Can go everywhere inside the play map?

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I only recently got FNV and I started doing a quest and I had to get to a town that I did not discover yet. Between my current location and my destination there is a big mountain. I tried going around on one side, got killed, I tried the other side of the mountain, got killed again, so then I figure whynot just go over the mountain, I get all the way to the top, its a flat surface and I'm blocked by an invisible wall. WTF. Aint that [censored]?

I'm on the 360, is this 360 specific, or console specific? Or all versions have this same problem?
Lauren Graves

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:47 am

Invisible walls are intentional.

If you can't go around the mountain, and you can't go over the mountain, you need to find an alternative. Usually you'll be given alternatives in dialogue.

If you are following the correct route and still get killed, you need to get better gear, use better tactics or become more powerful.
naana

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:36 am

Invisible walls are intentional.

If you can't go around the mountain, and you can't go over the mountain, you need to find an alternative. Usually you'll be given alternatives in dialogue.

If you are following the correct route and still get killed, you need to get better gear, use better tactics or become more powerful.

Was low level, trying to get as far as possible. I used up all my equipment and better tactics to get past the one side of the mountain.

The invisible walls are stupid. Should be able to go right over it if I want to. Was there invisible walls in Fallout 3?
Mackenzie

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:22 pm

No, but the design of Fallout 3 was very different.

Fallout 3 levelled with you. No matter where you went, you had a chance of winning the fight. New Vegas has difficult areas and easier areas on purpose. Going over the mountains would bypass the purpose of the harder areas.

Also, the mountains should be impossible to climb, but making them physically impossible to climb would make them look very odd due to the compressed nature of the map (distances between locations are very, very small compared to reality). The invisible walls tell you where the mountains should be unclimbable.

Of course, they also stuck a few invisible walls in non-mountain areas to force you to a specific path. This can be annoying, but bypassing them can make things not work as intended.

Short version: It's an intended game mechanic for this game. Accept it and move on.
Da Missz

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:08 am

No, but the design of Fallout 3 was very different.

Fallout 3 levelled with you. No matter where you went, you had a chance of winning the fight. New Vegas has difficult areas and easier areas on purpose. Going over the mountains would bypass the purpose of the harder areas.

Also, the mountains should be impossible to climb, but making them physically impossible to climb would make them look very odd due to the compressed nature of the map (distances between locations are very, very small compared to reality). The invisible walls tell you where the mountains should be unclimbable.

Of course, they also stuck a few invisible walls in non-mountain areas to force you to a specific path. This can be annoying, but bypassing them can make things not work as intended.

Short version: It's an intended game mechanic for this game. Accept it and move on.

Invisible walls svck, even if it is part of the game mechanics.

It is not impossible to climb a mountain. IF anything the invisible walls should be on the parts where you climb, not on the flat surfaces at the top of the mountain. :facepalm:
luis dejesus

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Invisible walls svck, even if it is part of the game mechanics.

It is not impossible to climb a mountain. IF anything the invisible walls should be on the parts where you climb, not on the flat surfaces at the top of the mountain. :facepalm:

True. FNV has invisible walls and they svck. Where exactly do you want this conversation to go? Do you want the designers to read this and go "ZOMG! Why didn't I think of that!?!?"
Mr. Ray

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 am

True. FNV has invisible walls and they svck. Where exactly do you want this conversation to go? Do you want the designers to read this and go "ZOMG! Why didn't I think of that!?!?"

Yes. That is exactly what I want.

I completely forgot about mod possibilities, and apparently there is a mod for invisible wall remover. Gonna have to get on the PC now.
clelia vega

Return to Fallout: New Vegas