Combat system like in Dark Messiah

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:19 am

Make the combat system in Skyrim like the one in Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, it was first person only game so it should be easy...

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4uP1YSTovs

Here's a summary of the combat system:

Thieves/assasins can backstab to get an insta-kill.
Melee fighters get the "Adrenaline-meter" which fills up as you fight, and when it's full, you can do a finishing move, KILLING ANY ENEMY, THIS IS THE WAY TO KILL BOSSES. Warriors can get 2 adrenaline meters, giving two potential finishers.
Mages have nice spells like ice on the ground making people fall when they walk over it, so much fun!
It has a kick. Very good for kicking enemies off ledges as you see in the video, and good to gain some breathing ground vs an enemy when you are an archer.
Disarming an enemy (if your a warrior) when they are stunned. Very good vs elite enemies like Vampire Knights.
Power attacks work like in oblivion, except you can hold it down and it wont automatically do the attack, making those "press-and-walk-back..OH-[censored]-MISS-'CAUSE-I-WALKED-TOO-BACK" moments disappear. And they are actaully effective now, you are in full control while making them and not doing a slow attack animation which renders you vulnerable to get god-like aim of the AI...-.-

Look into this Bethesda. Please. Not a combat system like in Oblivion. Make it more heroic & fun like in Dark Messiah.

Watch the whole video before commenting please...
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:14 am

There was a thread like this awhile ago. Im not really for it cause I thought that DM combat was annoying and frustrating. Though, the adrenaline part was pretty cool. I do think combat needs some changes but not too drastic.
ZzZz

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:29 am

Dark Messiah's combat system consisted of lot's of kicks and a few moves used over and over again, plus the fatality kill thingies were dumb. I vote for a better fight style system.
Kirsty Collins

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Dark Messiah's combat system consisted of lot's of kicks and a few moves used over and over again, plus the fatality kill thingies were dumb. I vote for a better fight style system.

After having actually played the game after hearing so much about it, it's actually pretty overrated. Kicking dudes around into spikes and bonfires and what-have-you was nice. Fighting? Not so much.
tannis

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:37 pm

There are a ton of suggestion threads, and it's nice to see people make constructive criticism to tell the Devs what we want and how we feel about their games, but there is really not point. I don't think that they can make any drastic changes years into production and less than 11 months before the release.
Stryke Force

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Sorry, this is Elder Scrolls, not the Adventures Of Kicky-McKickerton In The Land Of Spikes, Ledges and Ridiculous Death Traps, the game formely Known As Dark Messiah.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:14 pm

Of course they should re-invent it to fit the world of Elder Scrolls.

Yes the kick was pretty much a win always but still better than Oblivions combat :-/

Stealth and magic was also 10x better in Dark Messiah
Nathan Barker

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:20 pm

There are interesting features in DM combat, but allow me to point out a few things;

This is not a CRPG.
This is not a CRPG on the scale of TES.
It lacks a worthy story. This is what happens when you focus on a single element, whether it be combat, stealth, or magic. You need to find a balance for all in a true CRPG, and this is limited by a budget of time and reasonable men/women that can fashion a great game for a long term market.

[edit]

Just thought of something interesting (maybe)

DM was developed by Arkane. Arkane is now in the possession of Zenimax. Zenimax is the parent company of BGS. Who knows what collaboration has taken place... Dun dun dun!
Jessica Lloyd

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 am

Sorry, this is Elder Scrolls, not the Adventures Of Kicky-McKickerton In The Land Of Spikes, Ledges and Ridiculous Death Traps, the game formely Known As Dark Messiah.

lul'd
nath

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Everytime someone finds elements they like from another game there will always be someone posting "This is not X! This is TES". I believe this guy just wants more exciting, visceral combat, not a complete DM clone with a TES world.
Multi Multi

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:34 am

Everytime someone finds elements they like from another game there will always be someone posting "This is not X! This is TES". I believe this guy just wants more exciting, visceral combat, not a complete DM clone with a TES world.

And I'm saying that the DM combat was ridiculous and boring. I want changes from OB;s fughting system, just steps forward, not the crap that was DM.
Jordan Fletcher

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:36 pm

I don't see a problem with inserting that combat system to Skyrim. Just make that a normal (power) attack somehow reacts to the target, like in DM they would move in the right direction depending on where they were struck. Adding an isnta-kill backstab cannot be hard, just add the backstab modifier to like 1000x more damage...? Same thing with adrenaline meter. And lower the health of everything in general to make faster combats and skill-depending. Little things like that could make the game better, for me atleast.
Emily Martell

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:17 pm

I don't see a problem with inserting that combat system to Skyrim. Just make that a normal (power) attack somehow reacts to the target, like in DM they would move in the right direction depending on where they were struck. Adding an isnta-kill backstab cannot be hard, just add the backstab modifier to like 1000x more damage...? Same thing with adrenaline meter. And lower the health of everything in general to make faster combats and skill-depending. Little things like that could make the game better, for me atleast.

I could do all of that except no adrenaline meter.
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:09 pm

No. If they are going to copy a combat system, copy Mount and Blade.
Ladymorphine

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:27 pm

Dark Messiah has a lot of good combat ideas to glean from. Mount & Blade has even more.
Stacy Hope

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 pm

Yes mount & blade combat was nice but did you try it in first person? it was horrendous!
Aaron Clark

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:56 pm

lul'd

Laughed Under Loud?
Avril Churchill

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:34 pm

Laughed Under Loud?

No, lul'd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lul
dav

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 pm

This!
Beth Belcher

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:47 am

I'm all for it. Combat in DM felt *real*. I mean you felt like you were hurting the enemies and you almost could feel the pain if you got hit badly. I also hope that I will be able to see my character's feet, instead of just being a flying hand with a sword.
Anyway, if nothing else they should make combat more brutal. At the very least I hope that enemies will have cuts on their bodies. I want them to beg for mercy if they are badly wounded. Dismemberment would be just the icing on the cake.
Miguel

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Thieves/assasins can backstab to get an insta-kill.

I stopped after reading that.
Emzy Baby!

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:33 pm

No,combat is fine lets not take ideas from bad games.
loste juliana

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:53 am

No. If they are going to copy a combat system, copy Mount and Blade.

Basically in agreement, including the horses!
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:04 pm

DM had something going for it but you could just kick your way to victory. The rest of the combat seemed pretty solid.
Jerry Cox

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:57 am

I enjoyed DM what it was, but the scope with TES V is much grander. There were couple of nice things though such as freezing enemies, , setting them on fire, backstabbing moves with daggers, manipulating environment with magic in many creative ways..
Amy Gibson

Next

Return to V - Skyrim