Console UNLOCK command does not work

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 am

Help. I have used the unlock command in fallout 3 for months with no problem. I can't seem to get it to unlock terminals or safes in NV. Any ideas?

• In the goodsprings school house, I go to the terminal.
  • Open the console.
  • Click on the terminal (id is shown at top).
  • Type 'unlock' + Enter.
  • Console says it unlocked.
  • Exit console.
  • Press E to activate and it says I don't have high enough science.

I have tried many different combinations of selections and the unlock command. Tried it with a space after the unlock. Tried entering the terminal id (in quotes and not in quotes).
I have searched this forum an tried google without any luck. I tried upping my scrience skill (player.modav) and that worked fine, but I still can't cheat to unlock the terminal.

I really hate the minigames and not being able to cheat like this will just kill the fun of Fallout games for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Emily Jones

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 am

Click on the safe itself, then type unlock.

This is also from the wiki.

unlock - unlock doors, safes, terminals or any other locked containers. You can get the unique ID of an item by clicking on it while you have the console open, causing it to print out on the command line, preferably after you type "unlock " and a space. Please note that the "unlock" command may not work on a very limited number of locks, safes and/or terminals.

Christine Pane

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 am

I did click on it, but I noticed it did not have a name (showed "" 0019ae78 in the console). So I tried this on another terminal, the name of the terminal appeared in the quotes and the unlock worked fine.

I guess the schoolhouse is one of the 'very limited number of locks, safes and/or terminals' that it doesn't work on :). I just had the bad luck to try it for the first time on one of those :).

Thanks for the quick reply. Back to blasting...
jessica breen

Post » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Ok this happens a bit, if you try fast clicking on the terminal in more than one spot it may help in future.
Sometimes the scenery clips and you can't quite get the console to lock on to the target item, get closer and just click around a bit more.
This may help.
Kayla Oatney

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 am

So far 'unlock' has worked for me everytime from the console by clicking on the door I want opened. But I don't use it very often.

B)
Connor Wing

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:56 am

I did click on it, but I noticed it did not have a name (showed "" 0019ae78 in the console). So I tried this on another terminal, the name of the terminal appeared in the quotes and the unlock worked fine.

I guess the schoolhouse is one of the 'very limited number of locks, safes and/or terminals' that it doesn't work on :). I just had the bad luck to try it for the first time on one of those :).

Thanks for the quick reply. Back to blasting...

What that "" means without the terminal/safe labeled is that the game did not recognize your click as being on the terminal or safe itself, rather it saw you click on something in front of or behind it. Some are really fussy about where exactly you click, and you may need to close the console, back up or move sideways a couple steps then reopen it and try clicking again. I used to run into the same problem in FO3 (I always got sick of trying to swim up to get to the guy in the front end of Rivet City, and that door liked to fail to select for me sometimes).
Kevin Jay

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 am

What that "" means without the terminal/safe labeled is that the game did not recognize your click as being on the terminal or safe itself, rather it saw you click on something in front of or behind it. Some are really fussy about where exactly you click, [snip]

That is true. I've had that happen.

B)
Davorah Katz

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:53 am

You clicked on a misty effect mesh in the way of the terminal.

A nifty obscure trick: use the mouse wheel to page through all objects that are under your mouse when you clicked. The ID tag at the top of the screen doesn't just show the FormID, but the Game ID as well. Static objects never have a Game ID, as they aren't necessary.

I have never seen or heard of a locked object that doesn't get unlocked by "Unlock". I can foresee how it would happen if the object had a script on it that had some manner of failsafe that perpetually locked it until it was properly activated, but I don't think that the devs would think ahead to put an anti-cheat measure like that in since only a certain portion of the market has the capacity to use the Unlock console command.

It is my conclusion that "Please note that the "unlock" command may not work on a very limited number of locks, safes and/or terminals" was said by someone who didn't know about the mouse wheel trick.
Dean Brown

Post » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:30 am

This makes more sense now. My clicking was at fault. I never considered that the ID shown at top was not the terminal or safe. The mouse wheel trick worked well. I guess some objects are obscured by transparent objects and that interferes with the clicking.

Many thanks. Now my limited cheating can continue :). It's a good thing I don't worry about achievements.
Becky Cox

Return to Fallout: New Vegas