Civil War before or after Main Quest Completed?

Post » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a new member here. Been playing Skyrim since early February.

Anyway, I've started the Stormcloak Civil War Quest only up to the Jagged Crown. I'm also at the point in the Main Quest where Season Unending takes place. For those of you who have gotten this far or further, do you recommend completing the Civil War Quests before continuing the Main Quest? After the Main Quest is complete, can you still successful complete the Civil War? I'm siding with the Stormcloaks (only because both my husband and I are playing, and he is going with Imperial so we can compare and contrast).

Thanks for any insight!
David Chambers

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 am

What's significant about Jagged Crown is that it's the last time someone who picked one side can switch to the other, by taking the Crown to the opposing leader. Once you've taken the Crown to whomever, you are "locked in" to that side for the rest of the civil war questline.

Someone else will have to answer about Season Unending, because I'm deliberately finishing the Civil War before getting that far.
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 am

I've always done the Civil War before finishing the MQ (always as a Stormcloak cause I'm hopelessly infatuated with Ulfric). In fact, the CW is the first quest line I finish as I find it the easiest. Plus, I've read too many posts that say Season Unending is bugged and don't want to deal with it. :smile:
Soph

Post » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Do the civil war first

It lets you speak with the dead nord(s) commander(s) from the other side in Sovngarde.
Lyndsey Bird

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 am

it really doesn't matter which order you do them in, the only difference is whether you sit through the negotiations or not.
Dina Boudreau

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:13 am

I've always done the Civil War before finishing the MQ (always as a Stormcloak cause I'm hopelessly infatuated with Ulfric). In fact, the CW is the first quest line I finish as I find it the easiest. Plus, I've read too many posts that say Season Unending is bugged and don't want to deal with it. :smile:

Of course, if you do Season Unending you've effectively settled the Civil War and it's over. So, it's up to you.

It's not over, it's just on hold until the MQ is finished. After that you can join either side and play it through to the end, or just pick up where you left off.

@ the OP: there have been many, many, MANY reports of glitches and potentially quest-breaking bugs associated with trying to progress through both the CW and the MQ at the same time, particularly when it comes to the early stages of the CW storyline. The Jagged Crown quest seems to have been a thorn in many players' sides in this respect. I would advise you to read the UESP wikis on Season Unending and the Jagged Crown quests at the very least and proceed from there.
chinadoll

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:14 am

I'd say do the Civil War first, but don't get very far in the main quest as other people have stated. I didn't have any issues until my current save past the 250 hour mark because procrastination, so unless Season Unending also glitches when I get that far, I can't complete the Civil War questline unless I use the console to advance all the way to taking Windhelm which is gross.
D LOpez

Return to V - Skyrim