Axe as a skill

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:49 pm

anyone else like to see the return of the axe?
Dark Mogul

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:30 am

Summed up the thread in the title and sub-title. Completely.

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1148993-official-skyrim-suggestions-and-ideas-1/
Matthew Warren

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 am

If you hit people with the back side it is.
Natalie J Webster

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:16 am

Returning the axe? Sure. Making a skill for a single weapon? No.
Taylah Haines

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Returning the axe? Sure. Making a skill for a single weapon? No.

The game does get a bit overly-specialized when you have to train for so many weapon styles, so I would probably say no as well.
Although I would like to see spears again...
Meghan Terry

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Better solution. Rename blunt weapons. Contradiction fixed and we don't need a whole skill for a single weapon.
Stace

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:22 am

The game does get a bit overly-specialized when you have to train for so many weapon styles, so I would probably say no as well.
Although I would like to see spears again...

But the point of having different skills at all is so people have to specialize....
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:18 am

I like to see return of Axe skill. You can't make real berserker Nord without it.
djimi

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:49 am

So you mean a new skill just for the Axe? I don't think so, I liked that there were only 3 weapon skills. And you can't put it in blade, because it, well doesnt have a blade. Its not a bow, so thats out. How about renaming Blunt to Piercing? But that leaves blunt for the hammers. I say keep it how it is, names don't bother me much.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Believe it or not, in real historical combat systems, one uses similar guards and attacks with a staff, halberd, spear, and longsword. The guards and attacks also translate into shorter weapons. Now, some things do change for obvious reasons, but training with a longsword can and does improve ones ability to use a spear and a long axe a great deal. I think it'd be nice if this translated to the game, and it would be even nicer if they could do that *and* keep the weapons individual skills. So perhaps they could have an underlying hand to hand weapons skill that improves ones ability with all hand to hand weapons, with the traditional short/long/axe/spear/blunt skills as specializations.
Emma Louise Adams

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:31 am

Believe it or not, in real historical combat systems, one uses similar guards and attacks with a staff, halberd, spear, and longsword. The guards and attacks also translate into shorter weapons. Now, some things do change for obvious reasons, but training with a longsword can and does improve ones ability to use a spear and a long axe a great deal. I think it'd be nice if this translated to the game, and it would be even nicer if they could do that *and* keep the weapons individual skills. So perhaps they could have an underlying hand to hand weapons skill that improves ones ability with all hand to hand weapons, with the traditional short/long/axe/spear/blunt skills as specializations.

This. I definitely think serious warrior characters would be proficient with many weapons, despite favoring one overall. However, there do need to be perks for specializing in a particular weapon.
Karl harris

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:39 am

I like this idea. Implementation of a system that says "For every 2 points of Longsword, you gain 1 point of Spear, Staff, and Axe" or some similar stats. This allows you to be proficient with similar weapons, despite lack of use, while still allowing you to pick one favorite weapon that you are just better at. If a Warrior who usually fights with a spear picks up a longsword, they wouldn't be instantly terrible at it because they know how combat with big weapons works. They just won't be quite as good as someone who specializes in longswords and has used them for much longer.
ShOrty

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 am

I'd like to have the axe skill back... but I think polearms would be a more important skill (spears, poleaxes and halberds!).
Nikki Hype

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:05 am

I like this idea. Implementation of a system that says "For every 2 points of Longsword, you gain 1 point of Spear, Staff, and Axe" or some similar stats. This allows you to be proficient with similar weapons, despite lack of use, while still allowing you to pick one favorite weapon that you are just better at. If a Warrior who usually fights with a spear picks up a longsword, they wouldn't be instantly terrible at it because they know how combat with big weapons works. They just won't be quite as good as someone who specializes in longswords and has used them for much longer.

Totally agree. Using a weapon should not only ain experience for that weapon category, but a little bit for similar skillsets.
x_JeNnY_x

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:19 am

That's absolutely brilliant. It would require some balancing issues for levelling up, but could be done with a little thought put into it.

As for Axe being in blunt weapons, if they still want the same number of skills, maybe rename it to... um... swinging weapons? No, that sounds stupid. Maybe even to something as simple as blunt/axe
ashleigh bryden

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:20 am

So you mean a new skill just for the Axe? I don't think so, I liked that there were only 3 weapon skills. And you can't put it in blade, because it, well doesnt have a blade. Its not a bow, so thats out. How about renaming Blunt to Piercing? But that leaves blunt for the hammers. I say keep it how it is, names don't bother me much.

New skill? No. Bring back a classic Elder Scrolls skill? Yes.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:45 am

Better solution. Rename blunt weapons. Contradiction fixed and we don't need a whole skill for a single weapon.

Agreed. Axes and maces are basically used the same way; just use a name like 'Hafted Weapons' or something similar, and call it a day.
Sammi Jones

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 am

Agreed. Axes and maces are basically used the same way; just use a name like 'Hafted Weapons' or something similar, and call it a day.

What about making it One-handed weapons and Two-handed weapons? That way you could have a whole mix of weapons depending on their size and add different bonuses. For example - change the block skill for each type of weapon class. Of course we should add marksman and polearm categories as well!
helliehexx

Return to V - Skyrim