Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout:Tactics

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm not sure how, but both of those games slipped under my radar. I've read mostly mediocre reviews for both on a couple of gaming sites, but how do the people here who played them feel? I never trust a gaming rag or site to tell me what's a good game.

Do they still hold up? Would it be worth my time to check 'em out?

EDIT: My bad; this was intended for Fallout General Discussion, not FO3 General. Please move as appropriate. Thanks.
Chantel Hopkin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

I'm not sure how, but both of those games slipped under my radar. I've read mostly mediocre reviews for both on a couple of gaming sites, but how do the people here who played them feel? I never trust a gaming rag or site to tell me what's a good game.

Do they still hold up? Would it be worth my time to check 'em out?

Tactics is still pretty fun. It does tactical combat much better than Fallout 1/2 did (it is a tactical game, so that's natural), and while it does break with lore at some points, it's still great. Not all that heavy on roleplaying, but it certainly portrayed a bleak image of the wasteland.

Don't touch Brotherhood of Steel with a ten foot pole.
Daramis McGee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:46 am

Cool, thank you Cpl. Facehugger! :thumbsup:

I certainly did like the looks and style of Tactics more (from the few screenshots I saw). I'll do a search for it on eBay.

What turned you off BOS so much?
Leanne Molloy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am

The BOS was a big Fat Mistake
adame

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Tactics is great at what it was made to do: Tactical squad combat. Don't expect a lot of role play elements though. There is a decent story that expands on the Fallout universe, but you don't have a lot of opportunities to influence how it turns out. However, it definitely has the Fallout feel even though it does break lore with the presence of gasoline and some modern weapons. The game's graphics and UI are also much cleaner and streamlined compared to Fallout 1 and 2.
Thomas LEON

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:38 am

Tactics is great at what it was made to do: Tactical squad combat. Don't expect a lot of role play elements though. There is a decent story that expands on the Fallout universe, but you don't have a lot of opportunities to influence how it turns out. However, it definitely has the Fallout feel even though it does break lore with the presence of gasoline and some modern weapons. The game's graphics and UI are also much cleaner and streamlined compared to Fallout 1 and 2.

Yes. And there's even a pseudo-RT system for people who despise turn based. The Tactics combat system was one of the things I'd have liked to see transposed into Van Buren.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:43 am

I absolutely loved Tactics. Made good use of the SPECIAL system for a more combat-oriented approach. And since it's squad-based, instead of just managing the stats of one character, you manage six. It took a few liberties with canon. But the story was still decent, and the look, gameplay, and humor are still very much Fallout. Don't play it for the RPG elements, you'll be disappointed. :) But it's a damn good Turn-Based Tactical game. Definitely one of the best games of that genre. I consider it the "X-Com with better graphics" that we've all been waiting for. Even more so than the latest incarnations of that franchise.

BOS was a hastily cobbled together for a quick buck, no-brainer shooter. It traded in faithfulness to the Fallout universe for nonstop action, big explosions, and scantily clad "Brotherhood of Steel" soldiers. Sorry Interplay, wrong market.
Stephanie I

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 am

Its one of the worst games ever made.
leigh stewart

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:20 am

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel_Power_Armor
cosmo valerga

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:38 am

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel_Power_Armor

LOL. That's a good one.

What turned me off to BOS was, ironically, the trailer. I don't think I can link to it here, because I think the imagery breaks a forum rule or two. :)

Talk about hard sell.
Dalia

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Tactics was good.

BoS on the otherhand..it wasn't my flavor of game. It was very much like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which I played because I liked Baldur's Gate. It wasn't a good choice to make, but hell..my friend loved it because he likes those stupid adventure games.
Nick Jase Mason

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Wasn't Van Buren cancelled due to F:BoS?
Rhi Edwards

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 am

It was canceled because of BoS 2 (which got canceled too), if my memory serves. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Lewis Morel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 am

I just bought BOS but can't play it becuase it's not backwards compatible.
Anna Kyselova

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 am

BOS was a hastily cobbled together for a quick buck, no-brainer shooter. It traded in faithfulness to the Fallout universe for nonstop action, big explosions, and scantily clad "Brotherhood of Steel" soldiers. Sorry Interplay, wrong market.

Yeah, not only did it not look very much "Fallout-y," but as a game it wasn't even very good.

I didn't have a problem with trying to bring the franchise to consoles with some more action-packed gameplay, but pretty much every aspect of the visuals seemed to lack any signs that the team behind BoS had even really played the original games. Frankly, even as a "generic post-apocaltyptic" game, it didn't look terribly well art-directed.

Even overlooking that, it simply wasn't a very good game. I've played similar games like the Baldur's Gate one, and Bard's Tale, and actually enjoyed those quite a bit. Brotherhood of Steel just wasn't a very good game in it's own right, though. It had a number of gameplay flaws, and overall was just generally lackluster and not fun to play, to boot.

Most people just prefer to pretend that game was never actually made for those reasons. :)

I mean, had it been a good game, or even somewhat faithful to the setting, atmosphere, and themes of the original games I wouldn't have a problem with it. I had actually bought it when it first came out (and then returned it a couple days later.)
Jesus Duran

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 am

I tried the Fallout Tactics demo when it got released and loved it. Seemed like a very cool game.

As for BoS, I've heard that if you are a Fallout fan and touch the game's CD, it burns your skin...
Emily Jeffs

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 am

As for BoS, I've heard that if you are a Fallout fan and touch the game's CD, it burns your skin...

Its the only way to test if someone is a "True fan" or just a poser...
Dark Mogul

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:20 am

Hmmm...sorta like the "hot wire to blood sample" scene from The Thing.
maya papps

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Except it won't kill you and steal your identity..or will it?
Gavin Roberts

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 am

Just in case, if I see a copy, I'm taking a flamethrower to it. :flamethrower:
Colton Idonthavealastna

Return to Fallout Series Discussion