Bosmer height question.

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:07 am

Most races are the same height, regardless of gender. Dunmer, Altmer, Orsimer, whatever. They're all relatively the same height. But Bosmer are different. In both Morrowind and Oblivion, Females were normal height, where as males were shorter. I've done tons of internet searches trying to answer the why to this question, but so far, no avail, when I still had Morrowind on the computer, I usually just edited it out with the construction set, because it made no sense to me, and so now I'm simply going to ask here.

What is the lore behind Bosmer men being so much shorter than the women? Why aren't they the same height?
RAww DInsaww

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 am

Most races are the same height, regardless of gender. Dunmer, Altmer, Orsimer, whatever. They're all relatively the same height. But Bosmer are different. In both Morrowind and Oblivion, Females were normal height, where as males were shorter. I've done tons of internet searches trying to answer the why to this question, but so far, no avail, when I still had Morrowind on the computer, I usually just edited it out with the construction set, because it made no sense to me, and so now I'm simply going to ask here.

What is the lore behind Bosmer men being so much shorter than the women? Why aren't they the same height?

I always thought it was selective pressure on the males. In a society where being unseen is a Good Thing (their scripture is the Meh Ayleidoon, "Thousand Ways of Hiding"), being small is not a disadvantage. Stay-at-home females would not be under similar selective pressure.
LuBiE LoU

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't remember if there's any official explanation within the lore for the height disparity. But, the real world explanation was that it was a comment on the metaphorical nature of women and the nature of men. Women are tall and beautiful, men are short and ugly.
Annick Charron

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:19 am

I don't remember if there's any official explanation within the lore for the height disparity. But, the real world explanation was that it was a comment on the metaphorical nature of women and the nature of men. Women are tall and beautiful, men are short and ugly.

Comment on the metaphorical nature of men and women? I'm not seeing it.
aisha jamil

Post » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Comment on the metaphorical nature of men and women? I'm not seeing it.

Go watch the Cosby Show, Still Standing, According to Jim, Two and a Half man, or just about any other comedy show that has fat, loud and obnoxious man married to an intelligent, good looking woman and makes you wonder how they ended up together.

Well that or Hugh Hefner and his bunny of the month.
x a million...

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Go watch the Cosby Show, Still Standing, According to Jim, Two and a Half man, or just about any other comedy show that has fat, loud and obnoxious man married to an intelligent, good looking woman and makes you wonder how they ended up together.

Now I see it, thanks.
Peter P Canning

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:19 am

I find tall women to be a turn off.
Shianne Donato

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:47 am

I find tall women to be a turn off.

Bosmer females aren't tall at all, they're simply average height.
Haley Merkley

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:54 am

Bosmer females aren't tall at all, they're simply average height.

It's the men who are short, and need horns again.
April

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:23 am

Yeah what happened to the horns? Or beards for that matter.... Let's just say the character customization in Oblivion svcked. It went way too far over the top, and then left out some of the most basic features. And in regards to women and height, I'm not too particular, but I definitely don't want a girl to be taller than me(not one that I would date, anyway. Between 5'02" and 5'06" would be good).

Back on topic, I sometimes theorize that it might be a reflection of nature and the animal kingdom, where female animals are often larger than their male counterparts.
Elisabete Gaspar

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:23 am

Alot of unique racial features simply vanished in Oblivion: No more Black Eyes or Horns for the Bosmer, no more full-red eyes for the dunmer, no more beards for ANY of the males. Why Beth? Why?
I recall a thread like this that MK posted in, with the same answer that prowler provided (And some sort of Poster for a book). Looking at the concept art for the Bosmer in Morrowind, the males were probably meant to look MUCH uglier, while the females were much prettier.

There's no lore as to why the males are so short, and I don't buy the 'Stay-at-home wives' theory. Why wouldn't the females be short then? They're as good as the males in sneaking.
Elisha KIng

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 am

There's no lore as to why the males are so short, and I don't buy the 'Stay-at-home wives' theory. Why wouldn't the females be short then? They're as good as the males in sneaking.

Why not? Female snakes are bigger than male snakes. Some female birds and larger than males of the same species. :shrug: Males aren't always bigger than females in the Real world, there's no reason the same can't be true in a fantasy world. Maybe male bosmer selected for larger females because... *thinks* well, use your imagination. -_-

Maybe the male bosmer take care of the young and the females are the hunters. Maybe Yffre didn't like domestic violence perpetrated by men, and so made female bosmer big enough to give their husbands a good thumping.
Robert Devlin

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 am

Why not? Female snakes are bigger than male snakes. Some female birds and larger than males of the same species. :shrug: Males aren't always bigger than females in the Real world, there's no reason the same can't be true in a fantasy world. Maybe male bosmer selected for larger females because... *thinks* well, use your imagination. -_-

Maybe the male bosmer take care of the young and the females are the hunters. Maybe Yffre didn't like domestic violence perpetrated by men, and so made female bosmer big enough to give their husbands a good thumping.

Good points; I'd forgotten about Real-Life dimorphism. I think this shows how 'wild' and Primitive the Bosmer are in comparison to the other races.
BrEezy Baby

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:31 am

Women can be just as violent as men. Actually, they're MORE violent. I'm tired of hearing women say "Oh well if Women ran the world, everything would be perfect." when in fact you might see wars started over one female world leader calling another female world leader fat. And when women fight, they go crazy, where as men will try and calculate the best way to hit someone to do most damage.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Women can be just as violent as men. Actually, they're MORE violent. I'm tired of hearing women say "Oh well if Women ran the world, everything would be perfect." when in fact you might see wars started over one female world leader calling another female world leader fat. And when women fight, they go crazy, where as men will try and calculate the best way to hit someone to do most damage.

*ahem* a little too sixist right there.
Batricia Alele

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:23 am

Height doesn't equal strength. Look at the Altmer.

One thing that hasn't been noted, though, is that Bosmer males have wider frames.
Veronica Martinez

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 am

Height doesn't equal strength. Look at the Altmer.

One thing that hasn't been noted, though, is that Bosmer males have wider frames.

Yeah, I mean they were atleast proportionate in Morrowind, but they're kinda fat in Oblivion.
Janine Rose

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 am

*ahem* a little too sixist right there.

So was the post I responded to. sixism works both ways, you know.
Budgie

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:40 am

So was the post I responded to. sixism works both ways, you know.

Yes, but replying with sixism doesn't help your argument one bit. Correcting their statement appropriately would have worked in your favor, instead of what you did.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:54 am

It's because that's the funniest way to have a show. You need a funny comedian and a hot chick, so they don't have high standards on what the dude looks like. It's more a play on male fantasies that the fat slacker can have a hot wife.
Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:31 pm

It's because that's the funniest way to have a show. You need a funny comedian and a hot chick, so they don't have high standards on what the dude looks like. It's more a play on male fantasies that the fat slacker can have a hot wife.

Yeah, it's all for the humor. But I think Wood Elves are used as punching bags a bit too much. We have Fargoth, Tarhiel, the Adoring Fan, Glarthir, etc. I think it's high time we saw a Bosmer with a more respectable role.
Dylan Markese

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:12 am

I have often found it rather amusing that in Morrowind, both vanilla and in mods, I have not yet come across a Bosmer couple. So far every female Bosmer NPC I've come across that was in a relationship was with a male of another race. Usually Dunmer. In vanilla Morrowind there is a Dunmer merchant who marries a lady Bosmer and in the Grazelands you meet a male Dunmer who has a friendship with a female Bosmer in Tel Mora. (Admittedly the dialog does not state that they are in a romantic relationship, but they are at least friends with each other). Same with mods. It's as if the female Bosmers don't like their males any more than anyone else does. ;)
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Well in Oblivion, a female bosmer was married to a male nord pirate, in Anvil. However, she was having an "affair" with the local smith's apprentice, who is, IIRC, a Bosmer.
JD bernal

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Yeah, it's all for the humor. But I think Wood Elves are used as punching bags a bit too much. We have Fargoth, Tarhiel, the Adoring Fan, Glarthir, etc. I think it's high time we saw a Bosmer with a more respectable role.

Arch-mage traven was a bosmer. But really, they're meant to be quirky and odd, like a curious forest animal.
kristy dunn

Post » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:43 am

Arch-mage traven was a bosmer.

Wha-
Peter lopez

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion