[WIPz] COdA - Comprehensive Overhaul di Adagio

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:20 am

So, I've been working on versions of this mod for quite a long time now. It started out as a simple idea, I wanted to add dungeon and town specific music like there was in Oblivion, but then after the improvements made to Beth's music system in Fallout 3 and later Skyrim, and music mods like Xiran's Better Music system, I wanted to make something a little more than just a few location specific playlists.

However, this mod is my way of fulfilling a want of mine that Xiran's mod didn't satisfy, and neither did my mod, which only added Dungeon music. I'm in no way suggesting Xiran's mod or any of the other music system mods are bad mods, they just haven't been what I was looking for.

What my mod aims to do, is bring a number of improvements to Morrowind's music system without adding too many specific playlists or extensive feature sets. Instead, I wanted to create music that I felt was fitting with the game's original soundtrack, something I'm very picky about myself, and some subtle changes for immersion. Essentially, COdA is an unofficial expansion for Morrowind's soundtrack that is intended to sound like it was written by Jeremy Soule himself at the time of Morrowind's development.

What music the mod adds:

• "Dreary" Explore music. This will be played in the Ashlands, Molag Amur, Red Mountains, Firemoth, and possibly future TR regions.

• Dungeon Music. This will be played in caves, forts, sewers, ancestral tombs, and other dungeon type areas.

• Atmosphere music. The function of these are similar to the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UknoLYtGE. They will play in unnamed region cells in addition to the regular explore or dreary explore music. They may also play in some interiors.

• A few silent tracks. Right now the tracks that will be included will be three thirty second silent tracks, one one minute silent track, and one ninety second silent track. They will play as part of the atmosphere and dungeon playlists, in order to add breaks in between the music.

A something I would like to add is possibly a system for HP/level dependent queuing of the battle music. With the help of a programmer I'd love to make this all native to OpenMw once it's passed 1.0 as well, but that's for later. Initially, I had ideas for other placements of music, such as location discovery tracks, and possibly some other cinematic type tracks, but I wasn't sure how to go about making them, or how to make the system work ingame, so if I do end up adding things like that, it will be in an expansion to the actual mod, rather than the final or a future version.

What's done?

An early version of the soundtrack is done, right now I am reorchestrating it from scratch and have currently finished the atmosphere tracks. The soundtrack currently contains:

• 19:22 minutes of dreary explore music

• 34:43 minutes of dungeon music

• 36:37 minutes of atmospheres

• 3:01 minutes of short "palette" tracks

• three thirty second silent tracks, one sixty second silent track, and one silent track which is a minute and a half long

• the entire soundtrack, not including the silent tracks, totals to 1 hour, and 40:52 minutes in length

• Morrowind's Special Edition soundtrack is 45:48 minutes long, making COdA's soundtrack more than twice as long as the game's OST

• Oblivion's soundtrack is roughly an hour in length, 58:42 minutes, making it longer than Oblivion's soundtrack as well

• Skyrim's soundtrack is a whopping 3 hours, and 35:08 minutes, while COdA's soundtrack isn't nearly as long, it could be in the future, depending on how much additional music I write. Currently, Morrowind's Special Edition Soundtrack Plus COdA's Soundtrack is 2 hours and 26:41 minutes long, which is almost three quarters of the length of Skyrim's soundtrack, and more than two thirds as long.

An older version of the soundtrack can be listened to on a YouTube http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHIpuFLnytJSSCM9CoLk0C9HUFmHqLwgp&feature=view_all. The entire soundtrack will be availible upon completion on my bandcamp (link when it's done) in a variety of formats such as mp3 320kpps, or even 24bit FLAC. It will be entirely free, with payment being optional.

Right now Greatness7 is working on creating all the nitty-gritty scripts and systems to make all this work ingame, while I am working on reorchestrating and expanding the soundtrack. Hopefully we can get a polished, fun, and well tuned product out for release as soon as everything is done. Stay tuned!

Thema

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm

I think this is an excellent idea! The only thing I worry about is the HP/level-dependent queuing of battle music, at least based on my experience with Xiran's mod. I had to turn off battle music entirely because it kept crashing my game in some of the larger fights (the fight to get Sara in Uvirith's Legacy comes to mind).
Jessica Lloyd

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 am

Mmh, apart from the pitched/inverted music this sounds pretty much like what I had planned for a simple alternative music addon for MAO. I hope you won't accuse us of idea-theft once it's done :tongue:

What you ask for would be VERY easy to customize in that version and our battle music solution is as good as it can get with MWSE scripting.

It really is a solid piece of script-base that Logitech assembled there, and funcitons in a very different manner than BMS. But sure it would'nt hurt to see a different approach - good luck!
Tracy Byworth

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:53 am

@PeterBitt, I was almost gonna ask you about that, but I was worried since you and Logitech added a lot of location specific playlists whereas my mod aims to be more streamlined. I personally prefer longer playlists in more areas to shorter playlists in less areas.

As I said I had considered creating the actual plugin for this using a customized version of Xiran's mod but his scripts were nothing like the scripts I had made in my own dungeon music mod and I had no idea where to begin on such a regard. I also think it would probably be best to stay away from Xiran's in terms of my own goals as his mod adds far too many customizable features, tracks, and location specific scripts for it to be practical for me to use as a base.

I'd be interested in checking out MAO's music plugin, it does definitely seem closer to what I have in mind. I'm gonna continue working on additional tracks for now though. :P
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Sounds like something to look forward to. Are you using the files from the game or the cd?
Avril Churchill

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:14 pm

If you're talking about the soundtrack, neither. The soundtrack CD that came with the limited edition of the game isn't a lossless source, it was ripped from the game files and had no association with Jeremy Soule release wise and the track titles also had nothing to do with the game.

The best audio source for Morrowind's soundtrack is the Special Edition soundtrack which is available for purchase on Directsong, it is available in 320kbps, a huge leap above the game's 128kbps. I would be doing the soundtrack in lossless, but there's currently no lossless source for the game's soundtrack, so 320kbps will have to do.
Ashley Hill

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:36 pm

yeah, I meant the special edition. I assumed that morrowind would be on a dvd or something, but yeah, cool.
Josee Leach

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 am

Well, are you aware of this controversial release http://forums.ffshrine.org/f72/elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-ost-remaster-v3-88897/ ?
I suspect his work is rather based on that direct song version than on the master tapes, but his results are really awesome!
It's as clear as the direct song version, but has much richer mids and depths, much like the Oblivion/Skyrim mixing.
Roddy

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:41 am

I loved! Keep up the good work.

helliehexx

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Very much to my liking!

Interesting what you did with those ost tracks and I hope you find some help in how to set up the scripts.

Will you compose the other tracks yourself?

In my Morrowind I use compositions from Biosphere to create this deep, tense atmosphere. Or something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4aPjbfkSo. It makes you feel even more alienated walking around in the dark corners of Morrowind.

Lizbeth Ruiz

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Got to be honest. For once I prefer something "original Morrowind" It sounds more like they ramped up the volume and strained the string instruments through a tin can. The warmth has just gone from the music in those tracks :(

Richard

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:00 pm

I do very much enjoy Biosphere myself, but their music is much more drone oriented than the melodic tonal approach I'm taking with the dungeon music and atmosphere music, and the mashed up recreations of Morrowind's tracks that I made for the dreary explore tracks.

Got to be honest. For once I prefer something "original Morrowind" It sounds more like they ramped up the volume and strained the string instruments through a tin can. The warmth has just gone from the music in those tracks :(

I agree. I listened to that, and I didn't like it. The dynamics are still there, and there's no quality loss, but everything just sounds louder. To be honest, I never felt Morrowind's soundtrack needed remastering since it was already remastered for the Special Edition Release on Directsong. That version just sounds too exaggerated. It's like all the range from the original recording is gone, and there's no distiction between the soft releases and build ups and warm, grand, loud crescendos.,

I was waiting to upload the dungeon music tracks to post here again, but I guess since this thread was bumped up, I'll just give an update on my progress.

The majority of the music is done now, dungeon tracks, atmosphere tracks, and dreary explore tracks are done for now unless I end up making more (which isn't entirely out of the question), I may try to make location discovery tracks and a few other tracks but for now I'm calling the soundtrack portion of the mod finished.

COdA's soundtrack now clocks at 1 hour, 30 minutes, and a second. That's about half as long as Skyrim's soundtrack, and if you add Morrowind's original soundtrack onto that length, it's about two hours and ten minutes, which is about two thirds of the length of Skryim's soundtrack. I'm not really worried at all of things getting too repetative, since the soundtrack will be much longer. If it does get repetitive I will probably end up making new tracks, but I've tested the atmosphere tracks ingame and they are very fitting and aren't too repetitive. Seeing as each playlist is around the length of Morrowind's original "explore" playlist, they will breathe a new refreshing take on Morrowind's atmosphere musically and feel very fitting to how the original game did it.

You can listen to all the tracks I've made for the mod so far at the playlist I've linked in the first post, excluding the dungeon tracks, which I'll upload later. The playlist also contains a new dreary explore track which IIRC I have not posted about in this thread yet. It is 10 minutes long (and if you don't count the Morrowind Atmosphere's track, which is a compilation of a number of split tracks) it will be the longest single track on the soundtrack so far.

As for scripting, and getting these tracks to play in the game itself, I'm waiting on PeterBitt and Logitech's standalone music plugin for MaO to be ready. I was told it may be ready in a month or so but you'll have to ask them about that, since it's not my plugin.

For now, you can always listen to COdA's soundtrack while waiting. :)

MARLON JOHNSON

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Yes please! Certainly better than leaving everything I say unanswered...

What is your sound setup if you care telling?
I am primarily on a rather upper-class 5.1 speaker setup, provided with full dolby digital signal from my soundcard, processed by my A/V receiver.
On this setup one difference is really obvious between the three versions: That "master tape remaster" is the only version wich finally provides proper low frequency signals to actually give my subwoofer something to do. Oblivion and Skyrim mastering has very rich bass and low-mid frequencies wich both official MW soundtracks seriously lack - I compared them rather excessive and came to the conclusion that this MW remaster integrates pretty well with the Oblivion & Skyrim style of mixing.

"strained the string instruments through a tin can" - I have to say that the mids can give a rather metal can(ish) feeling on headphones and PC speaker without proper low frequency performance. The thing is tho, that this effect is a side effect of much clearer and differenciated hights and mids! I certainly hear details in these areas, wich I never heard before. That metal-can-feeling is pretty much gone when you have good low-frequency speakers as the rich bass-base goes just great together with the ramped-up hights and mids.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences and audio equipment. One thing I cant argue with is the increased noise in some parts, but as someone who loves the sound of vinyls, I dont have a huge problem with that.

I have much more to say about this, but I need to learn better enlgish first :wink:

Thats top-secret stuff you are telling there :tongue:
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Using 7.1 speakers. The string instruments just sound wrong to me. As SWG says also it just sounds too exaggerated. I'd happily swap the extended detail for the original tracks overall warmer, smoother and less brute force style. I like the extra sounds provided by anologue recording. With these digital tracks though and the noise that you mention it makes the tracks feel even more forced and artificial as opposed to adding warmth - like the difference between an Electric Upright Bass and a Wooden Double Bass. I'm generally happy to swap fidelity for atmosphere when it comes to music. The original tracks have a vibe where you could be listening to something that is being played in the world. It draws me in. These remastered tracks though. The sound just that. Remastered, forceful and at odds with the experience. It goes from "That sounds nice, it adds to the atmosphere" to "Yes. I get it. There's music playing. Now where's the damn volume control?" :/

Miranda Taylor

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Valid opinion. So you also prefer MW mastering to Oblivion mastering, or is just the hights and mids wich are a bit less well done than in Oblivion, that bother you so much? Sorry for my curiosity but I am working on a related mod, you know :wink:

My main reason for using the remastered OST is because I want to use it together with Oblivion and Skyrim music in my game. Regular and Direct Sound OST just dont fit in with that modern style. They seem flat, with almost no bass at all and mids/hights that are quite washed out.

You are the native speaker, but maybe "brutal" is a bit much? We are still talking about MW explore music, just with a little bit more punch.

patricia kris

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:40 pm

It is difficult to find the right words to describe it :) Even for a native speaker. It's more an instinct thing for me. The bass is more pronounced which was missing in the original recordings. The thing that I don't particularly like about the remastered versions is how they go with the game - its intent. If it is listened to on its own as an album then while too loud, at least for my liking - the clarity of the instruments fits. When listened to as part of playing the game it stands out, just not to its advantage. It has a feeling of being forced - fighting for attention with the gameplay, its visuals and sound effects. It ends up being a distracting nuisance that for me quickly gets replaced with the original tracks.

Oblivions music is a bit of a blank spot for me as I found it pretty boring and turned it off.

Best example I can think of is the music for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It lacks clarity but it is sympathetic to the world that it is played in. Dark, grimy and blended - humming, whirring and hissing. Morrowinds original tracks have the equivalent. They create a mood of the foreign, smooth and mysterious - you have to strain to hear the details or you can simply be swept along in the general atmosphere - just like the base game :) Stronghold's and Mass Effect 2's music do the same. They work in harmony with the game to improve the atmosphere. For something that has a clarity to the instruments in its music like Katawa Shoujo it makes sense. The player is essentially listening to an album along with reading the story for emotional impact. They are in harmony with each other.

Perhaps better than the word "brutal" would be the idiom "In your face" :)

sas

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:59 am

I can understand that it qualifies less as background music for you. I also like the kind of diffuse background music in games. I love the quite tracks in MW wich dont have much dynamic and epic orchestral parts. But I personally dont feel that the remastered version makes those tracks "in my face", but that might be related to the manyl high quality sounds in my game. Maybe with vanilla sound and music system your point is more obvious.

Ok, I am out of english words for today ... Its a matter of taste after all :smile:

Jonathan Egan

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Looking forward to hearing the difference that high quality sounds effects makes to the game :)

Killer McCracken

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:18 am

I've observed all the soundtracks visually in Audition as I've edited them all for one reason or another at some point, and I can say Morrowind's soundtrack does certainly have a lot of dynamics. There's a clear difference between the SE remaster and the files that came with the game.

Though I do enjoy talking about mixing and production, I'd ask if you two could continue the conversation via PM, as the thread has gotten a little cluttered and off topic about it.

I'm gonna try to get the dungeon tracks uploaded tonight, I'll post them once they're up.

Charlie Sarson

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 am

Okay, so haven't posted here in a while, but today I just uploaded http://www.mediafire.com/?kb9pc7svrsp8lfo. I figure since the mod itself won't get made for a while, I may as well upload it now.

I'll also be reuploading the whole soundtrack on Youtube in the future with the new front cover art (which is included in the download). As for the mod itself, I'm still waiting on PeterBitt and Logitech for MaO's Music plugin to be in a usable/available state. Since It's main plugin will require the use of MaO, I'll probably make two versions of this mod, one with the extra feautures such as leveled battle music queuing, and one that only has the new playlists but runs ingame the same way Morrowind's original music does.

That'll be all for now, I hope you enjoy the soundtrack! :)

Shaylee Shaw

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Hello all! It's been over a year since I completed the soundtrack for this, and in the past few months and after trying out PeterBitt and Logitech's mod, I decided there was more I wanted to do with this musically.

That being said, I'm composing some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHB-M9U4K34 for the different regions in the game that will be played randomly during playlists. I plan to have a few playlists of these, one for dreary regions like the Ashlands, Molag Amur, and Red Mountain, one for regions like the Sheogorad, Azura's Coast, and West Gash, and one for regions like the Ascadian Isles, Bitter Coast, and Grazelands. So far I have only composed the palletes I linked above, but I have a very nice virtual orchestration set up and there are going to be a lot of these palletes to hear. Everything in the COdA Original Soundtrack will also be played ingame, including the "Atmospheres".

But for those who are waiting for the mod itself, don't let my musical efforts discourage you, I have spoken with Logitech and am probably going to create and adapt a plugin with everything I wanted in the mod that only includes the COdA Original Soundtrack. I will try to add some documentation with the mod so people can easily add custom tracks to the playlists if they choose, too. So this should be exactly the alternative to MaO and Better Music System that I've wanted for years.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the music, and hopefully you'll hear it ingame soon enough! :)

Breautiful

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice job! I can't wait to hear what you do next.

Alisha Clarke

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:49 pm

Its not really an alternative to MAO, it still is MAO if you ask me. Thats the beauty: the relatively easy and powerful customization. Maybe this can be reflected properly (maybe authors should be SWG/Logitech/PeterBitt and a link to MAO would be appreciated). MAO was released under the radar for most people for reasons (only 150 downloads for latest version) so most people would assume that you did everything as they are not aware of the original. I look forward to your custom MAO music plugin and will review it thouroughly, but please dont put your name all over it :D
Like those music samples, good job!
Taylor Tifany

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 am

Is there a customization guide for MAO? I want to change the music a bit and remove the player's voice (it's distracting and doesn't fit with my character's personality).

x a million...

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:56 pm

I more meant that it would be an alternative to MAO's music plugin. Mine will still function very similarly script wise, but it won't have the exact same playlists or queuing as MAO's music plugin, hence- an alternative.

Of course I'll credit you and Logitech! I wouldn't even think of not crediting you unless I had re-wrote the plugin from scratch, something I'm obviously not going to do since I'm not the best at scripting. Heck, in that case I probably would have credited you two anyways, so don't worry. :)

Kill Bill

Next

Return to III - Morrowind