Creation Kit Feature - Hot Loading Plugins

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Hot diggity! (I believe that's the technical term).

I'm looking forward to trying this one out. It's taking me about 20 minutes per iteration at the moment to test one radiant quest with a clean save
Karine laverre

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 am

I'm looking forward to trying this one out. It's taking me about 20 minutes per iteration at the moment to test one radiant quest with a clean save

Bear in mind RadHamster's disclaimer regarding Radiant Quests:

Confirmed to load incorrectly (or at least, not as you might expect):
  • Changes to radiant quests (i.e. quests that were triggered by a world event) will stop those quests if they were running (and will not automatically restart them).

...although does running the new ReloadScript command fix the issue?
steve brewin

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:55 am

Changes to radiant quests (i.e. quests that were triggered by a world event) will stop those quests if they were running (and will not automatically restart them).

Actually, that's perfect. It means that I'm guaranteed to start the quest anew each time :)

Of course, that's assuming that the stopping of the quest is the only oddity when it reloads. It might be faster to change it to a non-radiant until I'm sure the quest content is working. Activate it from a test cell with a button or something.
Bonnie Clyde

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 am

Please also note my earlier caveat, which applies to all quests, radiant or otherwise:

Important caveat: at the moment, any quest that is present in the plugin and running in the game will be restarted when you hot-load the plugin.

So, if you are in the middle of a quest, you should not expect to be able to maintain the current quest state across a hot-load of a plug-in that includes changes to that quest.

The safest approach (in the sense of "least likely to fail or give you weird results") is to make a save prior to even starting the quest that you're developing. After you hot-load your plugin, also reload that save.

And again, depending on how you've changed your quest, that still might not work right.

The general rule when using hot-loading is: safety not guaranteed.
Soph

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:45 am

Wow, this will be a major time saver. I am constantly loading up the game to check out changes made in the CK.
Olga Xx

Post » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 pm

...Now I have to get rid of this habit of swiftly qqq'ing out of the game :ermm:

Me too! I still kick myself regularly when I exit the game before realizing that's no longer necessary in most cases!
Donatus Uwasomba

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim