graphics have degraded in alot of areas.
In either event though, I'm sure Crytek will enable all the features of the engine on the PC version whilst the console versions will just have the features they think are necessary for optimal performance and graphics.
Tiffany Carter

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm also worried about the same thing, from the videos they've released so far, the console environments seem to have negligible draw distances compared to the previous Crysis games. Besides refinements in character models, i actuallt reckon that the graphics have degraded in alot of areas.
In either event though, I'm sure Crytek will enable all the features of the engine on the PC version whilst the console versions will just have the features they think are necessary for optimal performance and graphics.
BethanyRhain

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:41 pm

I too am very concerned love Warhead and the original. This one so far seems to limited, to linear. I hope I am wrong and that we just haven't seen the multitude of ways to attack any given problem.
kiss my weasel

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 am

[quote]I am worried as well, but Crytek has consistently said that they are always a "PC" first company, and that they will remember their roots.[/quote)

And now they are working on Codename Kingdoms, which is XBOX only game...:S
Flesh Tunnel

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 am

Its not as though there's a "port" - then editor is doing that bit for them. They have already done all that's needed to make the game on all three platforms SIMULTANEOUSLY. Its too late for them to change anything concerning performance or the game engine as they finished it months and months ago.
Paula Rose

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:36 am

graphics graphics graphics - bleh this game should be about GAMEPLAY - and Eye candy is only gonna be for people with brand new hardcoe rigs or maybe it wont look better till dx11 cards have landed properly in mass. You peeps forget its bigger in three dimensions - look at all the choppers flying and the rainy parts.
Alex Vincent

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:47 pm

[quote]Its not as though there's a "port" - then editor is doing that bit for them. They have already done all that's needed to make the game on all three platforms SIMULTANEOUSLY. Its too late for them to change anything concerning performance or the game engine as they finished it months and months ago.[/quote]

Its called a patch or Update
Mr. Allen

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:30 am

well every single game that has been brought to consoles has been destroyed. UT3, C2, etc. oh well its just another game that consoles have destroyed
Penny Courture

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:01 am

[quote]Its not as though there's a "port" - then editor is doing that bit for them. They have already done all that's needed to make the game on all three platforms SIMULTANEOUSLY. Its too late for them to change anything concerning performance or the game engine as they finished it months and months ago.[/quote]

Directly transferring the CONTENT from a console to the pc is what most
people use as the definition of a port.
And if they are designing their game in that software that creates (ports) it on all 3 platforms at the same time, they are constantly having to adjust their decisions to cater to the xbox/ps's limitations.
And this is exactly what ruins other pc games that have made it on consoles (along with the even worse change of target audience and mentality affecting gameplay and ui decisions)

And to the person who said its not all about graphics, if it werent for stronger hardware then there wouldnt be a gta (open world, large draw distances, streaming loading the map while playing), there wouldnt be fancy physics in shooters and other games and there.
Those both directly affect gameplay and the possibilities.

So unless you want game mechanics and possibilities to stall for another 2-4 years untill new and more powerful consoles are released, you'd
better damn hope they come up with some new stuff that aint possible on consoles, or atleast make certain things the pc standard to encourage

them to be included on next gen consoles.
Ladymorphine

Return to Crysis