Brotherhood of Steel story

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 am

It's been five times now I've played the whole thin through and it was really frustrating each time, that BOS recruits me as a Paladin. The characters I play are usually science types and just 1/5 games was an actual figter. I usually play a good nature doctor or computer genius, ignoring lockpick and weapon skills until science, speech, survival, medicine and first aid are at top level.

I remember the first time playing the game - first there was this elder, that did not want any newcomers. And I tried really hard for him to change his mind (I could make you care) but this went wrong. Then I tried to do things for him (Still in the dark) and I stumbled upon a posibility of changing the elder. So I did.

And there it was, the most unexpected thing happened - the new elder said: "Yup, you did soooo many things for us that you probably expect an uber reward. We don't have that kind of stuff, so I am now officially declaring you a member, or wait, even better, a paladin!"

Why a paladin?! I'ma an obvious scribe, and if they have no vacancies there (which is not the case, cause hello - there are no schools there in the postapocalyptinc world and I'm like way overeducated) I'd be an excellent knight (cause my skills are better then most of the NPCs labeled as knights in Hidden Valley), but I'm certainly no Paladin.

What I'd expect in that point was to become an initiate. That would be like awesome. One does not become a Paladin of the Brotherhood just like that, it takes years to train and learn the ways of the Brotherhood. How am I representing the Brotherhood if I actually don't know a thing about the guys.

I'm trying to explain here why I think the Paladin nomination there was an incredibly underdeveloped point of the story. In my understanding they (developers) went for Paladin so that no further quests requirements were neccessary while being a member.
Annick Charron

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:26 pm

DLC: Rebirth Of A Brotherhood - gives a complete new main quest path to complete, help the BOS regain their glory in the wastes by taking control of House's robots and Hoover Dam. :D
Kim Kay

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:55 pm

I was a bit suprised at this too, I was expecting a BoS sign-up like in Fallout 1, You do some freaking hard [censored] and they make you an initiate.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

The Brotherhood in west coast was more of a remnants now, after the battle at Helios One, they suffered heavy loses, only the East Coast remains as a superpower

Rebirth Of A Brotherhood

ROB? bery
KRistina Karlsson

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:07 am

RoBoS - That is something unheard of by me. Googling now :)

EDIT: Hmm, can't find anythng named like that. You sure that's the name? OR is it a wish you simply spouted out on us without explaining?
Cagla Cali

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:58 am

EDIT: Hmm, can't find anythng named like that. You sure that's the name? OR is it a wish you simply spouted out on us without explaining?

Rebirth Of A Brotherhood? ... I've said too much already. :ninja:
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:51 am

Never mind the story, the quest is an exercise in all-consuming tedium.
sam

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 am

Yeah, but you can say that about so many. And I'm adressing the story beacause in this partivular moment of the story there this immersion breaking Paladin rank you receive.Shouldn't be like that at all.
patricia kris

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 am

He's yanking yer chains.

All in all, it seemed so sudden when he turns you from a nobody into a full-fledged paladin.
Trent Theriot

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 am

The Brotherhood in west coast was more of a remnants now, after the battle at Helios One, they suffered heavy loses, only the East Coast remains as a superpower

Mojave chapter is just a small part of the BoS.
Steven Nicholson

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 am

DLC: Rebirth Of A Brotherhood - gives a complete new main quest path to complete, help the BOS regain their glory in the wastes by taking control of House's robots and Hoover Dam. :D

i can see bethesda making a dlc of that

patroling the mojave in power armour makes you wish for a nukeulear winter
April D. F

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:47 am

Nope, Mojave was a VERY, VERY, VERY, small fraction of the BoS.
Prisca Lacour

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:28 pm

i can see bethesda making a dlc of that

patroling the mojave in power armour makes you wish for a nukeulear winter

*sigh* How long until people realsie its Obsidian who made NV. God how am I still seeing this.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 am

Well, I really hope that in addition to some really good stories they tell in other DLCs they'll add some more story/fix thiings up. The Brotherhood story is pretty nicely done, way better then the crazy elder Lyons in Washington who out of the blue wanted to make helping people a priority of the Brotherhood.

What made Brotherhood great was that everyone had respect for these guys. And handing out Paladin ranks to people who were not checked (I was there to kill them on House behalf for Chrissake) is all but earning that respect. It actually shows that their own elder has no respect for the institution he is a head of. I'd rather want these guys to be interested in how does Mr House work and tquestioning me about it. I'd tell them all about it and become initiate - scribe - Head Scribe in notime.

Making a mod that does that isn't that difficult, I'm checking the GECK and the most difficult part are the dialogue voices. Besides a mod is just a mod. I'd be more than happy to see an upgrade of this particular storyline somewhere in one of the DLCs. Really.
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:15 am

*sigh* How long until people realsie its Obsidian who made NV. God how am I still seeing this.

Just to piss you off. :hubbahubba:
James Potter

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:30 am

Talking about the BOS, in FO2 Poseidon Oil Rig was supposed to have a BOS Chapter, meaning that maybe they secretly are helping the Enclave, but was removed due to obvious development reason D;

Then again the BOS in the Mojave only have a minor role in the game,
I love YOu

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:24 am

To be honest I enjoyed having the "knights in shining armor" of the previous game as a minor faction. Enough with the power armor and lasers already. Arrogant tech fanatics...
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 pm

To be honest I enjoyed having the "knights in shining armor" of the previous game as a minor faction. Enough with the power armor and lasers already. Arrogant tech fanatics...

While I hate goody to shoes factions, they annoy me. I find them very naive. But what you going to do :shrug:
jasminε

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm

While I hate goody to shoes factions, they annoy me. I find them very naive. But what you going to do :shrug:

Hey man, I just joined up for the Power Armor and I've become a walking disaster - EVERYBODY hates the BOS!! Still, I'm being snidey and playing everyone off against each other - unfortunately you have to lug around all those factions uniforms and armors! And of course "Ed-e (or whoever) cant carry that factions appreal", d'oh!

PS Is it just me or is Boone not exactly big on conversation?
Lucky Girl

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:56 am

I think the paladin promotion is fine, it sort of makes sense when you think about it

First, you go to where McNamara sent the paladins, very dangerous places, find their bodies and return back to him. This means you defeated whatever killed those paladins.

Then you saved the entire BoS group by fixing their air filtration system, which i doubt any of their paladins could have done

Then you go to Black Mountain, a place which they know is dangerous because of two of the aforementioned paladins and McNamara's own words saying the mutants have been hostile lately. On Black Mountain you place a device that allows the BoS to learn more about their surroundings so they can gain their bearings.

These are some pretty big accomplishments considering the state the BoS is in, what did the current guys do to get their positions as paladins? get the highest amount of kills in Halo 3? (this is what they really have in their vitual reality machines)

I would love for more BoS missions though, they are the best group EVVAARRRRR :woot:
Miragel Ginza

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm kinda trying to get that to happen on my present playthrough. I have Yes Man, the House sometimes loses, and the NCR does like me. I'm not sure but I will do what I can to keep the BOS as my right hand.

I know it won't really work as the game is now but I'll see what happens.
Monika Krzyzak

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:27 pm

He's yanking yer chains.

More like tugging his toes.

I suppose it's because Paladin sounded cooler than scribe.

Tbh, the BoS / Veronica is the one quest aspect that is starting to jade me.
All that leg work and constant by the numbers play, I now just feel like introducing a life threatening slug to their brains from the get ( oh wait I do ).
For a minor faction they seem awefully central, more so than other active threats and allies, and with a larger quest line in time than even some major factions.

Then again PA sells, and the BoS won't get nerfed for that and the rest of their tech untill all Rpg -ers decide shooting things is not the best course of action 100% of the time...
Or hell freezing over.
Jonny

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Universities hand out honorary diplomas all of the time..... why would an honorary rank be any different? You already proved that you are a more than capable asset.
Lilit Ager

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:06 pm

0megaDS, I finished this quest last night and I didn't need to defeat the enemies that killed those Paladins. My current character was a pacifist playthrough, I am level 25, I have Medicine, Science, Barter, and Speech maxed, and Repair at 80. SPECIAL: S:2, P:5, E:3, C:10, I:8, A:4, L:10. Traits: Good Natured

I gathered the holotapes because I got past all the enemies there, with dialogue options that remove them, and while searching for the parts in the Vaults, my companion dealt with the enemies and I found the parts.

At Black Mountain, I repaired Rhonda and the Mutants there were not hostile anymore. I used a Stealth Boy and snuck past them all on the way up the mountain, repaired the robot, avoiding all combat.
Claudz

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:47 pm

I was a bit suprised at this too, I was expecting a BoS sign-up like in Fallout 1, You do some freaking hard [censored] and they make you an initiate.

I wonder that as well.
Mrs Pooh

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas