Buying a Computer to run Skyrim

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:36 am

To begin, I don't know if this is the right forum, but the only other forum that might work is related to hardware failure. I don't have a hardware "issue" unless you consider not owning a computer capable of running this wonderful game an issue.

On to what I'm looking at. I am planning on purchasing a gaming laptop (due to my work I don't have any reasonable place for a desktop) and I'm looking for some advice and input on whether I'm looking at will function well enough for what I want to accomplish. My aim is to get a laptop that can run Skyrim on High or Utra; the current machine I'm looking at is the Alienware M14x. The specs I have looked at for that particular model are as follows:

- Intel Core i5 2430M 2.4GHz (3.0 with Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache)
- 8Gb DDR3 1333
- 3Gb Nvidia GForce GT 555M
- 500Gb 7200 RPM Sata Drive 3Gb/s
- Internal High Definition 5.1 Surround Sound
- Windows 7

Those are the specs relevant to gaming. So I'm just wondering how well you guys think it will run Skyrim, as I can't use CanYouRunIt until I actually have the computer and I don't know of any other site where I could just plug in data and find out if my new machine would be capable. Any help you can provide is good. Thank you for your time.

Mods, if this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry but since it's not an issue with the game I figured it was more appropriate here.
adame

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 pm

There's absolutely no way you can get a desktop? Laptops are just not where its at when it comes to gaming. You cant even upgrade most of them. You pay 300 less than what you want to spend on the M14 and you'll have a master PC that will max any game and be easy to upgrade years down the road to stay more than relevant in the PC arms race. It just wont be mobile.
Felix Walde

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:02 am

This spec is better than my PC except the GPU (GTX 280) which ranks only slightly higher than yours so I think you should be perfectly fine with high specs.
Clea Jamerson

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:26 am

Will those specs run the game nicely? Ya.

For the money that laptop will cost you, you could mix/match individual parts, make your own desktop, then launch ICBM's with its awesome power.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:13 am

Just get a Dual Core CPU, 4Gb of ram and a 6870... you wont need anything stronger for this game.
Tina Tupou

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:59 am

To the OP: I've got this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/2712579.p?skuId=2712579&id=1218346639131#tabbed-customerreviews

Runs Skyrim like a charm and the laptop is under $1200.
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 am

For the money that laptop will cost you, you could mix/match individual parts, make your own desktop, then launch ICBM's with its awesome power.

Lol, ya know.
Music Show

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 am

I can't make a desktop work because of my traveling. Basically I would have nowhere to set up the desktop and even if I could the massive extra weight would not be worth it. I view it this way, yes I'm buying a laptop that in three years time will not run top of the line games and is non-upgradeable. However, were I to haul around a desktop the medical expenses incurred from carrying such a beast, would easily cost more than the $300 I lose for making a portable gaming station rather than a stationary powerhouse.

For those of you that actually answered my question about whether or not the M14x would run it well, thank you.
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. I would love to purchase a computer powerful enough to play this and swtor. I just don't have the room for a PC nor the money at the moment.
Kayleigh Mcneil

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Pinned at the top of the PC board you'll find this thread: http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1286423-unofficial-will-my-pc-run-skyrim-thread-55-w-hardware-guide/
The first post gives some useful parameters and many tech-savvy members make helpful suggestions.

Hope that helps
Cccurly

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 pm

To the OP: I've got this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/2712579.p?skuId=2712579&id=1218346639131#tabbed-customerreviews

Runs Skyrim like a charm and the laptop is under $1200.

Highly suggest you compare the price of that Alienware to the notebook that was mentioned above ^^^^...because the Asus is FAR better. Sure, it's bigger too and heavier too

May want to look at xoticpc.com for custom notebooks that have similar specs to the Asus but smaller size:
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-15416-laptops-ct-95_51_149.html
Ron

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:42 am

To begin, I don't know if this is the right forum, but the only other forum that might work is related to hardware failure. I don't have a hardware "issue" unless you consider not owning a computer capable of running this wonderful game an issue.

On to what I'm looking at. I am planning on purchasing a gaming laptop (due to my work I don't have any reasonable place for a desktop) and I'm looking for some advice and input on whether I'm looking at will function well enough for what I want to accomplish. My aim is to get a laptop that can run Skyrim on High or Utra; the current machine I'm looking at is the Alienware M14x. The specs I have looked at for that particular model are as follows:

- 8Gb DDR3 1333
- Windows 7

Those are the specs relevant to gaming. So I'm just wondering how well you guys think it will run Skyrim, as I can't use CanYouRunIt until I actually have the computer and I don't know of any other site where I could just plug in data and find out if my new machine would be capable. Any help you can provide is good. Thank you for your time.

Mods, if this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry but since it's not an issue with the game I figured it was more appropriate here.

Dear OP, I've been using 2 "gaming laptop" for the last 10 years or so and while I like the portability, one of the biggest drawback is like what everyone said that you can't upgrade the most important thing to a gaming computer, namely it's graphic card so whatever laptop you purchase now will have a hard time catching up with the newest game in a few years time. the second biggest problem will be heat dissipation, whatever graphic card you get it's not likely to be able to run at its full capacity because that will take a ton of cooling and so far I haven't seen any effective way to dissipate laptop heat. So I'd advise you to rethink about getting a gaming laptop, desktop will be a better choice (this is what I'm getting the next time I'm shopping for a computer).

IMO Alienware has been and probably always will be an overpriced "premium" brand. There are other alternatives out there that uses quality if not so renowned components. I haven't shop for a computer in a while but ibuypower was good place to shop when I looked around http://www.ibuypower.com/lobby.aspx also I usually read up http://www.tomshardware.com/ to catch up with the latest stuff. Btw I'm using a 4 years old laptop and it runs fine on moderate setting, so I'm betting the spec you're looking at will do just fine at high/ultra setting
vanuza

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 am

- 8Gb DDR3 1333
- Windows 7

Best place to post would be here: http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1297566-the-community-tech-thread-no-110/
Ruben Bernal

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:05 am

There's absolutely no way you can get a desktop? Laptops are just not where its at when it comes to gaming. You cant even upgrade most of them. You pay 300 less than what you want to spend on the M14 and you'll have a master PC that will max any game and be easy to upgrade years down the road to stay more than relevant in the PC arms race. It just wont be mobile.

Over exaggeration - it'd be a mid range rig.
gandalf

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Over exaggeration - with the price you're suggesting of £600 it'd be a mid range rig which will have trouble maxing certain games; Skyrim just won't be one of them.
Angus Poole

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 am

However, were I to haul around a desktop the medical expenses incurred from carrying such a beast

I know what you mean..my tower is tipping the scales at about 65 lbs. UGH. It's almost a piece of furniture itself.

Uldred
elliot mudd

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Over exaggeration - it'd be a mid range rig.

It will max any game out in 1080 and at a very high framerate. That's an excellent system, and not an over exaggeration. I paid that much. I max every game out. Know more about PCs. Not to mention 700USD is not 600L.
Izzy Coleman

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:09 pm

My POS dual core CPU from 2007 with a single GTX 260 can nearly max out Skyrim. Buying a new PC for a console port is silly.
KIng James

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 am

In the PC hardware/software section is a sticky thread, named, I think, "Will this computer run Skyrim," or something like it. Should have lots of good info for you.

Good luck.
Marcus Jordan

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:20 am

Laptops are just not where its at when it comes to gaming.

I, sir, dispute this claim.

My http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/ is perfect for it. The settings are maxxed, and the game is gorgeous.
Nancy RIP

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:04 am

I, sir, dispute this claim.

My http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/ is perfect for it. The settings are maxxed, and the game is gorgeous.

And you cant upgrade it. Meanwhile my desktop, which I paid way less for can be upgraded easily. Unless you absolutely have to have mobility with your gaming, I don't really see the reason to waste the money on a laptop. That's why I say that laptop gaming is not where its at. Of course laptops can max this game, that's not what I'm talking about.
Robert Jr

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:23 am

My laptop is fairly similar. i7 processor, 6gb ram and geforce 540M.

I'm running Skyrim on higher than Ultra settings, but with grass completely turned off and at the 16:9 resolution just below 1080p, with a ton of high res texture mods + '4GB Skyrim'. I get 25fps, which isn't too bad considering.

I'm not an expert, but you should be ok with that laptop, you just need to commit alot of time to tweaking the settings.
Nauty

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:59 am

I agree, I bought a laptop for gaming once because I needed portability and didn't want to buy a PC aswell (bad decision). Just bought a PC for the same price with twice the power. Also not very good for gaming, in comparison to a PC of the same spec. Badly ventilated and slower in general.
Rachyroo

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I agree, I bought a laptop for gaming once. Just bought a PC for the same price with twice the power. Also not very good for gaming, in comparison to what you could have.

Yeah. TC cant do a desktop though. He has to use a laptop for his travels. But anyway, I only bumped this because a dude on the previous page tried to say that a 900 USD rig couldn't max any game out in 1080, much less with the price I really said, which was 700 USD.
Monika Fiolek

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:44 am

And you cant upgrade it. Meanwhile my desktop, which I paid way less for can be upgraded easily. Unless you absolutely have to have mobility with your gaming, I don't really see the reason to waste the money on a laptop. That's why I say that laptop gaming is not where its at. Of course laptops can max this game, that's not what I'm talking about.

Desktops are on the decline. The market is diminishing. A desktop doesn't work for me anyway. I have a corner I could stick one, but then I'd have to deal with a big box, a monitor, power strips and cables, a desk and chair. With the laptop, I can plop on the couch, play and have fun, and put it away when company comes over. And, as you stated, being able to pick it up and take it with me on travel makes it worth its money.

But to each his own. If the desktop works for you, then by all means, use it. But your statement is way too generalized to be good advice.
Beulah Bell

Next

Return to V - Skyrim