Auto-travel in Skyrim

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Oblivion style fast travel is fine.
Don't like it?
Don't use it.
Problem solved.

This is a fantasy RPG, not a jogging simulator.

Excatly nobody is forcing anybody to use Fast Travel if you don't want to use it for Roleplaying reasons then don't use it but don't get rid of it if other people do want fast travel.
Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:37 pm

That's what Morrowind had - fast travel between cities, provided by different services. When I played Oblivion I only fast travelled between cities, but the immersion was ruined somewhat by there not being any real transport services between cities. If Morrowind's system had been implemented in Oblivion it would have been almost exactly as you just described there, except you'd need to pay a nominal fee for the privilege (and it was literally just a few gold), and you wouldn't even have had to have been to the city before travelling, because you're being taken there by someone who has.

That Morrowind had a transport network and Oblivion didn't was just bizarre, and enforced by the equally bizarre "fast travel everywhere" design choice.

I agree completely, this man knows what he's talking about :D
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Do you really want to add extra time that could be spent on a quest or getting that Ring that you always wanted like the Ring Of Perfection or something similar. If your traveling between locations its more time added on walking and not enough time spent exploring a dungeon.

You don't find those dungeons unless you are walking or on a quest. The great thing about Morrowind's travel system was that it would help you get near to where you wanted to be so that you would go out and explore on you're own and find those dungeons without magiclly appearing on the front doorstep.
keri seymour

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Oblivion style fast travel is fine.

If it is, why don't NPCs use it, or even just pretend to use it? After all, it lets you avoid nasty stuff like bandits on the way. In fact, it would make both bandits and roads non-existent, since everybody can fast-travel for free, faster than they could run the distance, and take a ton of stuff with them too ...
Flesh Tunnel

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:00 pm

I didnt like oblivion fast travel but i used it because it was the only fast travel avalaible and i didnt have time to walk all the time.

I have an idea:

add morrowind fast travel between cities (caravan, silt strider, boat, mages guild teleportation)
add every-location fast travel like in oblivion

who want oblivion fast travel will have oblivion fast travel
who want morrowind fast travel will have morrowind fast travel

Also, he game world must be more various, with more hand placed unique items to find and unique location to explore. I liked both morrowind and oblivion, but i prefer exploring in morrowind, i hope in a year i will be prefering skyrim exploring.
Sara Johanna Scenariste

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Holy exaggerations!

It's not an either or with fast travel. You don't HAVE to use it every time. Goodness, and it has nothing to do with the so-called "ADHD" generation. For one, ADHD is a real medical condition and it's just plain wrong to use it as an insult to those that disagree with you.

Fast travel is more akin to the pre-set class choices, and saying that anyone that first started playing a TES game that doesn't research every little ability and stat must have ADHD if they just let the game pick for them.

Also, fast travel in no way shape or form "necessitates" the absence of other forms of travel. They could have both. I frequently traveled in Oblivion using my Unicorn companion that I found in the forest early on. I found that Unicorn by just wandering randomly, and I didn't even know it was the only one for many hours of game play.

It's one thing to have a difference in position, but keep it in perspective. You don't need to degenerate into a hyperbole filled elitist rant all because some people like something that you dislike. :)

Hopefully Skyrim will have the best of both worlds, a fast travel system that can be disabled if you so desire as well as alternate transportation methods.

I personally want a fast travel system that only works after I visit a place.
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Screw it, lets make it fair.
No fast travel.
No insta travel between cities.
No running allowed.
Remove WASD, left click moves your left leg, right click moves your right leg. Move them when not in synch and u trip and die.
Also no saved games allowed, u die please restart game.
I solved all your problems. you're very welcome :D
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am

Also no saved games allowed, u die please restart game.

Sure, why not? hardcoe mode is fun. But then, I play Nethack and DwarfFortress too, and both have only "hardcoe Mode" available ...
sexy zara

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 am

Just have them both I say.

A Morrowind style fast travel system wouldn't have taken an enormous time to add in Oblivion. Nor did Oblivion's system prevent a Morrowind-like system to co-exist. Proof: there were some nice mods for Oblivion that added a Morrowind-like system to Oblivion for those who prefered it.

Immersion-wise the Morrowind-like system adds quite a lot. You can imagine NPC's using it (and it would be greatly preferred if they could actually use it). For the player who doesn't like hiking the same paths for the umpteenth time the Oblivion like point and click fast travel system is ideal.

In Oblivion I used both.
KU Fint

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:03 pm

That's what Morrowind had - fast travel between cities, provided by different services. When I played Oblivion I only fast travelled between cities, but the immersion was ruined somewhat by there not being any real transport services between cities. If Morrowind's system had been implemented in Oblivion it would have been almost exactly as you just described there, except you'd need to pay a nominal fee for the privilege (and it was literally just a few gold), and you wouldn't even have had to have been to the city before travelling, because you're being taken there by someone who has.

That Morrowind had a transport network and Oblivion didn't was just bizarre, and enforced by the equally bizarre "fast travel everywhere" design choice.

Morrowind’s travel system broke down then you frequently visited an out of way location. Televani stronghold is a good example, Cool but useless as you statue in Bruma as you used 5 minutes travling to it from a central location.
Yes a mod was released soon but it does not help consol players. Mark and return can only be used one place without mods so if you use it on stronghold you can not use it other places.
Darlene Delk

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Remove WASD, left click moves your left leg, right click moves your right leg. Move them when not in synch and u trip and die.

