Class (Social Hierarchy) System in Skyrim?

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 am

Hey all,

What are your thoughts on having a social class system (IE: lower, middle, and upper class) in Skyrim? I think it would bring some interesting dynamics and complexity to the world, as clearly lower class NPCs would be living in sub-standard housing, and upper class citizens of Skyrims would be living in mansions, and even perhaps their own castles.

We have already had beggars in Oblivion, and clearly citizens of higher social status, but how would you like to actually see that implemented into the game mechanics? People of higher status would have privileges and luxuries those under wouldn't. This would also address certain citizens having particular jobs, and bring believability to the economy of Skyrim. It would also be interesting if the player could actually be a part of this system and would have to work his/herself up the ladder to obtain the higher privileges.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or concerns in regards to this system?
Daniel Lozano

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 5:16 am

Well there should naturally be some social hierarchy, nobles and commoners and what not.
Add Meeh

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 am

Well there should naturally be some social hierarchy, nobles and commoners and what not.

Well clearly, but that's not what I'm discussing. Do you, as a player, want to be a part of that class system? I'm not simply just referring to seeing different NPCs dressed in different attire and living in different houses. I'm referring to there actually being different pros and cons to being different social classes in the game. Having a class structure would also legitimize the jobs of having to farm/cook/blacksmithing/etc. Depending on your class could also depend on what items you could buy from a store. One's class could also determine how another NPC talks to them. The possibilities are endless. What would your thoughts be towards BGS integrating this more so into the game?
kitten maciver

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Yes they've always have had poor people and rich people, but the dynamic was for the most part not strong. I would like them to pay more attention to the issue in this game.

Edit: In Daggerfall you could edit your "Reputation" which would make some people like you more. It was pretty much picking your social class. I haven't gotten far enough into the game to see if your class makes a difference but it's pretty much what your saying. In Skyrim they could use radiant story too choose your social class. If you walk around with super expensive clothing and some bling-bling people will start considering you part of the upper class and treat you different, and if hang with the poor people and dress like them, they'll treat you like your poor. Both options would have pros and cons.
Natasha Callaghan

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Well clearly, but that's not what I'm discussing. Do you, as a player, want to be a part of that class system? I'm not simply just referring to seeing different NPCs dressed in different attire and living in different houses. I'm referring to there actually being different pros and cons to being different social classes in the game. Having a class structure would also legitimize the jobs of having to farm/cook/blacksmithing/etc. What would your thoughts be towards BGS integrating this more so into the game?

I would think dragon-slaying, cultural hero is a societal ranking of its own nature. :shrug:
Heather Stewart

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 9:55 am

I would think dragon-slaying, cultural hero is a societal ranking of its own nature. :shrug:

If Skyrim follows Oblivion in any way, it will merely be a title that the occasional NPC makes apparent. I am specifically referring to actual benefits, or detriments to being a certain social class. This could determine if you would be allowed to build a house in a certain district, or whether you have any respect amongst other nobles in a city. While being Dragonborn will clearly be an important aspect of the game, TES is far more than just the main story line.
Daddy Cool!

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 7:40 am

Well clearly, but that's not what I'm discussing. Do you, as a player, want to be a part of that class system? I'm not simply just referring to seeing different NPCs dressed in different attire and living in different houses. I'm referring to there actually being different pros and cons to being different social classes in the game. Having a class structure would also legitimize the jobs of having to farm/cook/blacksmithing/etc. Depending on your class could also depend on what items you could buy from a store. One's class could also determine how another NPC talks to them. The possibilities are endless. What would your thoughts be towards BGS integrating this more so into the game?

Oh my bad. I misunderstood. Yes, I like the idea. People snubbing me if I was a beggar, or bowing if I was a noble lord.
Natasha Biss

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 9:42 am

Oh my bad. I misunderstood. Yes, I like the idea. People snubbing me if I was a beggar, or bowing if I was a noble lord.

Exactly! If you are a beggar and for some strange reason are wearing exquisite clothes (and everyone knows you are a beggar), the authorities might question you and/or arrest you for theft.
BRIANNA

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 9:13 am

You'll sort of be forced to move up as you play the main quest, won't you?

You start as someone about to be executed (very low) and I'm sure by the end of the game you'll be "The Hero of Skyrim" which will put you up there on the king's level or even higher.

:shrug:
Matt Terry

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 7:47 am

You'll sort of be forced to move up as you play the main quest, won't you?

You start as someone about to be executed (very low) and I'm sure by the end of the game you'll be "The Hero of Skyrim" which will put you up there on the king's level or even higher.

:shrug:

Well perhaps. Keep in mind that players will have the option to either support the collapsing Septim Empire, or support the revolutionaries wanting to separate Skyrim from the empire. A title is nice, but it wouldn't necessarily grant you certain perks and benefits. Ultimately, money talks, and the player would need to have substantial financial backing if they want to get around (clearly being the Champion of Skyrim wouldn't hurt).
Sophie Miller

Post » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Just aside from how the PC might be able to adopt some sort of social status, I hope that Bethesda take advantage of the possibilities here.

It looks like there'll be some interesting political background with the fighting between the Imperials (and their sympathisers) and the Skyrim natives. But notice that the social hierarchy could cross-cut this in interesting ways. One should not expect that the Imperial vs. Skyrim conflict maps neatly onto a rich vs. poor conflict. Rather, some of the poor in Skyrim might sympathise with the Empire, because they see it as opening up trade and giving them the opportunity to get out of poverty. Similarly, some of the rich in Skyrim might be opposed to the Empire because the Empire prevents certain monopolies.

This could present more interesting "choice and consequences" situations for the player. You might be presented with a situation where you are asked to help a faction who is contributing towards the overthrow of the Empire. Generally, you are sympathetic towards this goal. However, this faction is also responsible for creating an extremely destitute social underclass. Generally, you are hostile towards this goal. So do you take up the quest or not? And how does that affect further options you might be presented with?
LuCY sCoTT

Post » Tue May 03, 2011 12:01 am

Just aside from how the PC might be able to adopt some sort of social status, I hope that Bethesda take advantage of the possibilities here.

It looks like there'll be some interesting political background with the fighting between the Imperials (and their sympathisers) and the Skyrim natives. But notice that the social hierarchy could cross-cut this in interesting ways. One should not expect that the Imperial vs. Skyrim conflict maps neatly onto a rich vs. poor conflict. Rather, some of the poor in Skyrim might sympathise with the Empire, because they see it as opening up trade and giving them the opportunity to get out of poverty. Similarly, some of the rich in Skyrim might be opposed to the Empire because the Empire prevents certain monopolies.

This could present more interesting "choice and consequences" situations for the player. You might be presented with a situation where you are asked to help a faction who is contributing towards the overthrow of the Empire. Generally, you are sympathetic towards this goal. However, this faction is also responsible for creating an extremely destitute social underclass. Generally, you are hostile towards this goal. So do you take up the quest or not? And how does that affect further options you might be presented with?

Exactly! Skyrim will have huge political implications with the division of the province. As a result, this could lead to divisions in the classes, or even complete overhauls or changes depending on which side you support.
Emily Jeffs

Return to V - Skyrim