No class system Mass Effect Andromeda BioWare copy Skyrim?

Post » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 am

So Mass Effect Andromeda now has no class system you have access to all of the abilities on the go on the fly.

Does anyone thing that maybe BioWare played and looked at The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and copied it and said hey lets get rid of the class system and let you be any class at any time?

I don't know why but that's how I feel.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1309671

It's here in the description about combat.

Combat

-Global cooldowns are now replaced by individual timers

-Powers are instead hotkeyed for quick use, no longer pausing to bring up a wheel and aim (you can still pause the combat but it's not how BioWare intends combat to function)

-Dynamic cover system (ala TLOU)

-Still a cover based shooter with a goal to get the player moving around the battlefield more

-Jetpack allows for more movement variety; you can quick dash instead of rolling

-Jetpack has a hover function that allows you to hit enemies seeking cover or survey your surroundings

-Less emphasis on linear, clearly telegraphed environments that tell you a combat encounter is coming (though linear areas are still in the game)

-Game Informer's hands on was positive, feel the game has a clearer identity in combat than previous games

-You still queue up attacks, combos, order your squad, etc

-All key elements are still intact but the studio wanted to encourage more experimentation and wider variety of abilities

-Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics

-Goal is to allow players to try different approaches to combat without being locked in at the start

-However, you can still specialize once you invest enough points into a category of skills, you unlock a profile that can get you bonuses for your particular play style

-This is where class names like "Vanguard" (invest in combat and biotics) and "Adept" (invest in biotics) resurface

-Invest in multiple categories and you unlock the "Explorer" profile

-There is a narrative reason that allows you to reconfigure your points throughout the game so that you can try out multiple gameplay approaches without making multiple characters

-You can customize your helmet, chest, shoulders, arms and legs, more extensive than previous trilogy

-Many familiar weapons return, as well as new melee options like swords and hammers

I do love the class systems in RPG video games, but I guess it's ok to be everything and use everything.

Angus Poole

Return to Othor Games