Best Oblivion overhaul?

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:50 am

It is? I had no idea. Will you still get to use all of the features of Maskars if you use OOO?

Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:28 am

Maskar's automatically disables traps, bash locks, equipment for bosses and named bosses, melee damage setting, creature damage setting, NPC health, gear degradation and sneak attack multipliers, letting Oscuro can handle these features. You might be able to override this by editing the "Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul for compatibility.ini file." But I don't know if this works, as I've never tried it.

EDIT: You can override Oscuro by editing the .ini. But it only works on a new game.

Smokey

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:00 pm

You will get to use the features of Maskar's that do not conflict with OOO. See Pseron's post to know what conflicts. Maskar's disables the same features in MOO, letting OOO have the day. I like an OOO and MOO install. Quite a fun experience. But what's fun for one is crap for others. Like all mod decisions, you'll just have to try and see. I know, you weren't asking if they are fun together. I just thought I'd share a personal opinion.

But yes, you will get most of MOO's features, even if you run OOO at the same time. A half a dozen or so features will be disabled. I guess what you'd really want to know is if MOO does it better or if OOO does it better. To answer that, unfortunately (?), you'll have to try both.

Laura Tempel

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the replies. I current;y use OOO, and i would hate to give it up. But, Maskars sounds great as well. If i could get them both to work, that would be awesome.

Another question, i also like to use combat mods like Duke's and Deadly Reflexes. Are combat mods compatible with Maskars? I thought i read that Maskars mod changes combat AI. So, i wasn't sure if they could work together. Thanks.

Daniel Holgate

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:21 pm

There are lines in that compatibility .ini that cover Duke Patrick, Deadly Reflex and Unnecessary Violence 3. At its default setting, Maskar's doubles all combat damage. It disables this if it detects any of those mods. Additionally, it disables changes it makes to the Pickaxe if it detects Duke Patrick.

I don't use combat mods very often so I don't know how Maskar's AI changes might affect them. Malonn might know more about that. But I imagine that if there was a serious conflict Maskar would have accounted for it. He is a very thorough, scrupulous modder. :)

Emily Shackleton

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Sometimes I feel like the odd one out for preferring the "lightest" overhaul possible. I just use Francesco's overhaul without any of the new creatures or items, to fix my problems with the level scaling. That's not everything I use, but I've always been ridiculously picky about new content added by mods - I generally just have a shortlist of different gameplay mods that sum up to the Oblivion experience I want.

Melung Chan

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:46 am

I do not like to use any overhauls at all and usually just like to pick a few mods here and there if I use any.

Brooke Turner

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Yeah. A quick point: for an overhaul, Maskar's is the single most compatible of them all. He does almost everything through scripting, not permanent edits to the relevant settings in the CS. If you want a great, maintained, up-to-date overhaul, Maskar's is the way to go.

But as far as combat mods, I'm not too familiar with some of them. I've never used Duke Patrick's Melee Combat. I run his Combat Archery mod, and it is quite compatible with MOO, as, once again, Maskar creates compatibility settings right off the bat in the package. Just install and go. If you feel like tweaking, you can. Deadly Reflex is compatible too. But that mod is old and outdated, though it does offer features no other mod does. The core of DR is combat versatility. Do certain combat moves and you get momentum which allows for special kills. Sneak up on people and assassinate them. Throw weapons. That's the biggest part. It offers more, like GMST changes, bashing and timed blocking, etc.

MOO's AI is stuff like fleeing, which uses scripts attached to NPC's, so they won't conflict with DR that much. What does conflict is turned off by Maskar in his INI files. Same for Duke Patrick's CA. They run well together. Vanilla Combat Enhanced is nice, and runs perfectly with MOO. Like Pseron said, you should be pretty good to go running MOO with these mods. MOO is VERY compatible with most everything. It was designed with that in mind. You'll also find, if you run MOO, that you don't need a lot of additional mods like new creatures and armors. He covers all that very well. That's not to say you find some unique stuff out there on the Nexus.

Misty lt

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:51 am

I've recently installed MOO with my latest series 9 SDR beta to test out compatibility, and I'm really digging it. Nice variety of critters and challenging scenarios. It's a really great test for me as a player as well as for SDR's features. You have to play smart, and it's a very dangerous world out there! But not so dangerous as to make it unplayable. Lots of pleasant surprises such as not being able to use more advanced weapons until your skill reaches a minimum level.

Jordan Moreno

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:00 pm

That's good news that they work together well.

Jessica Thomson

Previous

Return to IV - Oblivion