LOL

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
BEl J

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:07 pm

There were also horses as well...
DeeD

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:20 am

LOL

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Haha nice game ^^
Stephanie Kemp

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 am

Add both systems
jessica sonny

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:55 pm

To be honest they could add both and give me the option of to turn off Oblivions fast travel and not be able to turn it back on until my next character.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 am

Add both systems

But the Oblivion system renders Morrowind's useless. Why have a sensible transport network when anyone can just teleport anywhere for free?
Ebony Lawson

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:50 pm

I liked MW's concept, but it got very boring walking up that damn valley to the north shore. Thank goodness for flying ;)

OB's is a good conveniece, and if one isn't strong-willed enough to not use it, well it's their tough :cookie: ;)
how solid

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:01 pm

What Bethesda needs to do is make the journey more epic and rewarding than the act you need to perform to get the actual material reward. What I mean is: is it the the trip to Mordor or the destruction of the one ring that make LotR so fascinating? LotR wouldn't make sense of one'd skip the road trip between Moria, Helm's Deep and the other places. I think the ideas behind and the concepts of quest-building and the experience of the game world itself are somewhat wrong. The way of reasoning should be all different.
TES is fantasy, anything is supposed to happen. Traveling isn't supposed to be a chore, but an adventure on its own. That's when you should know there's something fundamentally wrong about the way you're trying to create immersion and the storytelling.
This is one of the things that's been done in a better way in FO3&NV compared to TESIV. There's always something happening when you're on the road. I almost never used fast travel, even when visiting a place I went to before, unless it was the twentieth time or so.
Just my humble opinion.
Auguste Bartholdi

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:52 pm

But the Oblivion system renders Morrowind's useless. Why have a sensible transport network when anyone can just teleport anywhere for free?

Because apparently, there are people that care enough about immersion to want MW's system back. If someone else uses or prefers OB style fast travel, what skin is it off your back?

It's entirely optional. You could walk, take a horse, and I'm sure there are plenty of mods out there that offer MW style fast travel.
Bonnie Clyde

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Fallout 3's fast travel system is perfect and thats the system that I hope is in Skyrim. Not Morrowinds fast travel system no I don't wanna pay gold to visit a city that I already have discovered.
how solid

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:34 am

I liked MW's concept, but it got very boring walking up that damn valley to the north shore. Thank goodness for flying ;)

OB's is a good conveniece, and if one isn't strong-willed enough to not use it, well it's their tough :cookie: ;)

What else should they sacrifice in the name of convenience?

Fallout 3's fast travel system is perfect and thats the system that I hope is in Skyrim. Not Morrowinds fast travel system no I don't wanna pay gold to visit a city that I already have discovered.

I'll probably be heading home for Christmas next week. It's a travesty that I'll need to pay a ~£15 train fare to visit somewhere I've already been before.
latrina

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Meh, they should throw in some more in-world options. But I just absolutely do not buy the argument that instant fast travel should be removed.

I just think its bizzare that some people here proclaim that "choice is being taken away" by removing the travel elements of Morrowing, and then demand that instant fast travel be omitted in favour of Morrowind's system. There's no reason why we can't have both. If some people think its "lazy" and "cheating" then I say tough. People should have the freedom to play the game however they darn well want. That is the true spirit of the series; not immersion.
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi,

This is a post concerning the auto-travel feature that was present in Oblivion and will most likely be present in Skyrim. What do you think about it? Personally I believe auto-travel should be limited to between major towns only. I feel the ability to instantly travel anywhere you've previously been from anywhere else took a lot of the risk and chance out of exploration in Oblivion. Some may say that the feature is optional and you don't have to use it but the point is it's there and it becomes pretty easy to fall back on using it when it is so easy and convenient and as such open to abuse.

While I do think that some auto-travel feature is necessary I think it goes too far in Oblivion and would be happy if it was scaled back to between major towns similar to the silt strider in Morrowind.

I 100% agree with you. I am not a fan of being able to fast-travel anywhere, from anywhere. Like you said, it eliminates almost all feeling of risk and suspense from exploration. I believe it should be how it was in Morrowind. You pay some guy money in a town, to travel to a different town only. It would be nice if Bethesda changed the fast-travel system to that like Morrowind for hardcoe mode in Skyrim, assuming there is a hardcoe mode in Skyrim.
Kelly Tomlinson

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:27 pm

What else should they sacrifice in the name of convenience?

How would I know? How about spears? I never used those :shrug: Wait, they put spears in? Crap...what did they sacrifice? Quest markers are now optional (not really just go with me), crap, what did they leave out because they made something optional?

I was just looking at another thread (forgot which one), and your response fits there as well. Unless I"m reading your response wrong, the limited time/resources response can be used for any argument for anything wanted...it's pointless :shrug:

I still think it's OK to have both :nod:

edit: I agree with Talaran
{Richies Mommy}

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Because if you're looting a cave (think Rockmilk or Robber's Glen), you don't want to have to walk for 2 minutes to get there every time. You want to jump right there and get in the action. Remember, not everyone who plays this game wants to wander around in awe at the plants and wildlife EVERY time they only have 30 minutes to play / are in a bad mood.

I think the best option is like Fallout new vegas - have a choice of having it enabled or disabled at the very start.

Well not everyone needs to have bright lights and explosions going off all the time.

And you cannot disable fast travel in Fallout: New Vegas. At least not in the xbox 360 version afaik.
Jessica White

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim