Could it happen?

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Title

Could our world turn into the fallout world I think it could since the threat of nuclear war is very strong and our resources are wearing thin.
Louise Dennis

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 pm

I think there was already a thread like this? But I don't really care so: Yes!! I think our world could become a wasteland, but not in the way of Fallout did. I don't think it will be the use of man's technology that will destroy mankind, it will be man itself, who continues to bring the world to an even lower scale of progression. Not war or anything like that, but the consumption of resources we yet to make renewable, and still continue to consume everyday without thought or a pause to think what we are doing.

And that my friends, is why I ride my bicycle to work everyday :) I'm not a green person, just a weary cautions one who doesn't want the world to end like in Fallout.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:42 pm

dude. TAKE OFF THE THREAD. your gonna be unable to post for a few days like me.
so.. goodbye roleplaying for a whil.....
Doniesha World

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:48 am

dude. TAKE OFF THE THREAD. your gonna be unable to post for a few days like me.
so.. goodbye roleplaying for a whil.....

why?
Penny Wills

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:31 pm

when i posted it, it was considered "politics" for the outside world, and not fallout lore, canon based.
Jamie Moysey

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Simple answer: No.

An all out nuclear war is HIGHLY unlikely.
SexyPimpAss

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 pm

his has nothing to do with politics, he's just asking if the scenario is plausible. Your thread included world nations and WWIII, it was political from the get go
Mark Churchman

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:54 am

Yea but like in the future, since our resources will eventually run out

but right now 2 of the only places that nuclear war is possible, is North Korea and between India and Pakistan
Dean

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 am

A nuclear holocaust wouldn't be anything like the Fallout holocaust, Fallout's science is more than a bit off to fit 50's beliefs and comics. Could a world wide nuclear war happen? Certainly, but the results wouldn't match Fallout's in the slightest.

I doubt that a resource war would end in nuclear exchange, nation leaders would have to be pretty stupid to let it come to that. That was just a plot device to give Fallout's setting a semi-credible background.
Reven Lord

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 am

Simple answer: No.

An all out nuclear war is HIGHLY unlikely.

My sentiments exactly. As I said in the similar thread, while all nations want nuclear capabilities, almost none of them want to use a nuke. It would take a very stupid nation (now) to consider a nuke as anything other than the "OH S***!" plan, as the net result would cause the nation to be wiped off the map.
sally R

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 am

Well I can say that if nukes were fired, it would solve our overpopulation problem.

But seriously, I don't think nukes are going to get us like in Fallout, it will be plagues of sorts??
Heather beauchamp

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 pm

So many nukes would irradiate the world too much to be uninhabitable.
If the war was NATO vs. Some other alliance, with all countries getting nuked, then humanity would simply not survive. Not all would die, but they would die out of starvation later.

Vaults are complete nonsense in realistic matter, and a petty Oil Rig wouldn't save any form of government in any country.

Nations like Finland, Russia and Iceland would starve to death. Animal populations would die due to the drastical change of climate and radiation levels.

I don't deny the possibility of nuclear war, but every wise man that has achieved power in any nuclear nation (even North Korea) are wise enough not to out of random start shooting nukes.

Especially if USA launched in Fallout world, it was VERY stupid because USA was an inch from victory over China.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:18 pm

So many nukes would irradiate the world too much to be uninhabitable.
If the war was NATO vs. Some other alliance, with all countries getting nuked, then humanity would simply not survive. Not all would die, but they would die out of starvation later.

Vaults are complete nonsense in realistic matter, and a petty Oil Rig wouldn't save any form of government in any country.

Nations like Finland, Russia and Iceland would starve to death. Animal populations would die due to the drastical change of climate and radiation levels.

I don't deny the possibility of nuclear war, but every wise man that has achieved power in any nuclear nation (even North Korea) are wise enough not to out of random start shooting nukes.

Especially if USA launched in Fallout world, it was VERY stupid because USA was an inch from victory over China.

In Fallout, it was probably the Chinese who launched first. They were the ones getting their heads handed to them by the T-51B troops. No way would the US, who were winning launch a nuclear strike. As to the possibility of a nuclear war in real life. It could happen. The North Koreans are just crazy enough to start it. They've already renounced the 1953 truce, so I look for something to begin very soon there. And then there is Al-Quaeda. Those loony tunes would not think twice about detonating any nuke they could get their hands on..
mishionary

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:02 am

In Fallout, it was probably the Chinese who launched first. They were the ones getting their heads handed to them by the T-51B troops. No way would the US, who were winning launch a nuclear strike. As to the possibility of a nuclear war in real life. It could happen. The North Koreans are just crazy enough to start it. They've already renounced the 1953 truce, so I look for something to begin very soon there. And then there is Al-Quaeda. Those loony tunes would not think twice about detonating any nuke they could get their hands on..

Real politics aren't allowed but just quickly noting that N-Korea has done this stuff many times before.

