If I build it, will they come?

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:07 pm

The joystick selections seem to be thin these days for 6dof stuff. I remember playing D2 in the college engineering computer lab with 2 sticks on a DB splitter cable. I never was real good but I loved the game. The shooters games since have done amazing things with graphics but they never really compare with the stomach turning maneuvers you can do in Descent.

These days I am a bit more grown up...only a bit :D I make a good living designing all types of stuff including handheld computers and thruster controls for large boats.

I can't wait for D4... I hope these gamesas folks can make it happen!! I'll be there, money in hand the day they release it!

Here's the thing... I can't imagine playing D4 on a keyboard... it just makes my hands cramp... It may not be great on a flight-sticks designed for flight-simulators either. The Pyro GX doesn't fly like an airplane.

As an engineer the first thing I want to do is build my own controller... Something that could control 6 axis plus have a couple axis left for the guided missile and maybe a couple for head turning. Head turning could be really cool for peeking around corners or looking up to check if the coast is clear.

I put together a concept but, since it was my brainchild it is a bit hard to step back and look at it from somebody else's point of view.

Here's an image. Please keep in mind it is just a concept. I have manufactures in Taiwan and China that can manufacture it. Am I wasting my time?

If I build it, will they come??

SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:35 am

Interesting. I looks like an Xbox controller with a hinge in the middle. ^_^

Although, you might want to do some looking around. IIRC, there was a game pad made with a hinge mechanism some time ago (8+ years ago??) and I don't remember who made it. .. lotta help i am. :P

Like I said, look into it for copyright sakes.

I'd texture the grips or rubberize them (with whatever material is cool these days) hands are going to sweat so some kinda grippyness will be good.
Dylan Markese

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

In my opinion, for some of the precise missile lobb--strategically placing ordinance, a game pad stick doesn't cut it. This opinion, however, is painted by a controller that I had originally played D3 on online.

It looks like a cool idea. I would second Duper's suggestions and request that buttons be added to the underside, because face it, if your fingers are going to be down there they may as well be doing something. "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook.
Josh Dagreat

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:29 am

I think the one you are talking about was the Dual Strike by Microsoft. It wasn’t much of a controller... they set it up like a trackball. Here is a good image and review...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/324/324346p1.html

My game pad uses 3 2-axis gauss ICs to sense the position of the grip and the axis feel more like the action of a gimbal... spring return ect.

I agree that it needs some good tactile overmolded rubber grips.
Sarah Unwin

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:02 pm

I like the buttons on the underside idea but I am up against data issues... I can only transfer 64 bits in each 10 ms transfer on a USB. I figure about 20 ms lag is about as much as gamer freaks will allow without complaining about lag.

There are some buttons on the top that are not shown in this image... I may move them to the underside to free up the thumbs a bit... I like it
elliot mudd

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:30 pm

looks nice .don't know if they will come but i certainly won't ,i only play Descent 1,2,or3 and one other game . i just gotta have a joystick .
how solid

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:48 pm

November 11th 2011. Descent 4 is coming!!!! All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
Hearts

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:50 pm

shape the controller like a pyro! :D :D :D "When you learn to control your emotions and tame them, no matter what situation you're in, you will then truly become king."-Sonny, speaking to a young boy
SiLa

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:29 pm

You sound like a person who knows... where did you get this tidbit?
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm

I thought about that but I wouldn't want to limit the sales to other folks playing, say... Halo :D
Lynette Wilson

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Giddings,

that thing looks cool. Looks like it's split in two parts connected with a steel bar, and you can move each part somewhat separately of the other, is that right?

Some pointers regarding Descent and gamepad-like controllers. You can control D2X-XL (an OpenGL version of Descent 2) with a gamepad, but I found the gamepad to be less than ideal for it: You can either change directions, or slide, or thrust, but not all three easily together.

You may want to try that out yourself to see what I mean and where the problems with a gamepad in Descent are.

Cheers

karx Image
Descent 1 & 2 for Windows, OS X & Linux
Only a dead troll is a good troll.
ladyflames

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:25 pm

Exactly right... The bottom is actually molded zinc...very strong and makes a compelling part. It can be plated in this case probably with black chrome plating. The right grip floats on fairly stiff springs and, by using gauss sensors can control 3 axis of slide as well as pitch, yaw, and roll. I think this pad will make tri-cording a cinch, ‘course the old pros may not want newbs like me having any advantage

but I found the gamepad to be less than ideal for it: You can either change directions, or slide, or thrust, but not all three easily together.

I have been playing D3 (I know... it svcks compared to D1 and D2) It has the same problems with the pad. It is almost worse than playing on a keyboard. I suspect the D4 will take advantage of the new game pad designs. I Hope!
adam holden

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

The big problem with all controllers offering 3D steering via some bigger parts of the controller being moveable is that it is hard to fine control them. I still remember that infamous space orb. It looked like the perfect controlling device for Descent, but in the end I found it just too hard to move the orb in tiny enough increments to fully control the ship, and the orb controlling movement along all 3 spatial axis didn't make it any better, particularly in the heat of battle: Move it a little in that direction too, and the ship went where you didn't want to have it.

The big advantage of a mouse+keyboard or joystick setup is that it allows more finely controlled movements. Image
Tiffany Castillo

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:20 am

You sound like a person who knows... where did you get this tidbit?

I got the release day from my friend who works for gamesas. ^^ All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
Amy Smith

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Dang, played descent on keyboard since 96 :oops:
M!KkI

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Dang, played descent on keyboard since 96 :oops:

I have massive respect for all the folks out there who can do what they do on keyboards, it's nearly magic in my opinion, but I got to say there was once a time we all played pong with a single axis knob...

Times change, things get better, people want the games to be more real... I flew helicopters in the Army years ago, and if you want to move forward in a helicopter, you don't push the stick all the way forward... you finesse the controls. On a keyboard the control is either on or off, no finesse.

Plus, maybe even more importantly, it isn't very intuitive to push w to move forward.

Jason
Star Dunkels Macmillan

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 am

This is all a really great point. I agree 100%... For engineering I use a device called a SpacePilot. It is kind of a high tech version of the orb you are talking about. It took some time to get used to but now I couldn't get any work done without it.

I think it boils down to this... The orb had issues with small movements because it had poor acceleration algorithms. The acceleration should be on a logarithmic scale... In other words; if you push the grip a little there is nearly no movement of your ship. As you increase pressure the acceleration occurs exponentially such that most of the speed is in the top 25% of the grip envelope... I hope that makes sense... it makes sense in my head.

Jason
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Don't worry, I know what you are talking about. ;) Image
Paul Rice

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Well, I have Il-2 and my x-52 for the realism thing.
btw, I never thought of Descent being particularly realistic.
And as I never had the opportunity to fly spaceships or starfighters in RL I find it difficult to use the phrase "realistic"
Vickytoria Vasquez

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Maybe I chose the wrong word... How about "texture rich" :P

Jason
CHARLODDE

Return to Othor Games