Chris Avellone

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:14 am

I was talking about Planescape Torment being irrelevant to whether or not he should be given creative control over the Fallout series.

Fact of the matter is, he can't be given singular credit for practically anything Fallout related, and what he did create ... a mixed bag. Like Ulysses (goodness, what a terrible character).

I have no ill will against the man, but like Michael Kirkbride over in the TES forums, I just think the level of "respect" for him gets a little awkward at times.

"I'm not being elite, I just think I'm more intelligent and cultured than you due to my tastes in entertainment"

Please mate, it's not hard for people to read between the lines. Get off your high horse and stop being so smug over something as ultimately meaningless as video games.
Scotties Hottie

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:07 am

Plenty of people liked Ulysses, myself included. :shrug:

I personally don't want to see Chris Avellone become the creative lead of the Fallout series because I don't approve of what he wants to do to the west coast, and I think he makes a lot of silly retcons when he's given too much creative freedom.

On the other hand, I do think he's a better writer with a better understanding of the Fallout setting than the guys at Bethesda.

Juliet

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:21 am

Meh. I'd have to agree with a few others here. He's pretty good but some of his ideas are too much.

Claire

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:24 am

I mean, we can talk Andrei Tarkovsky all night long if you like but this was a Fallout forum last time I checked.

Ronald

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:23 am

You mean like how in Fallout 3 everyone [censored] themselves because they could blow up Megaton? Personally I never picked the nuclear ending and I don't really see anything wrong with Lonesome Road. I thought it was fun for what it was.

Jack Walker

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 pm

I would prefer Avellone as project lead over Sawyer at least.

Erich Lendermon

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:48 pm

I like Ulysses. But, to me, he's a broken and very very crazy man. And that's it. Start to look at him in that way.

If the intention of this char is another, like made him a some sort of profound philosopher with great dilemas, then ok, agree that not work.
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:01 am

This. I dont want call it a perfect place to work for him but I do think his support on Fallout projects would raise the standarts of any production in this franchise, escpecially the ones made by Beth.

Just imagine, how much better Bethesda's Fallouts would be, if they had hired Avellone and Fargo. Not gonna happen, though. Especially with Fargo who runs great InXile.
sophie

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:29 am

Some people worship Stephen King. Or JK Rowling.

You find a writer who writes stuff you enjoy, you tend to keep track of what they do. Nothing wrong in that.

Of course, the fans who make the most noise tend to be the most fanatical which can often reflect poorly on the others. Still, what you going to do?

To be honest, I never really got on with any of the NV DLC. I got furthest through Honest Hearts, but the only one I really enjoyed was Old World Blues. Not sure why I never finished that one

Chloe Lou

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 am

Basically how I see Ulysses. Just some hypocritical loonie. However I already know that was probably not how Avellone wrote him and actually thought this was a character with a significant message behind him, when it reality the entire experience with the character was so nonsensical that it just grew annoying to have to listen to his crazed rants. One reasons I wasn't as fond of Lonesome Road as I wanted to be. Great setting and backstory behind it, but that ultimate antagonist that is suppose to wrap up the entire story of NV's DLCs. Not a great conclusion, and not one of Avellone's stronger moments.

However, as someone already mentioned, he wrote a great deal of Fallout 2's shining moments. And the man behind the setting that is New Reno is a man I would like to see more designed by him.

If Avellone was hired by Bethesda, it would be a dream come true for the series.

lolli

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:35 am

Well, the credits for Lonesome Road list MCA as just the Project Director, but for Dead Money, it lists him as Project Director and Writer, and Dead Money is awesome.

Laura Tempel

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:41 am

I think Ulysses was intended to be a bit of both. I thought he was supposed to be perceived as a bitter, angry, insane extremist who raised some valid points, but whether you agreed with his points or not he went about things the wrong way. You know, like every other Fallout antagonist. That's what Ulysses ended up becoming after he was cut as a companion, and I'm pretty sure Chris Avellone wrote him to be a Fallout antagonist first.

Nathan Maughan

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Well Avellone isn't attached to any company that we know of right now, so that really could be a possibility. Fargo I don't particularly give two craps about, other than him successfully keeping inXile afloat. He's just a business man and a great coordinator. But I know there are plenty of dudes like George Ziets who could absolutely lend more creativity and intrigue to Bethesda's (lack of) storytelling.

Really? Not even Dead Money? Not a PS:T fan I take it?

Dead Money is the closest I've felt to PS:T since PS:T. It was so [censored] good. Not to mention the only piece of 'Fallout' I can think of where you're actually scrounging for resources. A+ from me. Anybody here ever read Avellone's manifesto for Dead Money? It's awesome stuff.

Amy Melissa

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:12 am

He's workin' with Larian Studios on Divinity: Original Sin II now, but you are right. Im curious what will happen to him coming years.
Lexy Dick

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:44 am

No [censored]? That's awesome! Would have bought that game anyway, but this is great news.

Taylah Illies

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:01 am

Why is it called Original Sin II and not Second Sin?

Shannon Lockwood

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:39 am

What? Morte, Sigil, Dustmen and Deaders, Pharod ("That's one o' the deeper darks"), the Lady Of Pain, Ignus, Revel Puzzlewell ("You have forgotten your PLACE, Half-A-Man"), Fall-From-Grace, Modron, and the Nameless One ("What can change the nature of a man?")

Never heard of it :P

PS: "Don't trust the Skull!"

Leah

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:00 am

God no.

Avellone is great but he keeps making the same damn existentialist depressing game.

I say that as a (theistic) existentialist!

Torment

Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Pillars of Eternity was the last straw.

He needs people to balance his Nieztsche-devotion.

Sawyer and he about balanced each other out.

Javaun Thompson

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 am

yeah that's how I perceived him. Lonesome Road was probably my favorite DLC.

because it's still the same sin? :shrug:

REVLUTIN

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:57 am

-snip- double post

Erich Lendermon

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:31 am

Most of his content in PoE was cut, fyi. His main contribution to that game was "Grieving Mother" which I suppose still fits within the parameters of your gripe at any rate. Still, as a (secular) existential nihilist, I tend to prefer a man who actually puts thought into his work.

maddison

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:12 am

Chris Avellone is working a game called "Divinity: Original Sin 2" as a freelance writer, I believe.

After some research, I'm curious if the first game is worth the price. Its on a Steam Sale.
Ashley Campos

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:18 am

First, that's been covered already in this thread. On this page. Second, there's no way it's on Steam sale, since it doesn't exist yet. Third, the first D:OS which came out last year is definitely worth the purchase.

Sammygirl500

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:32 am

He was saying the first game is on steam sale.

Stefanny Cardona

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:57 am

Oh Christ. My idiot eyes. Whoops:
Dan Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion