best weapon for killing deathclaws

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:04 am

I've cleared out the Sloan Quarry with a fully-modded laser rifle. I vaporized deathclaws in 1 to 4 shots (and not always with MC rounds!)
My character has the following perks to help optimize the laser rifle: Meltdown, Laser Commander, Finesse and Better Criticals.

And of course 100 pts. in EW. And a luck of 10.

The YCS/186 is sort of redundant, at least in my opinion. It's heavier, slow reload time, slow ref'ire. Nice reticals though.
Dylan Markese

Post » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:14 pm

ED-E with the weapon upgrade, post-patch. I'm trying to sneak into a good position near the Promontory, then he just flies in and BACHOOM! BACHOOM! BACHOOM! He wiped out three quarters of them before they finally got him.
Cameron Wood

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 am

The YCS/186 is sort of redundant, at least in my opinion. It's heavier, slow reload time, slow ref'ire. Nice reticals though.

RCW+ with Max Charge ammo = finger of death. ^^
Gavin Roberts

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:20 am

RCW+ with Max Charge ammo = finger of death. ^^

And rapid reload, which is good for any character imo.
I thought you liked the holorifle more however due to RoF ?
stevie trent

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:45 am

Um....Boone. :D

He's the best weapon for anything. Oh, you meant something you can hold in your hands? I do some good damage with the Gauss Rifle. The BOS has one but I think I got this one somewhere else...can't remember right now though. I'll come back and edit my post if I recall. Ok, I must have gotten it at the Silver Rush. Use Max Charge MF cells when firing at Deathclaws. :)

Actually, Boone was PWNED by a Young DeathClaw; in fact, whenever I bring him into the Quarry, he dies. Even in Normal he just couldn't last more than one contact......
Irmacuba

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:48 am

And rapid reload, which is good for any character imo.
I thought you liked the holorifle more however due to RoF ?

I like Holorifle more due to balance, RCW+ is overpowered like crazy with Max Charge ammo.
hannah sillery

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:14 am

Actually, Boone was PWNED by a Young DeathClaw; in fact, whenever I bring him into the Quarry, he dies. Even in Normal he just couldn't last more than one contact......

Since me doing the fighting isn't my favorite thing, I do all that I can to make sure my companions are the best fighters/most prepared they can be. They have the best armor I can get and it's kept in good repair always. I give them the best weapons and make sure they have lots of ammo. I have high Charisma because I want high Speech skills and for the Companion Nerve. I don't take them to Quarry Junction until we're at a high enough level to fight the Momma Deathclaw and the Alpha Male. We find the best spot for the attack so we're up high and the Deathclaws can't reach us...because that's what snipers do best. These strategies/tactics are the only things I can think of that would explain the difference in our experiences. It's easy for me to think Boone is awesome right now because I'm at Level 30 and we're heading into the Endgame...finally! The sad part is that I don't want it to end. Good luck the next time you take him to the Quarry. I know he can do better. :)
Sammi Jones

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 am

The YCS/186 is probably the best weapon at range in the game and when you spec to meltdown and laser commander while getting your energy weapon skill maxed out you can take out groups of Deathclaws including Alfa Males and the Deathclaw Mother and even the Legendary Deathclaw with minimal effort. Just be sure you are at range so you don't kill yourself in the process.

The YCS/186 is a variant of the Gauss Rifle, a Plasma Weapon. Laser Commander Perk should have no effect.
Destinyscharm

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:09 am

The YCS/186 is a variant of the Gauss Rifle, a Plasma Weapon. Laser Commander Perk should have no effect.

Gauss Rifle is not a plasma weapon, it uses electro magnetism to propel a projectile through the air. :grad:
Carlos Rojas

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:47 pm

The deadliest weapon available is the Silenced .22 Pistol. It's just epic.

:disguise: :stare: :rofl: :teehee:

Deadly to the player, you mean.

Aaah... sarcasm is such a lost art. :shakehead:
Markie Mark

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 am

does anyone know the best weapon to kill deathclaws and where to get it from

Why would you want to kill one? If you're calm and courteous enough, you can reason with it.
David Chambers

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 am

I had ed e so I could see them before they saw me. Kinda regreted it when I was crouched silently sniping, then ed-e was shooting loudly playing music then dying and they were in short distance of me, enough to find me.

I like Holorifle more due to balance, RCW+ is overpowered like crazy with Max Charge ammo.

RCW seemed overpowered due to how it just eats ammo, even with the mod it still goes through it too quickly imo, much prefer my laser rifle+++ gauss isnt to practical due to how many deathclaws are around sloan and 4/5 MFCs for one shot.
Also I wish the tri beam was effected by shotgun perks, its pretty much a shotgun after all.
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Oh, Baby! (110 DAM with heavy handed!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeZItry7eMA

Shishkebab if you have Pyromaniac.

everyone else is posting guns =) thought I'd give something unique.
City Swagga

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:28 am

If you have not leveled for a specific build then any sniper rifle, a pile of AP ammo and a good position will do the trick.
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 am

does anyone know the best weapon to kill deathclaws and where to get it from

The important part is your Skill level.

Once my Skill was over 90 with Critical Perks, DeathClaws go down with one hit one kill on many weapons.

The Gobi Rifle or the AMR with low Skill and low Level will never ever do it. So don't BS yourself about a so called best weapon.

B)
Miranda Taylor

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 am

The important part is your Skill level.

Once my Skill was over 90 with Critical Perks, DeathClaws go down with one hit one kill on many weapons.

The Gobi Rifle or the AMR with low Skill and low Level will never ever do it. So don't BS yourself about a so called best weapon.

B)

100 skill + laser pistol = carnage! D:<
Marnesia Steele

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 am

I had ed e so I could see them before they saw me. Kinda regreted it when I was crouched silently sniping, then ed-e was shooting loudly playing music then dying and they were in short distance of me, enough to find me.

RCW seemed overpowered due to how it just eats ammo, even with the mod it still goes through it too quickly imo, much prefer my laser rifle+++ gauss isnt to practical due to how many deathclaws are around sloan and 4/5 MFCs for one shot.
Also I wish the tri beam was effected by shotgun perks, its pretty much a shotgun after all.

I am fine, but Boone always got knock out. Not until I take away his Hunting Rifle to force him to use Riot+bean bags anyways.

No what I don't get is the second part: How would RCW be overpower if it just eats ammo? How would Gauss/YCS isn't practical when they can one shot Deathclaws while your Laser Rifle+++ needs few shots or OC/Max ammo?
Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 am

I am fine, but Boone always got knock out. Not until I take away his Hunting Rifle to force him to use Riot+bean bags anyways.

No what I don't eat is the second part: How would RCW be overpower if it just eats ammo? How would Gauss/YCS isn't practical when they can one shot Deathclaws while your Laser Rifle+++ needs few shots or OC/Max ammo?

RCW+'s ammo is very cheap and can be crafted in plenty and weighs very lightly.
Sure it eats ammo but in short distance I'd say keep RCW+ with at least 200 Max Charge ammo on you cause it will come in handy.
So I wouldn't use it for everything.
Long-distance is best with Holorifle+++, better damage than Laser Rifle+++ and better rate of fire and ammo consumption than Gauss Rifle or YCS.
Taylrea Teodor

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:05 am

This topic needs more Brush gun.

Cowboy Courier FTW.
Mario Alcantar

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 am

RCW+'s ammo is very cheap and can be crafted in plenty and weighs very lightly.
Sure it eats ammo but in short distance I'd say keep RCW+ with at least 200 Max Charge ammo on you cause it will come in handy.
So I wouldn't use it for everything.
Long-distance is best with Holorifle+++, better damage than Laser Rifle+++ and better rate of fire and ammo consumption than Gauss Rifle or YCS.

So you are saying a weapon is preforming well in situation that it is meant to be use is bad?

And thanks for the suggestion about a weapon which completes with a "exclusive" DLC.

Maybe I should just tell people to use the Debug Pistol.
Danel

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:25 pm

This topic needs more Brush gun.

Cowboy Courier FTW.

Now that the sniper rifle got nerfed, why not move onto the next OP gun in line? Not like the patch actually succeeded in balancing the guns at all.

EDIT: Yes, the SR needed a nerf. No, I don't think reducing base damage was the way to go - if you want to stop people from using the SR like an assault rifle, lower the attacks/sec, reload time, and/or magazine size. Or just lower the JSP ammo multiplier. And if you want people to start using the hunting rifle more, buff the hunting rifle - though the idea that a Walmart-issue hunting rifle being comparable to a military-issue, hand-crafted sniper rifle is insane.
Rachel Hall

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:22 am

Anti material rifle or Sniper rifle, hollow point ammo. Headshot.
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 am

EDIT: Yes, the SR needed a nerf. No, I don't think reducing base damage was the way to go - if you want to stop people from using the SR like an assault rifle, lower the attacks/sec, reload time, and/or magazine size. Or just lower the JSP ammo multiplier. And if you want people to start using the hunting rifle more, buff the hunting rifle - though the idea that a Walmart-issue hunting rifle being comparable to a military-issue, hand-crafted sniper rifle is insane.

The ideal wasn't getting people to use Hunting Rifle, I think it was quite the opposite: .308 is a smaller caliber thus it should be crap compare to .44 and .45 according to JE's rule of thumb in NV.

Sniper Rifle was under use in FO3, and Hunting Rifle is all you need before Broken Steel and subsequent DLCs. Given Hunting Rifle still more durable and easier/cheaper to repair, JE just feels the jump between the two was too much.

I would agree JFP seems very powerful compare to the Magnums, but bear in mind those weapons also benefit from Cowboy where Sniper Rifle doesn't.

Anyways, the man did it, rule of thumb over logic, as well as half a tier with in array of guns.
April

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:29 pm

The ideal wasn't getting people to use Hunting Rifle, I think it was quite the opposite: .308 is a smaller caliber thus it should be crap compare to .44 and .45 according to JE's rule of thumb in NV.

I used the hunting rifle before patch, the sniper was only superior due to being more akin to B.A.R irl, a multi tool high powered assault rifle that would eat through any foe.
Combine it with the silencer which is the real reason people complain about it getting nerfed, ( because they want insta kills 90% of the time without any threat of being spotted even in touch distance of foes ).
You end up with a very versitile, high powered gun with absolutly no draw backs when modded.

A hunting rifle has lower cit chance, weighs more, requires the same strength, can't be silenced, requires mods to scope it, make it fire as fast / faster than a sniper;
To compansate for more hits required due to less criticals out side of sneak has a mod that allows more ammo per mag.
In all the hunting rifle is powerfull basic damage wise because it should be due to its unsupressed .308 rounds, but lacks less criticals making it over all weaker.
It's the gun you use when you want a tactical challange, a sniper is still the best gun when you wish just to kill without getting spotted.
Sarah Unwin

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:26 am

So you are saying a weapon is preforming well in situation that it is meant to be use is bad?

And thanks for the suggestion about a weapon which completes with a "exclusive" DLC.

Maybe I should just tell people to use the Debug Pistol.

What? No, RCW+ w/ MCMFC is aweseom against everything at medium distance, but it eats away ammo, so one should not rely on it as a main weapon bur rather as an ace in the sleeve.

Sorry but Holorifle+++ is my new baby. :fallout:

I guess.
Felix Walde

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas