Bypassing the Main Quest and defeating Dagoth Ur

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 am

I am playing a Scout character (Lord birthsign) that just will not work for Imperials, so the Main Quest is out of the question. He is also a Temple faithful and a member of Great House Redoran. As such, killing Vivec is a big no-no. You can't just go around killing your gods.

I checked the ouch_sunder and ouch_keening scripts in the Construction Set, and if I'm reading that correctly, they each do ~50-125 (depending on how they implemented the Random function) damage per second. How would one go about countering that?

I'm not sure how many health points an Exclusive Fortify Health potion adds (magnitude is 20, surely that's not just 20 points?), and I think an Exclusive Restore Health potion heals 40 health points per second. So while this would somewhat delay the death, it wouldn't prevent it. Is the trick here to combine various sources of health restoration or should I just accept Velam Volas dying for his cause (quite possibly before actually succeeding)? This is a roleplaying character so any intelligence fortifying cheese is out of the question.
JERMAINE VIDAURRI

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Do 1000+ Damage to the Heart and it will be freed / die, regardless of what weapon you use. Then you just kill Dagoth Ur.
Haven't tried it but it should work.
Charles Weber

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

Do 1000+ Damage to the Heart and it will be freed / die, regardless of what weapon you use. Then you just kill Dagoth Ur.

I read somewhere that "kiling" the heart without Keening and Sunder (which is possible if you have strength enhancing-magic items or potions and very good weapons) breaks the end-game script that calls Azura to congratulate you. So no Keening and Sunder, no Azura's ring, which would be a very nice thankyou to miss out on.

OP: you don't have to kill Vivec to get Wraithguard, which is the item you need to equip Keening and Sunder safely. If you're on the Nerevarine path, you'll be able to get an audience with him and he'll equip you for the Dagoth Ur assault. If you're Temple faithful, then the opportunity to chat to your god would surely be a major incentive to go along with those foolish Imperials as far as that part of the Main Quest goes... :rolleyes:
Chad Holloway

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 am

No no no, you'll completely break the script for the room collapsing and Azura appearing (the script will not correctly activate, basically breaking the storyline). I don't even know if you'll be considered the Nerevarine if you do it that way.

If you refuse to kill Vivec, which is necessary for the "back path" main quest, you're gonna have to just find a way to outheal the Keening/Sunder script damage.

Of course, if you've got a more... flexible sense of roleplay, you could just give yourself Wraithguard via the console.
AddItem “wraithguard” 1AddItem "wraithguard_jury_rig” 1

Hilm Music

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Thank you for your replies. I guess he'll try outhealing the damage at first (should be slightly more difficult with GCD, perhaps I should turn it off for Velam?), and if that won't work, he'll just use his own weapon. After all - if he defeats Dagoth Ur, he doesn't need a thank-you ring from Azura. As long as that doesn't break any scripts later on, I suppose.

I'm still not sure how the whole Almalexia thing in Mournhold would affect a believer, though... Maybe he shouldn't complete the Mournhold Main Quest at all. All these decisions you have to make in this game. It's awesome! :)
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 am

No no no, you'll completely break the script for the room collapsing and Azura appearing (the script will not correctly activate, basically breaking the storyline)....

But all that he want to do is kill Dagoth Ur right? If you really want to be known as the Nerevarine:
Journal C3_DestroyDagoth 50

Or was it C3_DefeatDagoth? Meh, one of those'll work,
priscillaaa

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 am

The good thing is that Velam doesn't care about becoming the Nerevarine, since the Temple actually actively persecutes the followers of this cult.
Rob Smith

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 am

The good thing is that Velam doesn't care about becoming the Nerevarine, since the Temple actually actively persecutes the followers of this cult.

Yes we they do.
Kevin S

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 am

If you're trying to play lore-friendly, then surely as a Temple faithful he wouldn't think of taking on Dagoth Ur, since all the Temple followers know that it's only a matter of time before the Tribunal rise up and throw him out of Red Mountain. They are gods, they hardly need your nobody scout to do it for them... If you don't believe in their power to do that, then you're not a Temple faithful. :confused: Of course, if you're having a crisis of faith and realise that there might be some factor preventing them from acting, all the more reason to go get an audience with your god and ask some relevant questions, and see if he has any advice or assistance for your attempt.

But if you don't care about creating logical inconsistencies, then sure, chug super-potions of healing or console yourself a Wraithguard. If you're prepared to abuse alchemy, you can hit 80 points a sec for 5 minutes or so in a single restore health potion if you make it at 6000 INT or more. Since they stack, a couple of those should do it.
WYatt REed

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:18 am

i have heard that is possible to use those two enchanted weapons without equipping Wraithguard. you will have about a split second to unequipped those enchanted weapons. so if you are fast enough, you should pull this off. and because you using the enchanted weapons it shouldn't break the script.
Rach B

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 am

If you're trying to play lore-friendly, then surely as a Temple faithful he wouldn't think of taking on Dagoth Ur, since all the Temple followers know that it's only a matter of time before the Tribunal rise up and throw him out of Red Mountain. They are gods, they hardly need your nobody scout to do it for them... If you don't believe in their power to do that, then you're not a Temple faithful. :confused: Of course, if you're having a crisis of faith and realise that there might be some factor preventing them from acting, all the more reason to go get an audience with your god and ask some relevant questions, and see if he has any advice or assistance for your attempt.

Lalalala I don't hear you lalalala!

Talk about confused. Although I recall reading on UESP (or someplace else, my memory is bad that way) that Dagoth Ur tricked the Tribunal and is now usurping all of the Heart's power and the Tribunal are gradually losing it. So maybe they do need my humble scout (well, a custom class very similar to a scout, anyway) doing this little favor for them.

Or I could just make him a severely impatient Temple faithful that's bloody annoyed with the bad weather around the Red Mountain. Can't even go for a nice walk there!

I think I'll go with my first option.

Do healing effects stack in any way?
Czar Kahchi

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 am

Well the murder option involves looting it off his dead carcass. If there's any way to loot it off his live carcass I could tell you how but I'm not sure about that.

Edit at above: yeah buddy. Restore health or magicka will happen twice as fast if you want it to by svcking down two at a time. So do fortify effects if you're really insane enough to tempt fate by suffering the pseudo-mortal blow.
Samantha Jane Adams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 am

Thank you for your replies. I guess he'll try outhealing the damage at first (should be slightly more difficult with GCD, perhaps I should turn it off for Velam?), and if that won't work, he'll just use his own weapon. After all - if he defeats Dagoth Ur, he doesn't need a thank-you ring from Azura. As long as that doesn't break any scripts later on, I suppose.

I'm still not sure how the whole Almalexia thing in Mournhold would affect a believer, though... Maybe he shouldn't complete the Mournhold Main Quest at all. All these decisions you have to make in this game. It's awesome! :)

The Tribunal main quest is HARD from an emotional standpoint, if you're playing a True Believer. I knew the outcome ahead of time, and I really did not want to finish it, because I knew it would absolutely shatter my character. I ended up giving an entirely improvised speech, aloud, which ran about five minutes. Yes, I stood there and declaimed a eulogy at my TV set. I have no shame. I roleplayed my character as a broken person after Tribunal, and retired her to her House stronghold. Then she set off on a top secret mission, allegedly to Akavir, and has never been heard from since. Hmmm....
GPMG

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 am

The Tribunal main quest is HARD from an emotional standpoint, if you're playing a True Believer. I knew the outcome ahead of time, and I really did not want to finish it, because I knew it would absolutely shatter my character. I ended up giving an entirely improvised speech, aloud, which ran about five minutes. Yes, I stood there and declaimed a eulogy at my TV set. I have no shame. I roleplayed my character as a broken person after Tribunal, and retired her to her House stronghold. Then she set off on a top secret mission, allegedly to Akavir, and has never been heard from since. Hmmm....

:D Yeah, my soon-to-be-Archcanon is soon going to experience the same dilemma with Almalexia. I think he just quits serving Her at some point; I actually don't have any goals for him at that stage anymore, other than getting http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Eno_Romari! <3_<3 Just how cool would that look like when worn by Patriarch! :D The guy is easy to slaughter in the middle of the street like it; he's the worst sort of heretic known to man, he deserves it. Then my character just takes the jacket, and, uhm, cleanses it off his dark influence or something. Probably a minor Restoration enchantment might do the trick. At least it would make it shine! :)

Yeah, well, he might just go back to Almalexia and say out this Eno Romari's utterly disgusting beliefs. IIRC Almalexia will say that she will handle Eno later (which will actually never happen in the game). Then my guy is like, '[censored], well, I killed him already.' Almalexia understands and forgives, but my character can't live with himself anymore, defying his God this way, even when it was unintentional. So he retires to his chambers in Vivec, feeling unworthy to ever again serve Almalexia. (Which would basically leave Her alive, stop the 3rd Era from ending, etc.) Yeah, sounds like a plan...

Anyway, that impatient temple servant could work. There have been one or two believers in real life that have done some insane things in their fate or some ecstacy stage, dunno. How about such granting him/her some temporary supernatural-like powers just like that, to destroy Dagoth. :P
Horse gal smithe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 am

:D Yeah, my soon-to-be-Archcanon is soon going to experience the same dilemma with Almalexia...

I made http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37535 that resurrects Almalexia and Sotha Sil at the end of Tribunal. You can just imagine it never happened :tongue:
Mark

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm

You can get an audience with Vivec without first doing all the previous parts of the main quest. I forgot whether it's based on your level or reputation, but at some point several important MQ characters (like Athyn Sarethi, Nibani Maesa, and Divayth Fyr) get a new greeting in which they tell you that Archcanon Saryoni wants to speak to you. And when you speak to Sayroni he tells you that Vivec wants to talk to you and you get to do the final part of the MQ without having to first work for the Imperials.
Shelby McDonald

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:58 am

Teka Lynn and Archmagister Nelacayne, thank you for letting me know I'm not the only nutcase who takes the game too seriously. :P
(I just restarted a character (not the one in this topic) because Hlormar knocked him out and I can't bring myself to reloading for retries.)

And Dragatus, hvala za namig. :) I'm not sure if my scout will reach any fame worth mentioning, so here's hoping it's level-based.
Matthew Warren

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 am

here's hoping it's level-based.

Must be at least lvl 20, and with 50 reputation...
Natalie J Webster

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:44 am

I still remember my very first playthough, where I screwed up the MQ by killing Dagoth Ur (in it's chamber). I remember saying "WTF what a tough guy I've found in this RANDOM dungeon! But I'm definitely going to kill him"...and then I drank 50-60 Sujammas* before entering the chamber again. 1-hit kill after I was like "Well, he wasn't SO tough after all..." :lol:

Good times...

*Had a lot of them saved up in my house. By that time I thought they were the best potion ever :)
Taylah Haines

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Must be at least lvl 20, and with 50 reputation...

That's unfotunate. House Redoran and the Tribunal Temple give each only 14 reputation in total so together that's 28 and you're still 22 short. There is 7 points you can get from misc quests, so 15 points short.
Meghan Terry

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 pm

That's unfotunate. House Redoran and the Tribunal Temple give each only 14 reputation in total so together that's 28 and you're still 22 short. There is 7 points you can get from misc quests, so 15 points short.

I think you forgot the Sleepers.
Stace

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:50 am

I think you forgot the Sleepers.

They can only be done at the end of the main quest.
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:45 am

Yes, you can get another 15 points from Sleepers, but only if you do Caius' first quest.
djimi

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:16 am

I am playing a Scout character (Lord birthsign) that just will not work for Imperials, so the Main Quest is out of the question. He is also a Temple faithful and a member of Great House Redoran. As such, killing Vivec is a big no-no. You can't just go around killing your gods.

I checked the ouch_sunder and ouch_keening scripts in the Construction Set, and if I'm reading that correctly, they each do ~50-125 (depending on how they implemented the Random function) damage per second. How would one go about countering that?

I'm not sure how many health points an Exclusive Fortify Health potion adds (magnitude is 20, surely that's not just 20 points?), and I think an Exclusive Restore Health potion heals 40 health points per second. So while this would somewhat delay the death, it wouldn't prevent it. Is the trick here to combine various sources of health restoration or should I just accept Velam Volas dying for his cause (quite possibly before actually succeeding)? This is a roleplaying character so any intelligence fortifying cheese is out of the question.

I just played a scenario where my P.C. wanted to avoid any entanglements with any faction. He ended up basically compelled to join the mage's guild, and do a limited amount of errands for the Blades (until the Sixth House assignment). This will introduce you to the Ashlanders, and after reaching 20th level and with over 50 pt of fame, Vivec wants you to meet with him. As a Temple member, this ought to be even easier. If you don't like Imperials, just never seek advancement in the Blades.

My characters are always agnostics, and doubt that the "gods" are anything beyond very powerful creatures at most. I also kill them whenever I get the chance. I do allow myself one 'cheat' since I like to collect soul gems as trophies; I use the console command paluer->additem misc_soulgem_grand X to have Grand Soulgems to store all the Dagoth xyz, and I give myself a spare Azura's Star for Viec, and Almalexia. It is very frustrating to not be able to capture Dagoth Ur the same way.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

I don't know how or why, but Vivec told me to take the guy down. I found the 3 artifacts and did the deed. I was at level 40, so it wasn't that much of an issue. I figured this was part of the main quest, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure how to do the 6th and 7th test of the Nevarine.
Emma Louise Adams

Next

Return to III - Morrowind