Back on topic, what I feel to be the most unrealistic thing in Fallout is the animal population. Brahmins are a joke and Floaters and such but for example Centaur's body could not function with so diverse system, and so many heads (in classics they had several heads. Two IIRC).
Super Mutants are realistic but their appearance is not. There is no way a human can turn yellow due to growing up fast. Their stupidity is realistic, though, since apparently FEV only mutates stuff like skin, muscles and organs.
Eliza Potter

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:59 pm

As For Lore, It would be stupid for other Nations to wage war (Possibly Nuke) Against Each other because "US" And "China" Nuked Them selves. Why on God's Living Earth would they do such a thing? they could easily go back to Alaska or South Pole and Use the Remaining Oil There...
And, The F.E.V. By the Rules of Medicine (Not Science or SCIENCE! ) No Virus of any sort or Origin Can Cause Mass Changes To The Human Body. Virus Cannot Reproduce Outside A living body of A Living form, So How do Super Mutants Reproduce?
oh God... There is so much to tell...
Scotties Hottie

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:25 am

As For Lore, It would be stupid for other Nations to wage war (Possibly Nuke) Against Each other because "US" And "China" Nuked Them selves. Why on God's Living Earth would they do such a thing? they could easily go back to Alaska or South Pole and Use the Remaining Oil There...
And, The F.E.V. By the Rules of Medicine (Not Science or SCIENCE! ) No Virus of any sort or Origin Can Cause Mass Changes To The Human Body. Virus Cannot Reproduce Outside A living body of A Living form, So How do Super Mutants Reproduce?

well you see when a super mutant and another super mutant really like each other they go out and bash a poor wastelanders head in and drag his unconscious body back to vault 87 where he gets gassed. that's basically the gist of it.
Tom

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:51 am

well thats something that wouldnt happen in RL nuclear exchange, atleast. (IF the other nations wasnt bombed by China/US first that is, is there anything about this in the lore?)

the rest of the world must have been really americanized to think like that when seeing the nukes fly over them to china or US.

"oh hey! thats american nukes flying east! i better launch mine too so i wont miss out on the auction/go cowboy gung-ho style"
Carys

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 pm

well thats something that wouldnt happen in RL nuclear exchange, atleast. (IF the other nations wasnt bombed by China/US first that is, is there anything about this in the lore?)

the rest of the world must have been really americanized to think like that when seeing the nukes fly over them to china or US.

"oh hey! thats american nukes flying east! i better launch mine too so i wont miss out on the auction/go cowboy gung-ho style"

I'm not trying to be snide here, but let me tell you why, if one major nation released its weapons on another you would see EVERYONE fire:

Lets say China and the US go beyond the point of sanity and authorize a release of nuclear missiles. The Russians (or the Brits, or the French) WOULD NOT KNOW AT FIRST if the strike was directed at them (The time to figure out the actual impact point of an RV varies, but lets say it's 10 min from launch) and they would have to make a decision RIGHT NOW on whether or not to risk losing their strategic assets or worse their citizens. When missiles start going over the North Pole... EVERYONE is going to launch.
Emily Jones

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls
Pat RiMsey

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 am

nukes wont make drastic changes to the weather global warming will though and its a 100% likely that global warming will be worse then a few nukes lol its is what is going to turn the US in to a desert not nukes
Sherry Speakman

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Well, from around 1960 to 1991 people did not ask themselves if it could happen, they were more asking when it would happen.

During the Cuban missile crisis in 1962 and the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989 the world was closest to have it really happen.

With the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1992 the likeliness dropped immensily.
Michael Korkia

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:54 pm

I doubt that a nuclear exchange could occur between two nuclear capable nations because nukes are designed as a deterrent. Because of mutually assured destruction if during the cold war Russia launched some nukes America would launch theirs and both countries would be destroyed. But military bases outside of the country could survive and launch their nukes, causing several nuclear salvos in which other countries would launch their nukes and... :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: ...boom, millions dead.

Edit: I thought the ban on discussing politics was because some countries censor webpages like google and they might not take a liking to certain discussions.
Pumpkin

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:34 pm

nukes wont make drastic changes to the weather global warming will though and its a 100% likely that global warming will be worse then a few nukes lol its is what is going to turn the US in to a desert not nukes

Pff, Global warming... come to San A-[censored]-tonio if you want some warming! BLARGH! -turns to ashes-
Vickey Martinez

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:31 am

I think there was already a thread like this? But I don't really care so: Yes!! I think our world could become a wasteland, but not in the way of Fallout did. I don't think it will be the use of man's technology that will destroy mankind, it will be man itself, who continues to bring the world to an even lower scale of progression. Not war or anything like that, but the consumption of resources we yet to make renewable, and still continue to consume everyday without thought or a pause to think what we are doing.

And that my friends, is why I ride my bicycle to work everyday :) I'm not a green person, just a weary cautions one who doesn't want the world to end like in Fallout.

It will be nuclear weapons. I wont get into why, as because it would be political its not aloud. Theres always a possibility it will be global warming and such though.

Its not stupid to think countries would start to nuke eachother if China and the US went at it. Most countries are friends/allies with eachother. You help your friends and allies. Besides, the US and China would nuke other countries they are allied to (ex if China and Russia are allies, the US would nuke both as they are both potential enemies).

Nukes do cause drastic changes in global warming. Thats why most countries use underground nuclear testing, as its been proven nukes can destroy the ozone layer and heat up the planet drastically.
Crystal Clear

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:59 am

I don't think so, if there were to be a nuclear war we'd be dead immediately since nukes do a lot more damage in the real world.
Tanya Parra

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion