Companions. What do you think?

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:53 am

Before you read this post, or leave a comment, please take into consideration that this is only an opinion of mine, and that if you disagree with MY opinion, you can simply, and politely, state why you disagree, or otherwise keep your thoughts to yourself.

While playing Fallout New Vegas, I have come to really appreciate the way the designers handled the companion system, and believe that it would be a great addition to this new, ambitious project of Bethesda, Skyrim. Now, I know FNV was developed by Obsidian ( or was it?), and not by Bethesda, but I really enjoy companions in games, especially RPGs.

So tell me what you think, do you agree, disagree? But please do remember to be polite, and PLEASE no TROLLING!!!!!!! :biggrin:
James Shaw

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:42 pm

I liked how all the NV companions had side quests of their own, and were capable of dying (hardcoe mode). It definitely adds to the experience. The companion wheel worked fairly well too.
Tamara Primo

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 pm

I agree about the companion system in FONV. Todd Howard has said that in Skyrim there will likely be a much higher number of recruitable companions than in either FO3 or FONV, however they will not have deep personalities and stories (like in FONV).
Soph

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:35 am

I agree about the companion system in FONV. Todd Howard has said that in Skyrim there will likely be a much higher number of recruitable companions than in either FO3 or FONV, however they will not have deep personalities and stories (like in FONV).

That's disheartening.
kat no x

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Great idea, i would love a bear by my side but they will probably do dogs only tho, if they do
jadie kell

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 pm

That's disheartening.

Don't worry, citizen! Todd actually said that there would still be deep, story rich companions. but there would also be alot of generic mercenaries and the like, if you don't want a long lasting friendship.
NeverStopThe

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:05 am

Where can that article/video be found? Hadn't heard that yet.
He got the

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Before you read this post, or leave a comment, please take into consideration that this is only an opinion of mine, and that if you disagree with MY opinion, you can simply, and politely, state why you disagree, or otherwise keep your thoughts to yourself.

While playing Fallout New Vegas, I have come to really appreciate the way the designers handled the companion system, and believe that it would be a great addition to this new, ambitious project of Bethesda, Skyrim. Now, I know FNV was developed by Obsidian ( or was it?), and not by Bethesda, but I really enjoy companions in games, especially RPGs.

So tell me what you think, do you agree, disagree? But please do remember to be polite, and PLEASE no TROLLING!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Can you elaborate more on the companion system please?
Jesus Lopez

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Don't worry, citizen! Todd actually said that there would still be deep, story rich companions. but there would also be alot of generic mercenaries and the like, if you don't want a long lasting friendship.

So, real companions and disposable hirelings? Sounds good to me!
"You, stay here. The rest of you go earn you're pay (or die in the effort, even better)!"
Gotta love monster fodder! :foodndrink: :obliviongate: :ahhh:
N Only WhiTe girl

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:42 pm

I liked how all the NV companions had side quests of their own

Same. Especially Cass' and Craig Boone's stories.

however they will not have deep personalities and stories (like in FONV).

:sadvaultboy:
Jessica Phoenix

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm

There will be a few deep companions.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Guys, the game can't have everything from every game. Sheesh.
*Chloe*

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Yes, I've always loved companions, I just hope we can get a number of animal ones, a dog doesn't need a deep story and personality to be lovable.
Kayleigh Mcneil

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 am

Not meant as direct disagreement with the OP or anyone else - merely an expression of opinion -

I detest companions. They charge when I want to sneak, walk when I want to run, shoot me in the back with arrows or fireballs, step in front of my sword swings then act like it's my fault when I hit them, sit down and eat when I want to keep going....

As M'aiq says, all they do is get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk....

Guys, the game can't have everything from every game. Sheesh.

You know... this forum does provide an edit button with each post......
m Gardner

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:30 pm

I never really cared for companions, so I would prefer them to focus on other things personally.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Not meant as direct disagreement with the OP or anyone else - merely an expression of opinion -

I detest companions. They charge when I want to sneak, walk when I want to run, shoot me in the back with arrows or fireballs, step in front of my sword swings then act like it's my fault when I hit them, sit down and eat when I want to keep going....

As M'aiq says, all they do is get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk....

Well, yes, but if they were to be a little like the CM partners, you can control how they act a little. .....though I suppose you do have to "babysit" them, and they wouldn't always do the smartest things....
Rachael

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:36 am

Companions get in the way.

You have to babysit even the best ones and deal with them being over powered, their limited variety of banter, (Veronica's dress anyone) and lousy path finding.

I can easily live without them!
xxLindsAffec

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, yes, but if they were to be a little like the CM partners, you can control how they act a little.

Eh.... a little.

One of my OB characters traveled for quite a while with a Bosmer archer CM companion, and that was honestly mostly okay. She was set up as.... I don't remember what it was in the CM AI choices, but she went into sneak whenever my character did and stayed there unless and until she was detected. If charged, she'd switch to a melee weapon (she carried a short sword) but as soon as possible, she'd go back to her bow and back into sneak. So she was actually pretty useful in combat.

The problem was that she was constantly getting lost while traveling overland. I'd be running along (she had more than enough speed to keep up) and look back and she'd be, yet again, gone. Go back and find her just standing in the middle of the road, or wandering off to the side somewhere, or eating, or reading a book..... Finally get her going again, go on a ways, look back and she's gone again. I finally just gave up.

Another of my characters traveled for a while with Crunch, just because. Sort of hard to fight with an ogre charging into the middle though....
Hayley O'Gara

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:19 pm

As long as they can fight (badly) and die in hilarious fashion they make great distractions while I get away with the loot! All those guards in Skyrim have their work cut out for them....
Siobhan Thompson

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I personally never used companions, except to haul loot back and forth in NV. I also would recruit Boone, but have him wait at novac, just so I could still use his special ability.

I didn't like when my companion would kill monsters, get in my way, wander off etc. Ni liked being a lone wolf so to speak, so they never appealed to me. I'm personally happy they aren't focusing too much on companions the way NV was. I didn't like how companions were in the spotlight in that game.

That being said I wouldnt choose to completely take companions out, and am happy they are there for those who like to use them. My personal take on why they aren't fleshed out is because it would take time to develop x amount of companions, their quests and backstorys etc. NV was companion happy, therefore it was reasonable for the devs to focus as much as they did. Tes is more about the pc, and I'm glad it's that way.
Heather M

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:47 pm

You know... this forum does provide an edit button with each post......

Thanks for expanding on my thought.
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 am

I dont mind companions they do make for good loot mules. I do hope they make them actually useful or at least make them not screw up so much.
Shirley BEltran

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 am

only if you can tell them to wait and stop and sneak and weither or not to attack. Complex order combinations. Further, access to their inventory.
Katie Pollard

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 pm

While I personally appreciate more in-depth and scripted companions (like BioWare games), we already know BGS is going to have quantity over quality. That's not necessarily a bad choice, as there will be more selection and variety, but characters won't be as in-depth as a result. It ultimately depends on how the system will actually work in Skyrim, and how viable companions will be.
Loane

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Todd Howard's words from the podcast:

25:10 Companion characters. That was a really fun and really cool part in Fallout. What’s going on with that?

We are approaching it in a different way. I would not expect the deep personalities and uniqueness with a low number of companions. We are aiming for a much, much higher number of companions that you can hire or they become your friends and they come with you. The general direction is to make it a bit more dynamic, and have more people that you can decide to have come with you. And in that we sacrifice them having a lot of depth or personality or individual stories. And there still will be some like that. But that’s kind of the direction we’re headed right now. We don’t know the exact number of NPCs in the world that could become your companion, but we’re hoping it’s a big number.”

http://theelderscrollsskyrim.com/bethesdas-todd-howard-podcast-interview/
Phillip Hamilton

Next

Return to V - Skyrim