Boats and Water

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 am

One thing I'm hoping comes with the new engine is a little more liveliness to the water in the game. In both Morrowind and Oblivion the water was completely level as if it was just some pond, and the "busiest" harbors only had one or two ships docked, with none coming and going. I think it would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game if you could watch a ship disappear over the horizon.

What do you guys think?
Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:44 am

maybe some kind of merchant's guild, requiring you to do jobs like guarding ships, finding lost cargo etc
Sakura Haruno

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 am

True that.

Dynamic animations to water would be nice as well, rowing a boat and seeing the small waves and ripples go off around your boat.

And hopefully the new engine can handle much more NPCs in a single area at a time, it would create a true living world atmosphere at the docks.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:38 am

Storms. Large storms, thatr non-quest specific, thatll just coat area's in water. Like a harbor town, getting huge waves that knock boats down. Sick.
asako

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:42 am

Storms. Large storms, thatr non-quest specific, thatll just coat area's in water. Like a harbor town, getting huge waves that knock boats down. Sick.

more merchant guild ideas

help the ship survive a storm
Rachael Williams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

I'm not particularly too hopeful for boats

Moving water I would hope they've improved upon
Kelvin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 am

i completely agree with you in part with the atmospheric illusion and the particle dynamic water physics (such as rain that can show water dripping down your character or a building) but i am also a competitive sailor and i would love to see boats coming and going...add on idea for Return to Solstheim dlc...ride the boat in real time to the island with elements of wind power...like seeing the wind come and go from a sail and watch how the physics could be highly advanced enough to show an animation of the sail filling each fold and wrinkle
Brian Newman

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:46 am

Whether it be villages, cities, ports etc...the game needs to be very lively. Period. I want Skyrim to feel alive and lived in unlike Cyrodiil.
Tyrel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 am

Agree with all of the above comments. Not to go off topic but if an MW styled travelling was in game, I wish ships work as taxis :P I always loved the quest you did in the ship in the IC docks...where you get the Blackwater Blade. Things like that should happen just because it's part of the NPCs routine.
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 am

One thing I'm hoping comes with the new engine is a little more liveliness to the water in the game. In both Morrowind and Oblivion the water was completely level as if it was just some pond, and the "busiest" harbors only had one or two ships docked, with none coming and going. I think it would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game if you could watch a ship disappear over the horizon.

What do you guys think?

Damn good idea. Always thought Cyrodil could've done with more shipping. Would make the lighthouse at Anvil a bit more useful!
Eve(G)

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 am

We should be able to stand on objects and move with them, they should have specific things where you should be tied to an object's rotation & XY coordinates until you jump off, but you can still move around the top of it.

It would help with making more unique dungeons, and possibly unique creatures (I'm thinkin' whales).

It would also add the ability for vehicles (boats, carriages, carts), and more gameplay opportunities.

Want to get out of town fast? Throw a fireball at a horse to make it run and jump on top of the carriage.

Of course, speed would also have to be calculated to a point where the PC should stumble (and if it's going fast enough, ragdoll).
lauren cleaves

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm guessing that the harbours will be quite busy since the Nords seem to do most of their trading using boats. Having a dynamic system where ships would come and leave at certain times with new supplies could be quite interesting.
George PUluse

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am

More ship livelyhood would be awesome; put some pirates in the game too. I think the water in general needs to be revamped. There was no underwater architecture, caves, secrets or even life (in Oblivion of course, in Morrowind there were some more interesting aspects).
Charlotte Henderson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 pm

I for one would love better and busier harbors and such.

Also, that merchant's guild thing sounds like a great idea, but I would want it to be a little more mercantile/economic intrigue focused rather than just doing actiony things for a bunch of merchants.
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 am

I'm guessing that the harbours will be quite busy since the Nords seem to do most of their trading using boats. Having a dynamic system where ships would come and leave at certain times with new supplies could be quite interesting.

That's my point exactly! It's even less excusable for the harbors to be dead in this game because the Nords are sailors.
Sarah Evason

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:44 pm

I thought they wouldn't use boats as much seeing as they're at the North.
Nichola Haynes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:11 am

God I am so excited for this new engine. I hope we get to see weather effecting the water. Waves crashing against the harbors during storms etc..
Lisa

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm

There probably won't be a lot of boats simply because most of the water in Skyrim will likely be frozen solid. And if it's not frozen it'll be a churning arctic sea.
Amy Melissa

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 am

id love to see the traffic of boats around harbors, it adds to the realism and immersion
SexyPimpAss

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Aren't Nords the natural sailors of Tamriel? I think there should be quite a bit of boat-related content.

Most important thing to me though is waves. I want to see water that just looks dangerous to swim in. I don't need tidal waves or anything, but just some good 3-5 foot waves with white caps, against dark dark blue water would be great.
Jonathan Braz

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:02 pm

What do you guys think?

I think I would be eternally grateful to any game maker that can incorporate a occupiable sixteenth century chinese junk into the game.
Dale Johnson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:19 am

There probably won't be a lot of boats simply because most of the water in Skyrim will likely be frozen solid. And if it's not frozen it'll be a churning arctic sea.

I don't think so. I think most of Skyrims snowy areas will be due to altitude. I'm sure there will be a lot of frozen lakes, but the sea of ghosts I don't think will frozen solid all along Skyrims border.
Emily Graham

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 am

Nordic Longships FTW!!
Spencey!

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Nords sailed directly to Skyrim, so there'd better be harbours on the coasts.
Jesus Lopez

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Moving ships and waves would be nice. One thing that really bugged me about Oblivion is that when you really sat down and looked at it, many of it's so-called water ways weren't really even navigable.
Sophie Louise Edge

Return to V - Skyrim