R.A.G.E AI Compiler [ fixed - maybe ]

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:48 am

NOTE: waiting for mod to post links as I cant add links yet because i havnt posted enough yet :smile: however id.dav has added the 3 links below.
Hello fellow Modders
As we all know RAGE was released without an AI Compiler. The Tool Kit has a lot a potential but is kinda useless without AI as its a single player game.
I started off trying to create a simple waypoint system using nodes and then coding an a* algorithm using the rage scripting language, however it dosnt support arrays very well let alone the 2 / 3 dimensional arrays needed for a* to actually work. Dead end there so I went back to the tool kit compiler and this is what I found...
If you run the map build and enable ASS, wait for the build to fail and open the log you will get an error that looks something like this.
Executing Process: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rage tool kit\AAS264.exeworking path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rage tool kitargs: -finish "maps/requiem/test" "aas_monster48" "-0.000000 -0.000000 1.000000" -fs_basepath D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rage tool kit2: The system cannot find the file specified.Failed to launch xgConsole.exe

So thanks to the wonder that is Google ( i actually googled "xgConsole quake / doom" as it made sense because they all use ID Tech engine and a similar Area Aware System. "xgConsole RAGE" didn't turn up anything useful )

Anyway we find this page here.
LINK 1
So it turns out that xgConsole is part of incrediBuild using the Xoreax Grid Engine ( wiki page below if you fancy reading up on it )
LINK 2
So i decided to download and install incrediBuild ( use the link below to get a trial version. You will have to register to download the software )
LINK 3
After a lot of playing around I came to the conclusion that in the install folder of incrediBuild are 2 files that you will need to get the AAS system to work for rage.
xgConsole.exe and xgHandle64.exe
Copy both of these to the rage tool kit folder in your steam directory and rename xgHandle64.exe to AAS264.exe
Now if you open the rage tool kit and build a map with AAS checked it will actually compile. It will generate .aas_monster files in the map folder within the base/maps folder.
However all this being said I havnt yet figured out what needs to be added to the map to get the AI to use the AAS in game, there are a lot of aas / monster materials and info traverse entities that I havnt looked into yet.
I promised id.dav that I would let him and everyone else know what I found out. So there you go and tho i havnt managed to get it working on my test map yet.

If you delete ( or rename ) well.aas_moster48 and rebuild the map well ( just do collision and AAS48 ) it generates the exact same file so this make me thinks it works correctly.
I hope that others will download and try this out to see if they have any luck with it.
Please post any information about this in this thread so we can use the tools provided to their full potential.
Will keep the community updated as i figure out how to get all this working.
?regards AbneyPark
Emma Pennington

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:44 am

Links:

https://www.incredibuild.com/id-software.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xoreax_Grid_Engine_LINK

http://www.incredibuild.com/download_center_impl.php
Just register and download free trial))
All you need is rename xgHandle64.exe to AAS264.exe and put it in to your Rage tool kit folder.
Confirmed! It works! :D
Mega THANKS to ABNEYPARK!
MatthewJontully

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 am

thanks id.dav :)

James Hate

Return to Othor Games