Collaborative First F4 RP

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:39 am

see I'm the opposite of all you guys, I hate columbia style RP's lol. I try to stick with character based RP than Factions. Also I agree with Vatrou and kind of had the same idea where rather than RP as major factions of the game why don't we RP as the settlements instead.

Also as far as the spoilers go most are revealed during the high point(middle-end) of the game. We already know that its not like the end game matter since everyone's end game will be different based on the choices we make and people we work with

Kat Ives

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Well there's no reason why two RP's can't be started for Fallout 4. One character oriented and one faction-based. One spoilery and one not-so-spoilery.

We literally have nothing going on here at the moment. Every RP is dead.

Jerry Cox

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:44 am

If we'd like we could start lists of users who would participate in each, and I'll edit the Opening Post to reflect the results.
kitten maciver

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:16 pm

I would like to take part in the character oriented Rp but I'm not actually getting fallout 4 until early December so I probably won't be joining/doing much until then

However with that said though I do have an idea, why not set the RP a month or two before the SS leaves the vault that way the RP(s) can get properly started without fully spoiling the main plot stuff and once everyone is happy the SS can leave the Vault (and either be part of the RP or in the background) and the main game events can start to affect the RP(s)

Ray

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:49 am

Without getting to far into details, the factions play a huge part in the main story (one in particular) and two factions dont show up until after the SS leaves the vault. Plus, what made columbia interesting was we could create entirely new factions while still remaining a degree of canon which can only occur after the storyline or far before it
Wayne W

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Which is why I think limiting RPers to Settlements is a good thing, we can create our custom factions from scratch anyone can post pictures of how they want their Settlements to look like assuming they can take a screen shot. And we're not tied to the main quest line. So we can progress as we see fit.

Olga Xx

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:26 pm

The idea of settlements seems very limiting to me. A settlement usually isn't looking to expand, they don't have the urge to collect technology, they don't go out and exterminate mutants, they're mostly limited to being of Common wealth origin. Whereas what made columbia unique was that while we did in fact have settlements or bases where the factions set up, most factions weren't made with the goal of actually being a settlements, the Enclave had the goal of purifying the wasteland (Among other goals), the Brotherhood expanded to keep others safe, the Pitt and by extension Paradise Fall were set up to enslave others and make a business out of it, Olney wanted to bring back 'America', Rivet City eventually combated the Enclave, The Matheson Militia seeked to regain their military power, Talon company took any job to make money etc.. But these major factions in order to remain canonical would need to be after the main quest unless we decide to just scrap the sole survivor entirely which could work well. Something as small and as simply as a settlement doesn't seem as interested as you would be rather limited in what you do.

Cool Man Sam

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 am

Perhaps at some point it could grow into a Coiumbia level RP, but now is really not a good time to start an RP like that set after the events of F4.

Most of us haven't beaten, and some of us may not even have, Fallout 4 yet. If you want a Columbia from the get go perhaps make your own interest check.
Cool Man Sam

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:46 am

Wasn't this thread made to discuss the idea of a new fallout 4 roleplay? Why would I make an interest check before discussing what other people want, this thread should suffice and there is no need to make an interest check for every roleplay idea thought up in this thread.

I was simply stating my opinion on how settlements would lack the depth that a faction would have, and how despite others not playing the game yet, there are still workarounds to stop main quest spoilers such as scrapping the SS entirely.

However, as I stated before

So I'm fine if people decide to do one later when more people have beaten the main quest.

Sarah Unwin

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:45 am

We can definitely wait to do a Columbia RP. I don't see any pressing need to rush it. However it can't hurt to at least discuss it. The question is how many people are far enough in the story to be comfortable with starting? Chances are you'll know right away if you are. So far it appears to be just me and Casey that are ready to go. In which case that's not enough to start a Columbia RP successfully.

However Smiley if you'd prefer not to have any sort of Columbia discussion in your thread, I can start up a separate interest check. It doesn't really matter. We don't need to clutter up this thread if you'd rather the discussion moved elsewhere.

Edit: Actually I'll just start one up, that way we don't cause any issues here.

Angel Torres

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:39 am

That would be great Andro, if there were more interest in doing a Columbia RP right now I wouldn't be bothered, but seems to be just you and Casey who want one now.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:36 am

Sure thing. :)

So for now on, direct all Columbia/Faction RP discussions to this thread: http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1560280-fallout-4-faction-roleplay-interest-checkdiscussion-thread/

And out of this one.

Euan

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:03 am

I think waiting for a columbia style RP might be best. Also for those that don't know which isnt really that much of a spoiler, You can continue the game after the main quest is completed so I would say power through the main quests and then go back but that's just me.

I would say we should focus on the idea of characters coming together to a particular settlement and trying to rebuild it maybe before the SS even leaves the vault That way it really has nothing to do with the main story. That's honestly the only RP that I see working and that we can launch it right away and start without giving away spoilers

Astargoth Rockin' Design

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't suppose there's many that would be interested in doing a spoilery, character based RP soon?

I'd be up for any character based RP that starts though.

Adam Baumgartner

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:59 am

Well Sanctuary is rather isolated from the rest of the Commonwealth. So I think we could avoid any major plot points by staying in and around Sanctuary Hills. I do like the idea for simple character sheets, with the full ones going to the GM. I feel like that will add a sense of mystery to our characters, and lead to more interaction amongst the participants. So count me in for a character based RP.

Stu Clarke

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:55 am

Just to chime in, I do like the idea of setting up settlement RP set in Sanctuary. And I also approve of the idea of sending fulls sheets to the GM and posting smaller sheets for other people to figure out.

The area around Sanctuary hills is still one of my favorite places to visit in-game so I'm definitely down to RP something there.

Yeah its probably best just to shelve it. Since that thread has gotten all of a whopping 0 replies. Which tells me immediately there's not enough people interested at the moment.
But hey, it was worth a shot.
Ladymorphine

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:38 am

I'd like to get back into RPing. I'm not entirely sure whag you all mean by Columbia type rps, I'm guessing ones more about factions than characters? I prefer character based ones. Vault dwellers and wastelanders are fine by me.
Kelly John

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Columbia was a big faction/nation RP set in the Capital Wasteland.

Had several cannonical factions as big players but also had a few original factions.

It lasted quite a while and had several reboot and/or expansion attempts. It was probably the most successful RP in it's category for Fallout 3.

My issue with RPs like that is they are difficult to GM and, IMO, rarely GM'ed well. They tend to either become complicated by one or more writers meta-gaming, or turn into a series of Summits wherein everyone explains why their group is amazing and conducts trades of large amounts of incredibly rare advanced tech in exchange for some other incredibly rare advanced tech. Also the tendency for the same people to RP the same groups (and often the same characters in the same groups) drives me batty.

Causon-Chambers

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:02 am

I think you're thinking of Nation RP's, because I've never seen that happen in Columbia. Faction trading in Columbia tended to be small-time and more realistic. Boxes of ammo from the Pitt, slaves from Paradise Falls, food from Point Lookout etc. And Columbia tended to be heavily centered around characters and their stories as well.

Honestly what I like about them is precisely that: they aren't dependent on a GM to move things along. Its much more free-form. With a "make it as you go story." Which isn't held up by inaction on the GM's part. Of course that lack of moderation can be problematic sometimes, which is a downside. But overall most players in Columbia did well keeping themselves in check.

I'd encourage people to read a thread or two of Columbia (the last one especially). Because, honestly, I thought what we did there was some of the best writing I've seen on this board. With character arcs that came to definite conclusions, and factions arcs which did the same. All the while maintaing a sense of something greater, as if the region was actually alive with activity.

But anyway, is there a possible ETA on a sign-up thread for this character RP?

mimi_lys

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:07 am

I confess I never read much of Columbia. It may well have been excellent but I'd seen enough issues in other faction/nation threads that I just sort of stopped reading when I started seeing anything that rubbed me wrong. I'll take a look as I'd like to see a successful RP like that without GMs, hopefully it doesn't shoot into the technological stratosphere.

We should probably start an IC and/or OOC fairly soon. I'll do it over the Thanksgiving weekend (probably Thanksgiving itself) if there are no objections. I'd like to do it as I'd like to be one of the GMs and I'd like to be able to edit the OP to keep information current.

PS, here is a link to the first IC thread of Columbia for anyone interested.

http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1479599-columbia-ic-a-capital-wasteland-nation-roleplay

Edit: forgot to actually post the link
Anna Kyselova

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:42 am

I'd actually really recommend the second iteration: Ashes of Columbia. Which I thought overall had much better writing than the first (nothing against the original but I thought Ashes was better overall. Since I think we all honed our writing a bit better for it. More cohesive characters and arcs etc, and eliminating some of the problems that cropped up in the first.). The first Columbia, especially in the beginning, was still in "experimental" stages, so I think the writing suffers a bit. At least initially.

Here's a link to the first thread of Ashes:

http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1507042-ashes-of-columbia-a-capital-wasteland-roleplay/page-1

There's three parts if I recall correctly. Like all stories, it gets better as it goes along.

Sounds good. I hope we can get at least one Fallout 4 RP started soon. Its a crying shame we don't have anything going on in the fan-fiction boards at the moment. :cryvaultboy:

Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:31 pm

I forget if I was part of Columbia lol, I read up on it from time to time and I will agree that the writing is strong but I think we need to see some strong player RP rather than Factions. Not saying we can't do both but buy only limiting it to one style we sort of alienate the people that like player based RP. The last good player RP I remember seeing/being a part of was Dog City Trials.

Anyway hopefully the IC is up soon and smiley are you going to be the only GM for it?

Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:02 am

I haven't played Fallout 4 yet, hell I dont even own it. So do you think whatever player/group I RP as could be from outside the Commonwealth? That way anything I learn about the game can at least be presented to me by all you creative writers and not whatever really devoted fan scrawled it down on the Fallout wiki. I'm not sure if the Commonwealth is isolated making this impossible, just let me know.

I think you're thinking of Nation RP's, because I've never seen that happen in Columbia. Faction trading in Columbia tended to be small-time and more realistic. Boxes of ammo from the Pitt, slaves from Paradise Falls, food from Point Lookout etc. And Columbia tended to be heavily centered around characters and their stories as well.

Honestly what I like about them is precisely that: they aren't dependent on a GM to move things along. Its much more free-form. With a "make it as you go story." Which isn't held up by inaction on the GM's part. Of course that lack of moderation can be problematic sometimes, which is a downside. But overall most players in Columbia did well keeping themselves in check

Couldn't have said it better myself, I loved being a part of the Columbia RPs. I wasn't the strongest writer than but I defiently think if we gave something like it another go I could do much, much better. My lack of participation in the second one was honestly because I loved reading Andro's and Martyr's characters. Very well written and very, very compelling.

Lucky Girl

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:21 am

I wouldn't mind either RP. But it seems we're leaning heavily towards a character RP.

Celestine Stardust

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:01 pm

I definitely want co-GMs. Two or three of them, but I'd like to get someone other than sort of the usual suspects to serve that role. At some point, once we've all progressed in the game, I'm sure we'd all like to see the movers and shakers of the Commonwealth start popping up and I figure the GMs are a logical choice to RP them. Plus it would be fun to see new takes on any returning groups.

I don't think I'll RP as a leader of any of those factions, or if I do only as a stop gap to keep things moving. The Institute is the only one I'm really interested in, but I don't want to rush the game to fully explore their purpose and I think others here would write for them much better.

Here's a proposition...

So we'll have the truncated CS's just stating really basic stuff and then we'll have full sheets to GMs...how would you guys feel about a slightly different approach to SPECIAL?

I propose we lop off the L, as its often kind of a dump stat, and take this approach to stats. Everyone starts with all 5s and the first point is free, if you want you can assign two more points to beef up your stats but for each of those two points you add to one stat you must decrease another stat.

This you could be better than average at one thing with no loss, but if you want to be better than average at 3 things (or really good at 1) you have to be less than average at 2 things.

I don't want this to get bogged down with stats as most don't seem to like any gameiness in their RP, so these would just be for the full CSs, but I think it helps provide personality if you stick by your disadvantages as much as your advantages.

My character will have increased Perception twice and Charisma once, at the cost of one point each from Strength, Endurance, and Agility. He's not super smart and he's not very fit, but he's fairly good at assessing people and really good at knowing when to get the F out of Dodge.

I figure GMs can work with everyone to sort of figure out who levels up when...or what I think would be cool would for us to just have occasional time skips and then have everyone kind of growing together.
john palmer

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion