Can't improve (fine) Silver Swords even with Silver Ingots?

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:02 am

I want to wield dual Silver Swords which I have two of them right now but I want to fine them as well. I have 2 Silver Ingots but when I go to a grindstone the option to improve them doesn't even come up. Is it a possibility that Silver Swords could be considered a magical weapon that calls for enchanting instead? Help.
Liv Staff

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Honestly, I think it just has to do with laziness on Bethesda's part. Silver Swords are technically "unique" items and so they can't be improved at a grindstone, no matter what. So dumb. :facepalm:
Channing

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Yeah... They kind of dropped the ball with that one. It amazes me how they can overlook things like this. You would think someone there would figure out that silver sword + silver ingot + smithing skill = Improved silver sword.
Louise

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:46 pm

I was disappointed to find this out as well, i love the skin of the weapons but not being able to improve them? that svcks. :(
vicki kitterman

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 pm

There are a few little glitches like this in Smithing with various weapons. It may well get fixed some time.
gemma

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:01 pm

I don't think it's a glitch, at all. It's a design decision. Unique items. Can't be improved.

It's a dumb one, really. But not a bug.
Dawn Porter

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:30 pm

There are a few anomalies with many of the 'unique' items and smithing/enchanting.

You can't improve Wuuthrad, but you can improve Valdyr's Lucky Dagger. You can't enchant Targe of the Blooded, but you can improve it, when it's 'enchantment' is supposed to be from the big spikes hanging off it. However, you can't improve Ysgrammur's Shield.

I can't exactly recall, but I think that you can actually enchant Wuuthrad, despite it having the 'especially deadly to elves' thing...if it isn't it, then it's one of the other 'uniques' with a special feature or enchantment that you can re-enchant.

You can improve many enchanted items and some uniques (e.g Valdymr's Dagger), but you can't improve Skyforge Steel Daggers.

For the most part, these are only little things, but there are so many of them that I actually question the thoroughness of the testing and pre-release quality control....it's almost as if it was only focussing on stability (and a very limited focus at that).
Leilene Nessel

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Why do people assume its a glitch? Silvered weapons are supposed to be weapons specialized for fighting against undead and werewolves not general warfare. Silver is not a good material for making weapons why should you be able to improve it via smithing. They gain a +20 base damage against undead which is increased by perks and weapon enchantments. You want to use them as a weapon do it against undead.

Ysgrammur's Shield, Wuuthrad those are things that should be capable of smithing improvement.
Jack Bryan

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 am

Why do people assume its a glitch? Silvered weapons are supposed to be weapons specialized for fighting against undead and werewolves not general warfare. Silver is not a good material for making weapons why should you be able to improve it via smithing. They gain a +20 base damage against undead which is increased by perks and weapon enchantments. You want to use them as a weapon do it against undead.

Ysgrammur's Shield, Wuuthrad those are things that should be capable of smithing improvement.

Agreed. On both points.

I find it especially frustrating with the latter, because you'd have to do the quests to acquire them right after arriving in Whiterun in order to get any real benefit from them.
Charles Mckinna

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Silver swords aren't really "unique", there's bloody millions of them. Anyway there are lots of unique items you can improve, if you'd have asked me I would have said most of them from my experience. There are quite a few little oversights and mistakes in general weapons improving -- I assumed it was another one. Might be deliberate though.
Philip Lyon

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Oh there are plenty which CAN be upgrade, yes. I have to figure that some of them were just flagged as unique because there wasn't time enough to properly balance them at the end of development.
Mark

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I know. I wanted to smith a Silver Greatsword to Legendary, then enchant it with Turn Undead+Fire Damage or Fiery Soul Trap. Make a sort of "Ultimate Undead Slayer" sword. The "Especially effective against Undead" part of the Silver Swords is innate, and doesn't prevent you from enchanting the weapon, similar to Wuuthrad's "Especially deadly to Elves".
Bones47

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 am

Yeah, I'm not really satisfied with a lot of the design decisions made with Smithing. Personally I'm going to find a good Smithing mod after I'm done playing my vanilla playthrough.
gemma

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:03 pm

I would have to agree that I find this odd. I have no desire to carry a Silver Sword when I have my trusty Daedric Weaponry, but it would make sense that if you can improve ALL of the other weapon tyoes, you would be able to improve Silver Swords as well. In fact, there should be a perk, perhaps included with Steel Smithing. I don't know...

Definitely dropped the ball on that one Bethesada did...
kristy dunn

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I assumed it was a glitch because of my experiences with past TES games. Silver's been just another weapon material like iron, ebony, or steel. We can improve those. If it's a glitch, I hope it's fixed. If it's intentional, I don't like it. The silver skins are nice. Oh well.
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Silver is not a good material for making weapons.

Tell that to the Imperial Watch. Silver longswords were the standard issue weapon for all guards.

Although they retconned it, silver was also supposed to be one of the only ways to hurt ghosts. By lore, they should be a semi-common weapon that is superior to steel.
Elea Rossi

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:09 am

I don't think it's a glitch, at all. It's a design decision. Unique items. Can't be improved.

Why do I have a flawless Chillrend, and a flawless dawnbreaker then?

Nah, it's ONLY bad programming
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Silver is not a good material for making weapons
And ebony is wood and glass makes awful armor. I'm not sure Nirn's silver is the same as ours.
aisha jamil

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:08 pm

It's a dumb one, really. But not a bug.

It also means that unique items are the worst in the game, since even an iron sword can be upgraded to legendary and do more damage than weapons forged in blood to do the bidding of the deadric princes.
Nana Samboy

Return to V - Skyrim