Bad games that you enjoy playing

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Do you have any game that you consider objectively bad, but it has one (or more) redeeming quality that keeps you playing?

I think Risen 2: Dark Waters is a really poor game (graphics, combat, story, freedom) but I like its goofiness a lot, its humour (intentional or not) goes well with the pirate theme. When I finished it 3 years ago I never thought I would be back for a second and even worse, a third playthrough.

sharon

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:32 pm

I love to play me some Too Human, or did at some point. I've also been known to play Destiny here and there.

DeeD

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:40 pm

If I enjoy playing it I'm not going to call it "bad". lol :P

Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:20 am

Likewise. The only critic that matters to me is me.

Kelvin Diaz

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:52 pm

I wish I could connect my Atari Jaguar to my tv... Sniping helicopters with a rail gun in Iron Soldier, and doing something in Alien Vs Predator
Jonathan Egan

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:48 pm

I find Fallout 3 goddam awful, however its worldbuilding and dungeon crawling kept me hooked for a while.

Two Worlds, KOA Reckoning, Dragon Age 2, Thief 2014 are examples of bad-mediocre games that hooked me enough to finish them, but that didn't change my overall negative impression.
phil walsh

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:15 pm

"Two Worlds" had no business being released in the state it was.

Yet it would keep drawing you in and playing.

"Deadly Premonition".

Open World survival horror... soooooooooooo wierd... so bad... it was amazingly good at the same time. Even my wife was mesmerised.

I would like to say "50 Cent: The Blood In The Sand" but I would be making the same mistake as the person who said "Too Human" which was actually a great game. "50 Cent: The Blood In The Sand" had no business being ANYWHERE near as great as it was. It was like "Gears Of War" but with 50 Cent. Ridiculous... but had great graphics, great controls and most amusingly a button where you could cuss your enemies out. So because the game was actually good... it doesn't belong here.

Sophie Payne

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball for the 360 :D .

Ymani Hood

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Fallout 4, oh wait I don't enjoy playing that at all.

Two World's, while being horrible it has it's charm.

Dragon Age 2 I have played it more than Origins and Inquisition!

The Fable series, keep hearing it's horrible but they are one of my favorite games!

Juan Suarez

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Is Dungeon Siege considered to be "bad?" If so, I guess that would go on my list. I had a blast playing the first Blood Rayne game. It probably wasn't very good, I suppose, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I actually don't play very many games so I don't have a very long list to choose from. For the last decade or so I've mainly confined myself to World of Warcraft and games by Bethesda and Bioware. I'm not very adventurous in my game purchases.

Naazhe Perezz

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:57 am

I only played the first two Dungeon Siege games, sadly I do not have the DLC for them anymore. I have the third one but have not tired it yet, or at least not past the first couple of minutes.

Brandon Bernardi

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:40 pm

Oh my lump....

"Bullet Witch"!

The happiest ten dollars I ever spent on the XBox 360!

Tanya Parra

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:48 am

There are a number of Japanese games that do plenty of things badly and are very unpolished, and yet they are so quirky so I enjoy them lots anyway. Like the above-mentioned Deadly Premonition or the Way of the Samurai series just to mention something.

Basically, games that tend to be noticeably larger in scope than their budgets allow :P
Jack

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:00 am

A bad game that I play, that I DON'T enjoy playing would be Warframe.

At this point in time (about 970 hours in), it's more like Stockholm Syndrome.

Trish

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Dark Souls 3?
I mean, Dark souls was tough, but fair. 2 was mostly the same, with occasional scenes of surprise buttsix. But 3 with it's stunlock-based combat system? That's terminal asscancer. Yet 80 hours in already, and i don't plan stopping any lifetime soon :teehee:
Trent Theriot

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:55 pm

I suppose I should add Fallout 3 to the list, while the story was meh it was really easy to roleplay in it as the backstory was rarely so I could make my own character with no issues are all!

Unlike 4, "I want to be a rugged BoS member" "No" "Raide-" "NO." "Settle-" "NO" "Old gruff sniper?" "NO, you are Nate/Nora and there's nothing you can do about it." I wonder if that mute mod helps..but then again so much of the content is blocked off by the main story that it's impossible to do anything without being Bethesda force feeding you the backstory. "Be who you want to be, and by that we mean Nate or Nora."

..I'll stop now, I'm still really mad about it.

-The Technomancer, so many bad reviews about how the first boss was almost impossible, but when I started playing it, even in the hardest difficulty I found it to be pretty easy. It has a pretty interesting setting and story even if the dialog can be rather bland at times.

-Bubsy 1 and 2, they are pretty average platformers and decent enough to play!

-Bear Simulator, after a...certain Youtuber didn't know what to do, screamed at the monitor, got a refund in the video screaming at his brainless followers to get a refund it got a lot of hate. But it's a pretty good game and has a really nice story! It's what it says in the tin, a game where you're a bear.

-The Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series, while it did get good reviews it got a lot of hate for not being like the first Tactics game, but frankly I enjoy it more than the Ps1 FFT game. The fact that it also has several playable races and it doesn't take a few centuries to actually do anything makes me love the Advance games more. My party in 2 is filled with nothing but Seeq and Bangaa!

Marine Arrègle

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Two Worlds. I wanted to see what the series was like because Two Worlds II is getting an engine upgrade and a new expansion very soon. Anyway, the game was very rough around the edges. The pop-in was atrocious. I'm not sure if the cheesy voice acting of the player character was intentional or not. Some of the music seemed out of place but I liked 2 tracks. Some of the quests had some tough decisions to make and the outcome of one city in particular caught me off guard. I never want to play this game again but I mostly enjoyed it somehow :D

SamanthaLove

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:40 pm

For me Dragon Age: Inquisition and Kingdom of Amular. I really had a lot of fan with the latter, and I enjoyed the companion interactions of the former.

Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Now wait a minute! I remember hearing everybody and their sweet mamma praise DAI for being good. How do you consider it bad? I mean, I KNOW why I think it's bad...

Nicole M

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:43 pm

I enjoyed Two Worlds a lot: yeah, it was unpolished and the voice acting was a very special thing, but it was a rather innovative game in lots of ways and had loads of atmosphere. TW2 saw a lot of polishing but I felt it polished the original's personality away too.

And I'm surprised to see KoA mentioned at least a couple of times so far: I actually think it's a really nice little game. Can't think of much to complain about except that the latter sections of the game could've been fleshed out a bit more, though it's not alone in that respect.
Janine Rose

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Maybe KoA gets mentioned since the studio went bankrupt around of the time the DLC was released so parts of it might have been rushed to see if those sales could save the company. I found the game to be quite fun and good.

OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:41 pm

I guess that's possible. In which case I'm glad I didn't run into issues with the DLC and enjoyed both of them a lot: Captain Brattigan quickly became one of my favourite ever NPCs.
des lynam

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 pm

I don't know how anyone could say Kingdoms of Amalur was objectively bad. I can see not liking it, but it definitely isn't objectively bad, even when you stretch beyond the strict definition of objectively bad. It actually was a pretty fantastic game all around imo. The sidequests were fairly engaging, the combat was better than most of its contemporaries and the world building was pretty good. Story was a little weak but it had an interesting concept to it. Characters were stronger than Skyrim's, but still not entirely memorable either.
Cheville Thompson

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Most threads in these forums are like the game "Chinese Whispers." Discussion topics get distorted over the course of 200 posts to the point where no one is even talking about the original topic at the end of the thread. In this case we have gone from "games that are objectively bad" to "games I do not like" in record time.

Cathrine Jack

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:25 am

So the dilution solution.

Yeah, seems an accurate enough observation from what I've seen lol.
Kanaoka

Next

Return to Othor Games